The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Not Clear On The Concept (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Got an interesting call from a teacher recently, who suggested my participation in an upcoming fair...in return for "exposure to potential clients."

"I don't have any openings for charitable performances," I said, "but what if you sold tickets to my show? The kids could sell tickets at $2 each, and we'll split the proceeds (with a guaranteed minimum to me)?"

Caller: "Oh, I don't think our kids would be willing to put that kind of effort into this event...besides, we're in a low-income area where... ."

:rolleyes:

What? I'm the only one who's gonna put effort into your free show, and my payoff is being able to market to people who can't afford to buy one????

Here's the kicker: The caller was a teacher in a public school here in Cali, where the budget is stretched tight. One of the ideas floated by our Governator Ahnold was asking public servants to work for free one day a month. Wanna bet the caller was asking me for something to which he'd already objected ...free work at a school!

Leland
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Leland,
I agree with your position, I know more and more entertainers are being asked to do shows for free. I'm of the opinion that we should not do more free shows, besides the normal charity shows we allocate each year, whatever that number may be.

If we do free shows now, then the economy gets back on its feet in a few months, or even years, then either way, we've left the memory of working for nothing!

I don't believe the recession should have a substantial impact on magicians. In my market I'm doing very well, booking more shows than last year, even being in a new market! I think if we use this time to make our shows worth more and hold to our rates, we as a group will come out stronger.

Best wishes! - Kevin
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Do you want perfection? Not gonna happen.

People are stretched, and teachers are stretched all the time - it leads to a certain self-centered view that may not be pleasant or fair, but it it understandable. You don't have to do the show (your logic is rock-solid) but you should at least understand.

And dearwiseone - glad you're doing well - are you giving back to the community a little extra now and then?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Well, I certainly understand resources that are stretched thin, and the desire to make what is available go even farther. To that end I offered several suggestions that would have both conserved resources and brought good Magic to the school event.

But what I didn't understand was the teacher's unwillingness to participate in the effort they were asking me to make. Each suggestion I made that would have allowed us to be partners in the event's success was simply dismissed; I was not being invited to share the load, but rather to shoulder it all myself.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I agree...

I may be a bit different in that I am at a place in my lifestyle and career that I have the time, talent and treasure to be able to support more of the causes that are near and dear to me, BUT I "do" have RULES! (Hehehehehe!)

Like: (For ME and my lifestyle situation...)
= If ANYONE gets Paid to do the event, (Hot Dog Vender, The Venue Gets Rent... the Advertiser Get Paid... ANYONE!) I get my FULL-FEE and then I get to decide how much (a percentage or all, or none.) I will donate back to them. Now I usually give it all back, BUT that is a personal decision... but if anyone get's paid, so does the talent! (as far as I'm concerned!) And I have never had anyone who was resistant to that logic… cuz it makes sense.

This is NOT for any tax manipulation purposes... juts the way I choose to handle things for ME and my lifestyle situation is all.

= I MUST get “named” credit in ALL of their marketing… NOT just “magician” or SPEAKER or what-ever no-name generic title.

= Assuming they truly liked the solution I provided for them, they are to give me a killer letter of recommendation… and not thanks for the free show either… a real KILLER letter!

= Assuming they truly liked the solution I provided for them, I GET, IN WRITING, at-least 5 personal “ENDORSED” business referrals to their top ‘appropriate’ relationships with regard to my business!

…and a few more, but you get the idea!

Now SOME that are my pet projects and charities, I waive some or even all of those criterion, but if they call me… it’s BUSINESS just like a pro gig.

It REALLY helps on soooooooo many levels! Respect, more “real” work and relationships for life and more!

You could make a LIVING off of so-called FREE SHOWS!

…and THEN there are “FUND Raisers”, but THAT is a different discussion!

I say Bravo Leland!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano (loves supporting the community and giving back) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Quote:
I didn't understand was the teacher's unwillingness to participate in the effort they were asking me to make. Each suggestion I made that would have allowed us to be partners in the event's success was simply dismissed; I was not being invited to share the load, but rather to shoulder it all myself.

SW, SW, SW... N!

Some Will, Some Won't, So What... NEXT!

Yo can't save everyone! (That, in part is also my lesson in life!)

Thanks for caring enough to offer suggetion and solutions!
Dean
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Dean, I love your "rules" for free shows. I am going to adopt that philosophy - if ANYONE gets paid, so does the entertainment.

scott
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Excellent information Dean. I get many requests every year for free shows. It has been my rule that I only perform for free when I believe in the cause and I am performing for the people that the event is actually benefiting. For instance, every year I perform at a cancer camp. All the attendees are people that are ether fighting the disease, are survivors of the disease, or are family members of one of the attendees that fits into one of the first two categories. It is my way of giving to people that are less fortunate than myself.

Otherwise, I never offer my services for free. The above rules that you listed above are brilliant and logical. I will adapt some of your rules for my own business.

Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hey brother Lou!

Long time no see bud! How the heck are you!?

Hope all is well my freind!
Dean
<><

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 15:17, TheDean wrote:
= If ANYONE gets Paid to do the event, (Hot Dog Vender, The Venue Gets Rent... the Advertiser Get Paid... ANYONE!) I get my FULL-FEE and then I get to decide how much (a percentage or all, or none.) I will donate back to them. Now I usually give it all back, BUT that is a personal decision... but if anyone get's paid, so does the talent! (as far as I'm concerned!) And I have never had anyone who was resistant to that logic… cuz it makes sense.

It REALLY helps on soooooooo many levels! Respect, more “real” work and relationships for life and more!

Right on the button!

It's also a bit of customer-education.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Not Clear On The Concept (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL