The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "under age" restaurant magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Age isn't a problem...I was 13 when I first started performing at restaurants.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 11:23, Dave1216 wrote:
Listen guys, while we can preach the "age is only a number" rule, the fact remains that if a restaurant hires a 14 year old magician, it is sending a message to their customers to the type of entertainment that they have. Some restaurants want to be perceived as having a classy, upscale feel.....and having a 14 year old come over to your table, no matter how good or mature he may be, is not sending that message.

In my opinion, if you are younger and want to get into restuarant magic, you need to target very family-friendly restaurants that maybe already have other kids entertainment (clowns or balloon makers, etc) and leave the upscale italian restaurants for when you are older and have more experience.

David Corsaro

I agree in a 100% with you!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I was 14 when I started. So it can be done. Don't get me wrong I was horrible when I started in that restaurant but it was the experience that I walked away with. People won't take you seriously until you are older. It's very hard to entertain adults when you barely know what goes through their minds and you still have to answer to your parents/adult athority figures. I say if you can find a decent place to perform (with the understanding that it will be more difficult) then go for it. The only thing it can provide is experience that is crucial.

Things to learn:
What the business is looking for you to accomplish
How to interact with the staff
How to become an engaging person
How to use magic as a tool for communication rather than showing off.

Godspeed.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Did anyone else notice the words tricks or effects are NO WHERE in Davids post? Bravo David for a truly brillant post . Its not about being a good magi , its about the 4 points David lays out in his post.

Quote:
On 2009-04-15 23:28, David Ranalli wrote:
I was 14 when I started. So it can be done. Don't get me wrong I was horrible when I started in that restaurant but it was the experience that I walked away with. People won't take you seriously until you are older. It's very hard to entertain adults when you barely know what goes through their minds and you still have to answer to your parents/adult athority figures. I say if you can find a decent place to perform (with the understanding that it will be more difficult) then go for it. The only thing it can provide is experience that is crucial.

Things to learn:
What the business is looking for you to accomplish
How to interact with the staff
How to become an engaging person
How to use magic as a tool for communication rather than showing off.

Godspeed.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
ferrari
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ferrari
Id give it a try but you need to amaze the manager because if your young hell get the inpession your some newby who only knows a few tricks
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
I am 14 years old almost 15 and last summer and this summer I will be doing table magic at resturants in a small vacation town where my family runs a vacation home. I was hired by 2 of the very many (auctually theres only 3) resturants in that area to take orders and perform magic at the same time. Its very fun and people love it. I love it when people come back the next few days requesting me to do the same trick just so they can figure it out. too bad I usually put a twist onto it just to get them even worse.

Its fun! and when I have fun seems everyone else in there does too.

magic mike
shakes
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of shakes
Quote:
Listen guys, while we can preach the "age is only a number" rule, the fact remains that if a restaurant hires a 14 year old magician, it is sending a message to their customers to the type of entertainment that they have. Some restaurants want to be perceived as having a classy, upscale feel.....and having a 14 year old come over to your table, no matter how good or mature he may be, is not sending that message.

In my opinion, if you are younger and want to get into restuarant magic, you need to target very family-friendly restaurants that maybe already have other kids entertainment (clowns or balloon makers, etc) and leave the upscale italian restaurants for when you are older and have more experience.

David Corsaro

I totally agree. I wouldn't give up but you need to find a more family friendly enviornment. Also have you thought about maybe approaching the restuarants with the idea of maybe performing for tips for a few nights. This way you can see if you actually like working the restuarant scene and the restuarant not only sees how you work but doesn't have to pay for it to start off. Just a thought. Best of luck and keep it up
shakes
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of shakes
Quote:

David Corsaro

I totally agree. I wouldn't give up but you need to find a more family friendly enviornment. Also have you thought about maybe approaching the restuarants with the idea of maybe performing for tips for a few nights. This way you can see if you actually like working the restuarant scene and the restuarant not only sees how you work but doesn't have to pay for it to start off. Just a thought. Best of luck and keep it up
K-Rod
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of K-Rod
For what it's worth, I began performing restaurant magic when I was 14 as well...but when I first began, I was nowhere near prepared. After about a month in the biz, I had developed quite a niche for it and never had any problems from then on. It's all about professionalism and confidence, as well as approaching the gig from a business standpoint.

I would recommend shadowing an older and experienced performer who has been in the business for quite some time -- this is how I got my start and I strongly believe it helped boost my confidence as well as my overall performance. Find someone who has been at a certain establishment for quite some time and ask if you can follow them around for a night or two. Every once in a while, ask if you can jump in and perform a trick -- when you do, have them critique you. Also, get as much advice from them as you can throughout the course of the evening -- what types of tricks to do (and NOT do), how to read a table, working with the wait staff, approaching/leaving a table, what to do when food comes, etc.

To me, this is the best way to break into the biz without jumping in cold.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 05:56, shakes wrote:
Quote:

David Corsaro

Oooh! I LOVE that idea! Maybe I can just ask them permission to be there and do some stuff. That's good! I might try that
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Laws on working age may very from State to State.

The only thing a free show gets you is another free show. I would only work for free for one night, it is a trial for you and for them.

There are most likely laws and other reasons that would hinder them from not paying you for an extended length of time as well. For instance, insurance. If you are not a paid employee, but you are working in the restaurant, even for "fun" and something were to happen to you there could be big consequences. Now, there are many "under the table" deals done all of the time, I would just be careful.

An IHOP or Denny's would be a perfect family environment for you, but may be hard to get into. If there are other privately owned rests. like this that is where I would try.

Good Luck
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Well as of now, I am doing a few shows, but I usually only do the free shows for like CHurches and stuff like that because they are much bigger. I was htinking that if I did my magic in a restaurant "for fun" and it goes really well they might see it and offer me a job doing it professionaly.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
If you're good enough, then you're old enough.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Well I can see there are a lot of different views on this. I am still scouting out some different places that will work well for me. I have been using the criteria:

-Do they hirer a younger generation?
-Do they invite a younger crowd? Are they too young or young yet too old?
-Will I have good performance experience here?
-Will this give me a chance to see how a restaurant setting will actually play out?
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 17:52, Flec wrote:
If you're good enough, then you're old enough.

My opinion precisely
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "under age" restaurant magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL