The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good magic store in Australia?? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
digiquick
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney
114 Posts

Profile of digiquick
Hi take a look at my site Digiquick Magic. I have been operating for over a year and have loads of happy customers. My prices are probably the best in Australia.

I am always contactable either by phone or e-mail.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Taylors' is My choice also.
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
It's a shame that a magic dvd price in Australia is always 2 times its price in the uk or usa, and the props are in most cases 2 to 3 times more then their normal prices...i know that a good customer service and few advices are priceless, but in most cases that I ve been thru, that's not the case...

now recently the american dollar is droping against the australian dollar, but the magic dealers in Australia are still charging the same...it's just a shame, and it is annoying...
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 05:58, coolini wrote:
It's a shame that a magic dvd price in Australia is always 2 times its price in the uk or usa, and the props are in most cases 2 to 3 times more then their normal prices...i know that a good customer service and few advices are priceless, but in most cases that I ve been thru, that's not the case...

now recently the american dollar is droping against the australian dollar, but the magic dealers in Australia are still charging the same...it's just a shame, and it is annoying...

So true.
I wonder if it is like that in America? Are the bricks and mortar shops way more costly than online stores?
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
I only buy from a local shop when I am forced to - if an item is bulky or heavy (=huge delivery costs) or I want something urgently. Everything else - online. Cheap and quick and great choice.
pintirri
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
29 Posts

Profile of pintirri
Just Google "Magic Shops Australia" and you will get a list and contact details.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
I recently took my kids to Melbourne and while we were there I told them I would take them to Bernard's, as I did when I was a kid and was amazed this really got me interested.
Well we found they have moved a few doors down and it no longer has that tiny enclosed felling, this is disappointing because as a kid it felt like walking into a magic cave.
The new shop is large and open plan and nobody seemed interested in demonstrating anything, therefore my kids were bored and wanted to leave.

I was disappointed that I couldn't share the same experience with them that I had many years ago.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I personally buy from Taylors Magic Shop, Sean Taylor is a professional magician and runs a professional service and is a very knowledgeable guy. I have purchased from Hey Presto in Sydney and they do have a great range in magic products however I do find them rather expensive compared to Taylors. Bernard’s is rather expensive to I find (but rather a classy inside.

Here are is a obscure online magic dealer that many aren’t aware off and if price in you main concern they just might fit the bill. One of them is Digiquick Magic at http://www.digiquick.com.au which is the cheapest I’ve found in terms of price and have dealt with them in the past. Do expect a delay in delivery time to what you would normally expect for a stranded turnaround time for a parcel in the mail. For whatever reason their package and handling process seems to add a few days on you’re ETA of your item, however it does eventually come. Graham is a stand-up guy which I have dealt with a more than a few occasions.
Also a one other magic shop I came across that I haven’t had any dealing with that I thought you might like to be aware of:

http://www.magicvault.com.au/

Magically

Aus
MoonyD
View Profile
New user
Sydney
15 Posts

Profile of MoonyD
I'm from Australia, Sydney.
I've been to Hey Preto, the people working there are very friendly and often willing to give you a live demo of their products. Only problem I had with the store was the fact that they sold items for at least 2 times the price that I would pay for if I were to buy from eBay or something. Of course, having said that, I understand where they're coming from, granted it is a brick and mortar shop they have to pay for rent/wages so that's justified I suppose. But your cheapest option is to simply buy on eBay or via the authentic american websites. Granted shipping costs will be a *****, but it'll still be much cheaper than if you were to buy it from a brick and mortar shop. That's how I feel anyways.
Yours Truly
Moonyâ„¢ D.
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
At the risk of digging up a dead post, though it might be interesting to update on the current landscape for magic shops in Australia.

Hey Presto in Sydney is the last remaining bricks & mortar shop on the east coast. Still very present online, and have a fully stocked CBD location to visit.

Bernards in Melbourne have closed there walk in presence, but should be appearing online in the near future.

Taylor's Magic Shop is no longer owned or run by Sean Taylor, but is still up and running online.

Sadly, almost all the others named above have vanished over the years for various reason's. The Magic Store in Melbourne was my pick for a number of years. Now the best option is to go online and support some of the local guys trying to compete with the likes of Penguin, etc. There's probably half a dozen currently operating in Australia.

I can highly recommend www.pipermagic.com.au (hint,hint) Smile
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Its sad state of affairs when most magic shops can't see the viability of having a bricks and mortar store anymore. Reading the news coverage and Kristina's (the owner of Bernard's) comments on Facebook it's a change made purely on financial grounds as mostly these things are. They had a good close working relationship with the landlord who owned the premises in Elizabeth street who apparently held some good sentiment towards the store.

But that change after that owner sold his property to a new person who I suspect raised the rent to an unsustainable level which resulted in the move to Victoria Street in West Melbourne.

Taylors was my go to store before Sean and Diana Taylor sold the business but I have found that the service it be not at the same level as when Sean and Diana ran the show. Diana did all the order correspondence and was very prompt in her updates and reply's but the few times I'v made inquiries via email with the new owner I'm flat out in getting a response sometimes.

Hey Presto is fine to a large extent and I have ordered from them recently but one does need to be careful in ordering from their online web page as they don't seem to keep their online site updated as to whats out of stock or no longer available as I have received a few phone calls in the past where I have placed an order and they have informed me about the unavailability of an item they had on their site.

To their credit they will not charge your credit card in this instance until they know they can get the items so there is no financial inconvenience but I find that if Penguin magic can be on the ball with their stock levels and availability, why can't they?

At the moment I'm just waiting on Bernard's to come online to see how they perform, I suspect Kristina to run a good business as usual as she has done in the past years but only time will tell.

Magically

Aus
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Some great contributions here.

To what extent do people buy online, e.g. purchasing magic on eBay?

Or would you avoid purchasing stuff online, and if so why or why not?
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Topov for me purchasing magic online is nether a choice or a preference but rather a necessity due to the fact I live in remote north west Queensland and I have no other choice. The big thing in purchasing online is do your homework first which if you go the my Buying Magic (How-to Guide) which is a sticky in this section of the Café you'll find much advice from myself and others.

Magically

Aus
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Fair point. Especially if you're living in a remote area, buying online is going to be one of your only options for getting magic supplies.

One problem with eBay is that some of the products may be cheap, but they are inferior or illegal copies from countries like China, and often the quality can be poor. Any advice for how to avoid making mistakes when shopping on eBay or buying online?
artofcole
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of artofcole
I'm headed to Melbourne next week and wondering if anyone has updated info about magic shops there? I'm using a great mirror goblet for a new routine (can't remember which one as our magic director had it in his collection), but I need to replace it as it got a chip in the rim. I'll need to get it in AUS as I don't see one I can order to Denver (my homebase) before we depart. I might be able to order one to our flat in Melbourne, but I always prefer to see things in person. Would love to connect regardless-we're there for the MICF doing the Big Laugh Out. Smile Thanks!
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Artofcole as far as I'm aware the last Bricks and Morter store to be in Melbourne was Bernards Magic Shop which as noted in previous posts closed down due to business reasons. They have been moonlighting a return as an online business but I have not seen any pragmatic moves in that direction from them in some time. The only Brick and Morter store still active is Hey Presto in Sydney.

If you aren't afraid of online alternatives https://www.globalmagicshop.com.au/ and https://www.pipermagic.com.au/ are a good place to start.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good magic store in Australia?? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL