The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't sue me! It's just a bunch of words! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was knocked for a loop tonight. I am constructing a website..well, actually, my son is constructing it, I am writing content.

He's pretty good. Self taught... taught himself programming codes, and I'm pretty proud of him. He's become quite proficient.

Anyway, the site is coming along fabulously. It's a site where people can go to learn new words..improve their vocabulary. It is going to have the mother of all word quizzes, and a word a day feature, all written by yours truly. We have a great, unique domain name, and the home page stands out visually real nice.

The functionality is improving and growing every day, and we may be a week or two from opening.

BUT, here comes the biggie. Tonight I gave Jonathan a break from programming, and I said let's go to the corner store and get something to drink. In the car he said to me "Dad, we need to start thinking about creating our terms of use. We have to do that so no one will sue us."

I replied: "Huh?? Sue me for what?" "For teaching them new vocabulary words?" "It's not like they are trying to rob my house and tripped on my doorstep and broke their leg on the way in. It's just a place where they can go to read and learn new words. What possible harm or injury can come from that?" He replied, "Oh, No! They can sue you for anything. They will make something up. Like some one could say. "I stayed up all night reading your website, and I was late for work the next day, and lost my job. So it's your fault and I'm taking you to court."

Then I realized that he's probably right. I'm a walking dollar sign to someone out there in internet land. probably a group of people.

So I asked him "So, how do we write it then? I don't know the first thing about legalities." He said "Oh, we either do it ourself or hire a lawyer."

A lawyer???? That hit me between the eyes.

We've spent weeks, and lots of time and brain power designing this site, and now I may not be able to put it on the web until I can come up with the money for a lawyer.

Fellows this sucks.

Does anyone here have any idea how to go about writing one's own terms of use? Does anyone here speak legalese?

I'm familiar with thousands of rare, and useful vocabulary words, but that legalese talk is just a little beyond me.

It kills me to think my baby may not get off the ground until I can come up with the dough to hire a *gasp, choke, sputter* l...a..w..y..e..r.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I just hope and pray that MagicSanta's boarder doesn't learn about you until after you get the legalistic boilerplating done.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Huh? Please explain.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-04-26 22:34, daffydoug wrote:
Huh? Please explain.

Sorry, I assumed you were following Santa's story, about his boarder who is quick to sue and take advantage of people:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=32&39
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A 'boarder' implies someone who pays. He is a 'freeloader'. Thank you.

Hey Doug, just put "enter at your own risk"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-04-26 22:51, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-26 22:34, daffydoug wrote:
Huh? Please explain.

Sorry, I assumed you were following Santa's story, about his boarder who is quick to sue and take advantage of people:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=32&39

No. I had not been following the story.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There is one aspect of this guy so horrific I've never publicly or privately voiced it but he did something that had I killed him I likely would have been let go.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think I have the problem licked. I found a website where I can buy a down loadable pre-written terms of use form for a paltry ten bucks. It says and attorney would charge almost 400 bucks to draft the form.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay...I have something to admit. When I saw that your son was concerned that you would come up with a web site that would have people staying up all night looking at it made me giggle.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, I'm putting together the mother of all word tests. My goal is to have at least a thousand words on that test. At this point it's almost up to 500. So conceivably a person could stay up all night doing the test.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I have copyrighted the letters "a", "x", and "q". If you use any of these letters on your site, I will sue.

I also have trademarks for the words "tasty", "luminous", "aardvark", and "moist", so those are off limits, too. Go ahead and try to use them. My lawyer and I need the money.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Daffy there is a site for that will allow you to create a terms of service and privacy policy. I wrote to the instructor of a class I took for the site will post once I get it.

George P
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 12:52, airship wrote:
I have copyrighted the letters "a", "x", and "q". If you use any of these letters on your site, I will sue.

I also have trademarks for the words "tasty", "luminous", "aardvark", and "moist", so those are off limits, too. Go ahead and try to use them. My lawyer and I need the money.

"My goodness. That new microwave made the baked aardvark both moist and tasty... pity it also seems to be luminous!"

Sue me and I'll get Ernest Hemingway's estate on you for stealing his look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrasWkqkamk
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't sue me! It's just a bunch of words! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL