The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining and Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I want to take the opening idea in a slightly different direction. Many magic books and magicians say that you should open with something quick and visual to show the audience that you are a magician. This is a common and popular approach.

But let me suggest that your opening tells the audience something about you and why they should pay attention to you. Michael Close opens his act by talking to the audience, more like a stand-up comedy routine. The audience gets to know him and become interested in him. Then he starts the magic.

Not all magic characters can do something quick and visual to begin. What would a mentalist do here? What would a bizzarre magician do here? Did Professor Snape in the Harry Potter books start with something quick and visual for his class?

Your opening should define the tone of your character and your act. A magic trick is not the only way to do this.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Well, opening your routine with sponge balls is always a good idea, and with an entertaining story to go with it, you will get credibility almost immediately. This is especially true if you're performing for a few ladies in the audience.
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
What kind of sponge ball "ending" do you do? Do you stick to the classic million balls out of the hand or something else? Personally, I have never been a fan of sponges, I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I'm really tempted to get Earplugs, they make a little more sense.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
I make the sponges vanish. You should check out Scott Guinn's Peanut, Butter and Jelly routine, it is really good.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I agree with cmwalden's ideas on openers. Having said that I don't throw out the flashy quick opener Idea but rather acknoweldge that there are more then one way to skin a cat.

For Zednanreh, I would recommand going over to http://www.ultimatemagic.com and get a password and go into there effects section, there are a heap of good things in there that you can use. Also look for NFW versions using normal cards, there are a few that end clean, so It would seem to be your best bet. Also look for two card monte versions that are there too.

Magically

Aus
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Considering what I have learned since this original post, I've slowly been building up my routine. Read this if you want to see a little taste of what I've "done" with the ideas.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......66&1

I feel NFW is too 'out of place' as an opener...or until I find an opening patter for it. As it stands, CMH will remain as my opener and icebreaker for bands. At the bottom of my post is my routine as currently planned. It is missing a climax because it is still "in design". I use "teleportaion", "mutations", "fusion", "fission"... and all other scientific improbabilities as explanation. If you are familiar with the effects, you will have an idea how my patter goes along with the basic handlings. I still haven't field tested my ID with my "clairvoiance" patter, but I will eventually.

- Alex

PS. I'm still kick'n!

PPS. I have the gaffed version of NFW so that I can go straight into Daily's.

PPPS. I plan on presenting the four burglars as the "only magic trick I know" and the rest are just "scientific oddities".
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Zed

It seems, you have a good mix of effects, but make sure they link up to each other, as if you don't they soon become a budle of tricks rather then a routine. Just an Idea of how I do it is by patter or effects that's relate, like a card to wallet to in balloon, or patter wise how a card in a wallet can go into a balloon to show your invisable pick pocketing methods. I would not use these two in the same routine as there effects are to much the same but you get the idea.

To help you more have a look at this artical:
http://www.online-visions.com/close-minded/0307andi.html

That should help you. Also could you give me some info on your patter?

Magically

Aus
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
Alex
May I suggest the Judah shoelace routine by Mike Close.
His patter would fit into your "defying science" theme nicely with a little adjustment to fit your own personality. It's on his very very close vol.#5

Paul
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If your theme is Defying Science, then the Chicago Opener is an excellent choice, for a couple of reasons. One is that it is very direct. Another is that it is a double effect. And at the end, you are clean.

The Brema Nut is a good item for a Defying Science routine. And MIKO is an excellent item for the lay public.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
For a "Defying Science" theme, I think a very strong closer would be a levitation.

landmark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining and Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL