The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Web Videos- Youtube or Flash / .wmv / etc? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I've been going back and forth on this for a while so I'd like to know some people's thoughts on this one.

When putting videos on your own website, do you personally perfer using YouTube as your source, or using Flash and inserting them from your own server?

I understand the various pros and cons.

With Your own vids, they stay on your site and don't get the chance to wander off (as you know, clicking on the vid will take them to youtube), they're not subject to youtube "maintenance" and some believe it looks more professional to not have the youtube logo there.

With Youtube as your host, they load very fast, take up almost no room on your own storage, and allow them to be seen by possibly a wider audience and it's compatible with almost everyone who uses internet faster than a dial-up modem (which is almost everyone in recent years) and, due to YouTube's widespread popularity, some clients are more comfortable viewing videos they know aren't going to compromise their systems.

Obviously with my lists, I'm leaning more towards using YouTube, but I really want to hear others' thoughts on this.

Thank you kindly in advance for your intelligent, well-thought out responses.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
For me the pros of youtube far outweigh the cons. Especially the ease of it for someone who is technically challenged like I am. I'd like to know what helps SEO more. This is a fascinating subject to me and there seems to be differences of opinion on it. But from what I've heard a youtube or google video increases your SEO ranking more. In fact, if you do it right, someone doing a google search may even find your youtube video , thus finding you, that way. That is why it is important to put your contact information right on your video.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another option is to do both.

I put my video onto Google Video, and I also had it put on my website in Flash. The Google Video isn't on my website at all, but there is a link to my website from my video online at Google Video (can be a part of doing SEO for your website).

I preferred the Flash version, because I didn't want to have ads for Google or YouTube on my website. I felt it just looked more professional. It looked like I could "afford" to put the video on my own site.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Personally, I always think flash versions look best. You can decide the size and quality, have a player that matches the layout of your site, etc. Combining Dreamweaver and Premiere Pro makes this very easy. Although I do think that a section of your site should have the demo available in multiple formats (mainly for agencies). Check out http://www.KevinVinerMagic.com/Promo-Kit.aspx to see what I mean.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I prefer a combo approach.

First, I encode to Apple's H.264 Quicktime codec, formatted for mobile devices like the iPhone.

Then I use a Flash player to play this file (thanks to Flash being able to play H.264 content).

So now, instead of having a WMV, FLV, MOV, etc., I have one file that plays on pretty much everything. And I can still have the Quicktime video show for those on Macs or iPhones by using CSS.

I prefer the H.264 codec due to its quality and file size.

And most web hosting options give us pretty much unlimited bandwidth, anyway, so why worry about bandwidth?

Its all about the branding.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I agree with Donald & Scott.

I used to embed my YouTube video on my website. Then I read another thread here a while back that basically opined that none of us are going to have a bandwidth issue from too many people visiting our websites and watching the streaming video. Therefore, hosting your video on another site to save your own bandwidth became a moot point for me.

Also, it came to my attention that some businesses and schools block sites such as YouTube, and in doing so, prevent your video from being seen. It is for this reason that I convert all of my video to .swf flash files and host them myself.

My 2¢

Chris
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
I edit mine then compile an mpeg file. You can upload this to YouTube. The upload will take an hour or more. The benefit is that the viewer will get the option to select the high quality version (which will take longer to load, but will be very good quality).
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
Flash videos are great because they start quickly (whereas the visitor has to wait on wmv files to download).

I'm not so keen on the idea of putting YouTube videos directly onto a website. Think it might depend on your target market. If going after a corporate decision maker, or another higher level market, using YouTube videos on your site might not be the best idea.

For those niches, putting a YouTube video on your professional website is somewhat similar to passing out business cards that say on the back, "Free business cards from VistaPrint".

For some, it can be interpreted along the lines of, "I'm not yet successful enough to have enough space on my server for Flash videos", or "I don't have the money to hire a professional website designer." You shoot yourself in the foot. When it comes to closing a sale, and getting hire paid bookings, don't skimp.

On the other hand, if your target market are birthdays, VFWs and the like, then YouTube seems a great option.

Definitely agree that having a separate account on YouTube is a plus. Brings in traffic that you might not otherwise have.
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
As a web BROWSER my personal preference is embedded YouTube videos. I hate weird formats, for example I have trouble with whatever format Jay Sankey uses on his website.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 18:35, Futureal wrote:
As a web BROWSER my personal preference is embedded YouTube videos. I hate weird formats

So... that would be a vote for Flash, then?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Very good debate folks. Seems like the vast majority favor Flash as opposed to a youtube video. This is certainly not the first time I’m in the minority! However, I don’t think anyone has answered my question.

Quote:
On 2009-02-24 06:28, Ken Northridge wrote:
...I'd like to know what helps SEO more. This is a fascinating subject to me and there seems to be differences of opinion on it. But from what I've heard a youtube or google video increases your SEO ranking more....

Is there a difference?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I LOVE when it's posted as an embedded Quicktime (H.264 is usually best) because I can save the video to my desktop (with Quicktime Pro). Then I have it for reference and can show friends without having to connect to the internet.

Youtube videos are cool, especially now that they have an HD option. I will admit that I almost always end up wondering and clicking on related videos once I'm there.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I just asked a motivational speaker friend of mine who uses embedded youtube clips for his website videos if he has had any problems with some businesses blocking youtube and he confirms that it is a big problem. Thanks to Christopher Starr for pointing this out as I did not think about that.

Additionally I think it does look more pro to stay away from youtube although for some I can see it is a more practical option for various reasons and might be the best option in some cases.

My webmaster is about to put some new vids on my site and I am going with a flash player.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Web Videos- Youtube or Flash / .wmv / etc? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL