The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » "Rainbow" Deck??? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have the Nick Trost bridge sized version with directions I don't use if anybody is interested in it PM me. Even if you don't like the bridge size the directions will help you with a custom built poker size deck.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Wheeler
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
9 Posts

Profile of Wheeler
You could also go for the Prism Deck by Joshua Jay. Every card in there is unique and has a wonderful back design and the DVD that comes with it explains some routines that you can use with it. However, If you just want to know some routines with a rainbow deck other sources might be better.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Road to Vegas - By Craig Petty & David Penn has a good contribution from Charles Fry that deals with the Rainbow Deck & PH bizarre twist; Its pretty good, has a couple really good moods and a great false shuffle that shows all the backs as one.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just picked up the magic makers Bicycle rainbow deck with dvd for $15 AT http://www.themagicwarehouse.com click sale item and keep scroling till you find it.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
[quote]On 2012-08-30 22:33, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have the Nick Trost bridge sized version with directions I don't use if anybody is interested in it PM me. Even if you don't like the bridge size the directions will help you with a custom built poker size deck.
[/quote
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 01:43, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I just picked up the magic makers Bicycle rainbow deck with dvd for $15 AT http://www.themagicwarehouse.com click sale item and keep scroling till you find it.
]

and I have Prism deck with dvd. and in all honesty I think the Trost effect is the strongest effect - the bicycle deck is the best deck - and the Prism dvd is the best teaching dvd. I will more than likely come up with some hybrid stuff - but hey, I like rainbow decks (I also have David Regal Color Changing Deck that I havent messed with yet.

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I had a brainstorm, just as I sold my old bridge sized trost deck. I bought a second Bicycle Rainbow Deck and dvd (still on sale for $15) and a couple matching cards from "other bicycle decks" and made 2 decks capable of doing the trost routine with the bicycle decks. Or I can throw the bicycle decks back together to use the routines from the included DVD

Smile Smile
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
How about a blank face deck where the only cards chosen have faces that are mates?
Not excatly a 3 element trick but 2 out of 3 ain`t bad!

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
If you have been into card magic for a reasonable length of time you will find - unless you throw old decks away - that you should have nough spare cards to roll yer own. In fact, I do Trost's Rainbow Miracle with spare cards. I present it as the first magic effect I learned from my Uncle Luigi. The aged look of the cards and the fact that the backs are are kind of weird realy works well.

Ropeadope, that's a great idea but unfortunately somebody beat you to it. I can't recall who the creator was or even the effect name. I know I read it in a periodical I have and I also think that I have sold it in one of the shops where I used to demonstrate.

I THINK there is a booklet devoted to Rainbow Deck effects.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
This is, for me, actually a bit embarrasing post, but since we're all brother magicians here to help each other by exchanging information, I thought I'd ask for your help.

I have a deck called a Rainbow Deck that I believe I made my self from either a book or lecture notes, but, for the life of me, I can't remember what the source of this was or where it may have appeared in writing...

For gaffed Bicycle decks, particularly home-made, I got into a habit many years ago of hand labelling the name of the card effect in light pencil, on the inside top flap of the deck, and this one is so labelled..."Rainbow Deck".

A description of the Modus Operandi:

On this deck, the backs are all the same......Bycicle Blue, but the faces consist of about 16-20 QS, and half-or-so as many 2D, with the balance of the deck being assorted Bycicle blue back cards.

Would any of you pasteboard afficionados know where a description of this deck appeared in writing.......???? I'm totally puzzled by this......
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Rainbowguy, seems to me like a forceing deck - somewhat a couple regular cards to flash and depending where you pick from you should know their card

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Vlad_77, ropeadope's idea sounds like white bikes or maybe even a mental photagraphy type effect?

Smile Smile
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
I`m sure it has been thought of before, was just a thought that popped in my head , besides it`s hard to beat a 3 phase trick. Especially one that would include a novelty like a Rainbow Deck.
It was off topic anyway but could be used as an addition to other Blank Deck routines. I love my Mental Photography Deck but can`t be given out, and I like to be able to freely give out a deck, if asked.

John
Nothing is better than more.
vinod_furtado
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of vinod_furtado
How about the other tricks on the Rainbow deck DVD, any review on those.
Rainbow Hot Rod
Jack Ro Bats
Rainbow Joker Variation
Rise, Rise, Rise
Rainbow Variation
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Was wondering would it work to use the Rainbow deck in Bannon's Stranger Gallery as the final deck reveal? Or would it confuse the routine?

Leo Jr
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2013, vinod_furtado wrote:
How about the other tricks on the Rainbow deck DVD, any review on those.
Rainbow Hot Rod
Jack Ro Bats
Rainbow Joker Variation
Rise, Rise, Rise
Rainbow Variation

This is a pretty late response!

In addition to the standard rainbow back routine the following effects are on the DVD
1. Rainbow Hot Rod is a little meh to me. I'm not keen on the die roll counting technique required.
2. Jack Ro Bats is a nice plus effect using the supplied gaffs. The Jacks alternately flip up side down then the backs change color from red Tally Ho circle backs (say) to Rider blue backs, then finally all backs of the Jacks are different! Easy to perform with that great back color change pay off. I showed my wife after two days of practice and polishing and she was suitably astonished. To enhance the routine I just purchased a Tally Ho circle back deck so I can present the Jacks from that deck and make it more than a packet trick.
3. Rainbow Joker Variation is not really a rainbow back routine. It uses a supplied Joker gag gaff to reveal the chosen card.
4. Rise, Rise, Rise is a presentation variation that provides a single color change before the big color change climax.
5. The rainbow variation. In this effect three spectators select three cards that at the reveal are shown to be found because they are "marked" -- they are only "marked" because they are the only rider blue backs in the deck.

All in all I am pleased with my purchase of the rainbow deck.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2013, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Was wondering would it work to use the Rainbow deck in Bannon's Stranger Gallery as the final deck reveal? Or would it confuse the routine?

Leo Jr

John Bannon already does that. He did it in his Penguin lecture, too.

Robert
Razamabaz
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Razamabaz
The best Rainbow Deck at the moment is Paul Gordon's Deck. It is beautiful.The cards are lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axnDoxUoInM
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2019, Razamabaz wrote:
The best Rainbow Deck at the moment is Paul Gordon's Deck. It is beautiful.The cards are lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axnDoxUoInM

Although I totally agree that this is a beautiful deck.It is around $40 + shipping on Alakazam USA, includes all A/S and the 4 kings but ZERO instructions. For that price, I would expect a couple routines or ideas to start out a new magician. I have been and still am on the fence on this one. But back to my original thought, It is a beautiful deck.
https://www.alakazamusa.com/product/the-......-gordon/
This is what you get. I should also say the non USA Alakazam site hasit also.

Smile Smile
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I've been going through some older packet tricks of mine, which of course I did not label. So there are a few that I can remember the basic premise of, but cannot remember the manufacturer. There is one that is similar to what is described by the OP. However, mine does not locate sister cards, but rather identical matched cards. Both the front and the back. Then of course the kicker is all the cards in the deck are the same card with the different backs. The deck does not have the same printed cards on the fronts, but rather the same card from many different decks. The fronts are all the same in suit and value, but all look different.

Also, these cards are not the "dollar store" looking cards that some have described. All are poker sized and of decent quality. They range from bicycles, to Spiderman theme cards, to NASCAR theme cards, some santa cards, coca cola and pepsi backed, etc. None are random conference cards from 1998 or business advertisement decks that no one has ever heard of. It seems like it is a far more professionally assembled packet than what previous posts have described.

Does anyone know of who made this packet? Or even better, if it is still available?

I too purchased the Rainbow Deck hoping it would be along these lines with everything being bicycle stock. Despite that being a great gaff deck, it was not what I was looking for. Useful for the tricks that come with it, but not the same.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2023, spudster85 wrote:
I've been going through some older packet tricks of mine, which of course I did not label. So there are a few that I can remember the basic premise of, but cannot remember the manufacturer. There is one that is similar to what is described by the OP. However, mine does not locate sister cards, but rather identical matched cards. Both the front and the back. Then of course the kicker is all the cards in the deck are the same card with the different backs. The deck does not have the same printed cards on the fronts, but rather the same card from many different decks. The fronts are all the same in suit and value, but all look different.

Also, these cards are not the "dollar store" looking cards that some have described. All are poker sized and of decent quality. They range from bicycles, to Spiderman theme cards, to NASCAR theme cards, some santa cards, coca cola and pepsi backed, etc. None are random conference cards from 1998 or business advertisement decks that no one has ever heard of. It seems like it is a far more professionally assembled packet than what previous posts have described.

Does anyone know of who made this packet? Or even better, if it is still available?

I too purchased the Rainbow Deck hoping it would be along these lines with everything being bicycle stock. Despite that being a great gaff deck, it was not what I was looking for. Useful for the tricks that come with it, but not the same.

Playingcarddecks dot com occasionally produces a 1 way frankendeck. All faces and backs are from different decks. Does not come with duplicate mates. You would need to get them from two other decks.
Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » "Rainbow" Deck??? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL