The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ok, who has Seen Watchmen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-03-10 02:30, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-09 21:29, kcg5 wrote:
What was with the comedian shooting jfk?? In bad taste, and not in the book I hear.

Hey Kev,
That shot gave me chills as I've studied the JFK shooting for years. It's not in the book, but I do think it was important to show that's what type of man he was.

Actually, the idea that the Comedian might have shot J.F.K. IS in the book.

In Chapter IX, page 20, the Comedian is at a cocktail party and he jokes "Just don't ask where I was when I heard about J.F.K."

I saw the movie tonight, and I was overall quite impressed with it. I was a little disappointed with the ending, but I don't think it was necessarily any weaker than the novel's. Just a little different, so it takes some getting used to.

Oh, I did have one REAL disappointment with the movie. I fully expected at least one Elvis Costello song to make an appearance, especially the one referenced at the end of Chapter II ("The Comedians").
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yeah, you're right Balducci. I forgot that line was in there, but only in passing. To see it on the big screen is more powerful.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I watched/listened to the audience this time.
When the music got loud at the end they got up and left much faster then usual.
The outside talk was about suckiness.
I may do another observation in a week or so.

At a guess - among the mistakes was the V-pyramid and color choices as folks got quiet every time a purple or pink triangle(ish) icon appeared. The whole Gunga-diner thing was lost in the borscht IMHO.

How were the audiences at the shows you attended?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
I went to see Watchmen on opening night- (Midnight showing). When the movie ended, I heard things like “This movie sucked”, “horrible”, “I stayed up for that?”. Personally if it weren’t for Rorschach I would have 100%, COMPLETELY hated the movie…

Will I watch it when it comes out on DVD? NO

Would I purchase the DVD or Blueray? NO WAY not even for a dollar.

Will I watch it when “it” is eventually played on the Tele? Yes

That’s just me:

Scar
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
This movie sucked A@@ - Bigtime. The soundtrack was horrible, not one piece of music fitted in well (except perhaps the orchestra piece as Manhattan was destroying Vietnam), the whole thing was flat and shallow. I love comics, I love superheros and I love films, I enjoyed the graphic novel, but this did not translate well, I wish I could be be more descriptive but that 2 hours and half has left me lost for words...and not in a good way.

And they left out some of the best dialogue...such as

Manhattan to Laurie, when she tells him he's the most powerful being in the universe and that he's just a puppet 'We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings.'
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I saw it last Tuesday. I was kind of looking forward to it, but I'm not sure why, because I'm not familiar with the graphic novels. The movie didn't stand on its own like a good movie should, in my opinion. Eventually I found out who most everyone was, but it was waaayyy too difficult to glean character names and roles from the dialogue if you weren't familiar with them already.

It was a bit too violent for my tastes, and the whole Dr. Manhattan full frontal nudity thing didn't do it for me. If there is a sequel, I'll stay at home.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
I don't know, I think the ending should have sticked the same.

I really hope they wont make a sequel, you just can't to Watchmen.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 17:11, Rupert Bair wrote:
This movie sucked A@@ - Bigtime. The soundtrack was horrible, not one piece of music fitted in well (except perhaps the orchestra piece as Manhattan was destroying Vietnam), the whole thing was flat and shallow. I love comics, I love superheros and I love films, I enjoyed the graphic novel, but this did not translate well, I wish I could be be more descriptive but that 2 hours and half has left me lost for words...and not in a good way.

And they left out some of the best dialogue...such as

Manhattan to Laurie, when she tells him he's the most powerful being in the universe and that he's just a puppet 'We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings.'

I thought the music was one of the better parts of the film. Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Nat King Cole... I thought it was very well put together all with the film. The classical piece ("ride of the valkyers'?) played over the Vietnam footage seemed like a small homage to "Apocalypse Now", from the famous helicopter scene.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Funny how tastes run. A couple friends of mine also thought the soundtrack was excellent.

I have no problem with the soundtrack, except I thought for sure Elvis Costello's 'The Comedians" would have been in it. Especially considering that it was referenced in the original comics.

As for Dr Manhattan: I'm not a huge fan of full frontal male nudity, but I'm glad the movie did not shy away from that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
There was nothing wrong with the songs, just they where the wrong songs for this film.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 15:18, Rupert Bair wrote:
There was nothing wrong with the songs, just they were the wrong songs for this film.

I thought that, too
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Are you doing stand up now? Cool stuff!
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
I really liked the movie, and thought the frame up of Dr. Manhattan made much more sense than the giant space squid.
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yeah John. The book dealt with all this serious real world type stuff, and then at the end, it turned into a comic book with super heros saving the city from this monster.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
It would be more like reality tv if there was no monster fighting. I think that was the beauty of the original, these crimefighters you've discovered are really just normal folk, the cape crusades where a thing of the past and then bam; there back to who they became.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Really? More offensive than the attempted rape? I think it fit the character.

Quote:
On 2009-03-09 21:29, kcg5 wrote:
What was with the comedian shooting jfk?? In bad taste, and not in the book I hear.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ok, who has Seen Watchmen? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL