The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » "How Did They Do That?" - Synchronized Multi-Camera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
A few weeks ago my daughter played in a band concert that was filmed (video'ed) using multiple video cameras. The taping was on Saturday, and we had the completed DVD by Wednesday. The multiple camera angles were always at the exact spot in the music (as opposed to some similar events where you can obviously tell that the video had nothing to do with the music, but had been inserted "for effect").

How do they do this so quickly and get the timing so perfect?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I am not a video guy so my technical terms may be a bit off.

Two ways I know of to do this - video was either edited on a machine with a editing program(final cut?). The program would have allowed the editor sync up the different videos.

To sync them up, either they are time coded or (this is a simple method) one of the cameramen simply flashed a camera. When the editor looks at the footage, it is plain as day when the flash goes off when you go frame by frame. This is a easy low tech way to get the videos synced.

Option two... which very well may have been how they did this, especially with the fast turn around time. They simply had a video switcher at the theater. All of the cameras fed into the switcher, and the switcher operator simply "switched" between shots on the fly and recorded to another deck.

Hopefully the video sounded good. If that is the case, they had another audio line going into the final mix, from a mixing board that had multiple mics on stage. It would not usually sound very good if they used the sound from multiple cameras.

scott
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
IF it was done in post production then Two words: Batch Capture

OR as Scott mentioned and the most likely scenario...a director called the shots live during the show and laid down the live mix to tape.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Had someone hand me a DVD of our show as we walked out of the theater. It was shot with four cameras. Four operators and a director at the board. They were college students. They did a great job.
AlexBorsci
View Profile
New user
Italy!
34 Posts

Profile of AlexBorsci
You can do it whit adobe premiere... that have the multicamera tool... it's easy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » "How Did They Do That?" - Synchronized Multi-Camera (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL