The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Unity of Emotional Impact (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
"The tale of effect" was a literary term used to describe gothic or horror stories in the first half of the nineteenth century. "Effect" meant the total impression or emotion imparted by the story. Edgar Allan Poe claimed that the primary objective or purpose of a story is to achieve a unified effect. The effect might be horror, mystery, beauty, or whatever--but once decided upon, everything in the story should work toward this controlling purpose. Poe wrote:

"A skillful literary artist has constructed a tale. If wise, he has not fashioned his thought to accommodate his incidents; but having conceived, with deliberate care, a certain unique or single effect to be wrought out, he then invents such incidents--he then combines such events as may best aid him in establishing his preconceived effect. If his very initial sentence tend not to be outbringing of this effect, then he has failed in his first step. In the whole composition there should be no word written, of which the tendency, direct or indirect, is not to the one pre-established design. And by such means, with such care and skill, a picture is at length painted which leaves in the mind of him who contemplates it with a kindred art, a sense of the fullest satisfaction."

(See entry for "effect" in Harmon's _Handbook to Literature_.)

Poe's artistic theory could be applied to creating magic routines, acts, and shows!
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Very interesting. Thank You, Alan, for this different angle and prestigious recommendation.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Excellent food for thought.
Michael Kamen
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 23:24, Alan Wheeler wrote:

Poe's artistic theory could be applied to creating magic routines, acts, and shows!

Well, yeah, but that sounds like a lot of WORK!

;)
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
There is an interesting thread in Food For Thought called "Guinn on patter" that encourages us to do this "lot of work" for that's where "real magic" is hidden.

:)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That approach presumes access to an ideal reader.

Liquor is still quicker
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Strong Magic on cocaine.

I don't think an ideal reader would be necessary. If done right, a simple person would feel the intensity as it blazed over their heads.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Jonathan may be alluding to the untimely and alchoholic death of Edgar Allan Poe.

(Someone famous once accused Poe of being 1/5 genius and 4/5 fudge.)

I believe Josh is right, though. Even as children we were able to enjoy hearing father read "The Raven" on Christmas Eve as he sipped on his spiked eggnog.

I do think it's easier to compare creating magic shows to writing ghost stories than to compare it to some other art forms.

And please remember that routining is even important as regards drinking:

Liquor before beer--never fear.
Beer before liquor--never sicker.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
5 Let each magical act represent a complete, distinct, and separate entity; compromising of nothing beyond one continous chain of essential details, leading to one definite effect.

6 Let every accessory and incidental detail be kept well "within the picture," and in harmony with the generay impression which is intended to be conveyed.

7 Let nothing occur without an apparently substantial cause, and let every potential cause produce some apparently consequent effect.

From Masklyne's 24 rules

Don’t them rules cover it?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 17:16, tommy wrote:

lol... yes! If we just tried and use the "Our Magic" rules as a template, the other problems would be gone.
Ray Pierce
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Well... mostly anyway. Keep in mind that those rules were written with the stage performer in mind. While many of them carry over, some don't fare as well for the close up performer, and there are things about close up and strolling that simply aren't addressed in Our Magic. Still, it is most definitely one of the handful of all-time greatest magic text, and worthy of study by every serious student of magic.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 18:13, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Well... mostly anyway. Keep in mind that those rules were written with the stage performer in mind.

That's very true. I was sadly being very myopic in my thinking. I do tend to view them in relation to a stage performance as that is the thrust of my teaching and performance applications.
Ray Pierce
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 00:25, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Strong Magic on cocaine.

I don't think an ideal reader would be necessary. If done right, a simple person would feel the intensity as it blazed over their heads.

Farmer, Bob. The Looking Glass, N° 1 February 1996 by Richard Kaufman; p. 26, Stealing the Hotel Tao. The script is inspired by Miami Vice, with the Kings illustrating 4 kilos of cocaine and the Queens being two dealers. This is a neat version of the Hotel Trick which could also show two dealers (two jacks) working on two schoolboys each (four small cards) but the dealers being isolated for arrest and the four boys saved by magic.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 17:16, tommy wrote:
5 Let each magical act represent a complete, distinct, and separate entity; compromising of nothing beyond one continous chain of essential details, leading to one definite effect.

6 Let every accessory and incidental detail be kept well "within the picture," and in harmony with the generay impression which is intended to be conveyed.

7 Let nothing occur without an apparently substantial cause, and let every potential cause produce some apparently consequent effect.

From Masklyne's 24 rules

Yes. We should use subplots, multiple characters, counterpoint, texture, variety, and surprise very carefully and within a unified design.

I'm not sure how Maskelyn is using the terms "act" and "effect" here. I'll have to go look again.
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Unity of Emotional Impact (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL