The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Doug Henning and an extreme close-up vanishing performance I saw him do on TV years ago (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Hi!

Not sure if this is the right category in which to post this question, but here goes: A long, long time ago I saw Doug Henning performing on TV. One close-up effect that he did has always stuck in my mind. I'm not sure of the details surrounding the effect, but what he did was tear a small piece of paper about the size of a playing card into two pieces. Then he stacked those two pieces and tore them into four pieces. After each successive stacking and tear, the pieces got smaller and smaller until they literally vanished from his fingers. I remember the camera being very close-up to his hands as this happened. I'll never forget that effect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a similar effect that can be purchased, studied, perfected, and then performed in a similar manner? What was so "different" about this effect was how extremely close-up the camera was to Henning's hands as he did it. Then...suddenly...the pieces were gone!

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Frank
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Torn and restore cigarette paper is the name of the effect.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Hmmm - doesn't sound like a torn and restored cigarette paper to me, Mago! Sounds like a torn then vanishing playing card...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
quote; ".....what he did was tear a small piece of paper about the size of a playing card into two pieces. Then he stacked those two pieces and tore them into four pieces. After each successive stacking and tear, the pieces got smaller and smaller until they literally vanished from his fingers."

I saw him performing that effect in Atlanta, Ga. back in the 80s. It is really a beauty. He used cigarette paper like the ones people use to roll up their own cigarettes.

Al Koran has a nice routine on his book called Professional Presentations.

Mago Mai
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Doug Henning was performing the torn & restored cigarette paper. His handling is similar to Ron Wilson's from the UNCANNY SCOT.

Martin Lewis also has a video explaining his handling. Both handlings are great for this excellent trick.

Keep looking for great Magic.

Regards,

Paul
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Thanks for the info, guys!
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Thanks,Paul...I didn't know about those references.

Mago Mai
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I remember Doug tearing up a card, into halves, quarters, and then into eight and each time he tore it he would put the pieces together and dump out a half dollar. You may be remembering something different. This effect and the fickle nickle he did on that show is what got me interested in magic. I believe it was a Jerry Andrus routine, "Misers Miracle" maybe. Of course that was 30 years ago and I may be remembering it wrong Smile
Ronnie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I believe he performed Nate Leipzig's torn and restored rolling paper. It would have been nice if he did the ending with the moth. That kind if thing was so his style.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Doug Henning and an extreme close-up vanishing performance I saw him do on TV years ago (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL