The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A Better, More Versatile, and Cheaper RC Card to Balloon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
From Wolf's Balloon Wand to the Wireless Wizardry Card to Balloon, there are several versions of this effect out. But if you want an RC version, let me introduce Remote Guy's "Anything to Balloon," which to me is by far the best. Nick (Cafe avatar "Remote Guy") custom built me one to go with the "break apart" table I bought from him several months ago on the Café, and it is a sight to behold. I just got it and will be using in shows soon. But I wanted to spread the word to Café colleagues who might want a more versatile RC version of the trick, and which comes with a beautiful varnished oak and walnut wood inlay table, and at around half the Wireless Wizardry asking price.

Nick is known around the Café "workshop" thread as maker of the highest shooting card fountains around (and there apparently bigger is better), and I knew his work from buying his "break apart" table. This "Anything to Balloon" is every bit the work of art and much better than the Wireless Wizardry product. I was thrilled to commission Nick to do this, and pleased for you, other Café members, when I picked it up from him today and he told me he was going to sell more. If you've wanted to add 10 minutes to your show with a great kids' comedy routine, this is your prop. Let me discuss why (and add that I told Nick that "if I liked it I'd tell people," but have no relationship with him at all and paid full price - I just met him today after talking and e-mailing for about a month as he built the prop). I have no relationship to the manufacturer, who lives about 60 miles away from me. I met him today, love his product, and appreciate value and people who still care about quality.

1) The WW table is awkward, bulky, and not very attractive, and has an "all systems go" light where everyone can see it and a well in the middle of the table, rendering it useless as a table. Nick constructed a table base to match my other one (again oak with walnut inlay). It can hold props and was wired for the front piece to fly out and hit me in the behind on command (I'm the "wizard in trouble" and this will add to that). The "Anything to Balloon" tray attaches to the table in an instant, powers up, turns on "all systems go" light located where audience cannot see, and I am ready to go. The table can hold other props until I place the (also beautiful wood) tray on it.

2) The WW table has a card permanently attached. You can request which jumbo card, but it's permanently attached and "pops" up from the recess when the third of three balloons pops. Nick's version, based on my request, has several interchangeable forms which can be screwed in, meaning that you can pop up a card (but jumbo or regular and you can change it as quickly as you can pull velcro apart), but you can also do the trick with a change bag or force bag and candy bars, action figures, puzzle pieces, or whatever. In other words, get the audience volunteer to pick one of several items which are less than about 6" tall and weigh less than a pound or two), disappear it, and have it reappear "in the balloon." Nick is "taping" some action figures for me, but also instructed me on how to drill holes and insert screw fittings to make my own. I have been frustrated because I like this routine for the birthday kid, but have been hesitant to do it in same show with snake basket or any other card trick. Nick has helped me solve this problem . . . His solution is practical and his work is high quality and will last. I had asked him to adapt the trick to action figures (Cleopatra, Ben Franklin, Superman, Harry Potter forces), or candy bars. He did it. I think I'm also going to adapt my "missing puzzle piece" trick to this approach. Have the kid pick the last remaining piece of puzzle from change bag, disappear it again, and then have it reappear when balloon pops. And the popping of balloons involves any number of bits of business with gag wands and teaching the birthday kid to "control her magic."

3) The other main advantage is cost. Nick has a workshop but no other overhead, takes small numbers of orders, and does great work. He is not exceptionally fast (but did not take any longer than WW, which did not deliver for a couple of weeks as they were waiting for some parts). I imagine he makes money off of his products, but does not gauge the customer. And I think it's time for low cost, high quality producers like Nick to challenge the market on this prop, as the markup for WW and the other versions (Jumbo Sidekick and the Remote Control Magic Midway Marvel come to mind) seems rather high. This is not to pick on Wireless Wizardry, which is a reputable company which innovates and produces solid products. It is just to say that competition is good, and it's time they had some, and since there are several makers of this trick, it would seem that there are few proprietary issues here (although I'm sure that this thread may start carrying claims of such).

If several Café buyers support Nick's version (which is different from the others, and this trick does not seem to have a clear "inventor" like Losander and his tables, for example), there will soon be a new market leader in terms of price AND quality (an unbeatable combination), and I hope it happens. Competition breeds innovation even in markets as small as that for magic props.

Wireless Wizardry has produced their table for some 15 years, as I understand it, and they do produce a fairly high quality product (although their video instructions are horrible, and I did not find their customer service overly helpful - they did take my calls, but didn't offer a lot of support). Nick's product showcases his woodworking talent, his electronics savvy, a creative mind for magic, and a genuine interest in making the best product he can, and standing by it. To me, there is simply no comparison. Get in touch with him.

There are two minor drawbacks with Nick's version which I think bear mention. One is that at present it does not come with a carrying case (I'm looking for one and will notify if I locate a good one). The second is that the last animation in the WW version, the card splitting in half, is not something that Nick's version does.

But Nick's table sides can fall or open outward . . . You get that animation. And there are other compensations, also, like the fact that Nick's version seems to use fewer batteries and that he gives you a choice in how you set each balloon whether it will fly off or deflate slowly in place (WW version has one of each and you cannot alter). Nick's version at present does not come with directions, but WW video instructions (comes with no written instructions) is a chopped up and poorly edited home movie.

Folks, while I still have to use it and will report back shortly on that, this prop is a 9.5 out of 10 in terms of design, value, versatility, and customer service. I feel a pride of ownership in making some of the suggestions, but Nick translated my requests into a very practical and beautiful prop, came up with his own innovations, and improved upon the basic premise drastically. If you want to buy from an excellent craftsman who takes great pride in his work, get Remote Guy's "Anything to Balloon."
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Any pictures?
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I don't have any. I'm just a "good samaritan" reporting about this gem. I think Nick should have some he can post . . . I'll tell him about this thread and see if he can post.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
If Nick didn't take any pics(mine was his first of these), I'll take some. Let's see if he posts them. I would add, also that his "break apart" table is excellent (that one I have used in a half dozen shows over last six weeks or eight weeks). He also has a spirit bell which he demonstrated to me. Those aren't really my thing (bizarre magic and kids shows mix like blood and woofle dust), but he is apparently in negotiations with a dealer on that one, which is quite cool as it makes no noise at all and has a "goose bumpy" smoothness to the motion and breaks down for transport. The "Anything to Balloon" is also mostly silent; at least as quiet as I recall the WW prop being.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Do you have a website address for RemoteGuy?
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Sorry, I do not. He hasn't been in the business all that long. I've informed him of this thread, and recommend you PM him for now.

Best,

Todd
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Todd,
Thanks for the nice comments. If anybody has any questions about the table feel free to PM me (remote guy) or e-mail me at www.nickwenger@verizon.net .

Thanks,
Nick (remote guy)
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Nick's got pictures which attest to the quality of this prop. I have never seen Jumbo Sidekick up close (I enjoyed it in performance) and do not know Midway Marvel, but this beats Card to Balloon in several regards. Check it out. I would say that the best animation may be the "break apart" front panel of table (as in his "break away" tables), rather than the one which pivots out and hits you in the rear. If the kid shoots magic wand and misses, the falling and dangling table animation may be the one to ask for if you get one of these.

Also, I ordered a carrying case and will report if it does a good job of storing and porting.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Any pictures yet of the products from remote guy??

Any website??
deliveryboy
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Nick is the best there is. He also made me a jumbo card to balloon where the first one flies off the second loses air etc.
If you want ouality with a fair price he's the man.
John
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Thanks John!!!

Nick
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I can vouch for Nick.He made me a snake basket that's top class all the way.
I am waiting for him for my wilting flower.
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A Better, More Versatile, and Cheaper RC Card to Balloon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL