The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » C&B Table: Black&Decker Workstation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I have been looking for a table to perform C&Bs and magic in general, but could not find anything that was affordable or strong enough to satisfy me.

This past weekend while I was working on a simple wood crafting project I went to Lowe’s hardware store to buy some supplies. While I was browsing at Lowe’s I saw a Portable Clamping Workstation by Black&Decker and thought maybe this would be nice to have for working on my simple wood crafting hobby, but decided against buying it because I already have enough wood crafting toys or tools.

Late last night while I was trying to sleep and thinking about this table an idea popped into my head, why not use this table for Magic? Wham, I got up went on line to research this table and then decided to go ahead and buy it the next day.

This table is perfect for magic, and yes it was originally designed for wood crafting, but if you take the time to examine this table it can be used for many things.

It is very strong, it is supposed to hold up to 400lbs, therefore you can slam your cups down as hard as you want and never have to worry about breaking this thing. I only weigh about 180lbs, so I took the time to sit on the table and lie down on it, believe me this baby is strong. Plenty of top table space 33 inches by 21 ½, and it has a bottom shelf with plenty of space for all your magical needs. This one-piece table very easily unfolds and folds back up with a carrying handle and only weigh 25lbs.

Here is a list of problems:

The top table has some holes and slots for specific wood working purposes that would need to be covered up. In my opinion this is only a minor problem that is easily solved.

The table is only 30 inches high, a bit low for me, but I think I can work with this just fine.

This table is not a conventional magic table, but so what?

The bottom line:

I am glad I bought this table for only $90. It’s super strong, light weight, portable, and can be used for multiple purposes. It might be worth your time to check it out.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
25 lbs? That's not light weight in my book.
For $39 you can get a table from home depot that is about 24" square,
folds up nice, holds 200lbs and looks good. I'd say it weighs about 8-10 lbs.

The height is also excellent but I don't know exactly what it is.

I have 2 of them but mostly use them in my garage for impromptu projects.
The only downside to this is the width when folded up. It's not "skinny" so it would be hard(er) to roll thru a doorway.

Yesterday I bought a tall director's chair for $39 which I thought would be good
as a busking stand and when needed a nice place for a rest. You could embroider
your name on the canvas back. When the show is ready you take off the canvas back, lower the arms and you've got yourself one heck of a sturdy restaurant tray stand type stand. Seems a bit high to have someone sit in it for paper balls OTH but who knows.

What you found sounds like a good idea but $90 for 25 lbs is a bit too much to deal with for me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Maybe 25lbs is heavy, but I liked it mostly for it's strength and it was not as expensive as the Tabmen's table ($335-$800).

I have a couple of very lightweight tables from Staples, these have the aluminum X-Frame stand with white plastic table top. These tables are nice but not big enough or strong enough. If anyone tried to lean or sit on these tables they would very easily break. They do have these tables in bigger sizes but way too big.

I am convinced I got the right table even if it is 25lbs.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
ANY PHOTO LINK
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

This is the Black&Decker web link (I hope it works) and it is slow.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGui......ID=20349
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It seems to me that you could add some extensions to the legs if you needed to raise the table. Aluminum tubing should do the trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Make a nice table top with edges (to keep your balls from rolling away) and a padded, but durable top. add a length of 2x2 on the bottom and clamp this into the top of the bench..
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2009, marty.sasaki wrote:
Make a nice table top with edges (to keep your balls from rolling away) and a padded, but durable top. add a length of 2x2 on the bottom and clamp this into the top of the bench..

The strength of this beast is not to be questioned, for they are intended for using power or hand tools on the workpiece that is clamped into the table-top/vice. The height could also be addressed in this way, by making a box under the table top, creating space for a servante!
With the extra space, you could also create all of the hold-outs you might ever need.
The only problem with this sort of table is the fact that they do not fold flat - an issue with which I deal when taking one to a construction job site.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
InsTand.

You can't put 450lbs on one, but they're worth a look.

http://www.instand.com/cr5/cr5.shtml
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » C&B Table: Black&Decker Workstation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL