The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Old television magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I have been invited to act as a character/magician from the old Ed Sullivan television show, and I do not know where to find out which magicians/mentalists actually performed on the show. I looked thru the list of topics on the Café, and am not sure where to post my inquiry.

Any help with direction would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you for your help,

Lee
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jay Marshall, Don Alan and (I think) Carl Ballentine are good ones...

Julie
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Thank you, Julie - can you think of any mindreader-types? Did Dunninger ever get on?

Lee
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Lee

My memory isn't what is used to be, but I'm confident some of the other "old timers" will be able to chime in with the names of a few other performers who appeared on the show.

Let's see...

Julie Smile
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Here's a link to an informative thread on the Genii forum that addresses this very topic.
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......er=17663
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Thank you all! Any more will gratefully be accepted!

Lee
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Al Flosso did a gig or two on Sullivan, there was a vid of it on youtube. Fred Kaps also did Sullivan, I believe he had the honor of following the Beatles. I think that performance is on the net someplace, run a search.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dunniger did do some television as did the Piddingtons in England. Bob Rossi is the expert on Dunniger.

A lot of guys were on the old Ed Sullivan show, the Bozo Show and several local feed stations. Sr. Rai told me he was on Dell O'Dell's show. I know the Miracle Factory sells the converted videos from Bill McIlhany on the old television magicians.

Dale Harneky did the Magic Palace in Canada with many magicians on.

The hardest thing to find is the limited production and distribution local shows. A lot of guys did the Saturday morning cartoon shows after Mark Wilson opened the door.

Yes, Kaps was on the same show with the Beatles but he had been taped. Fantasio was on another one. I will not even attempt to start with the Latin and South American Television shows.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 20:42, Father Photius wrote:
Fred Kaps also did Sullivan, I believe he had the honor of following the Beatles. I think that performance is on the net someplace, run a search.

This performance is actually available on DVD. I purchased it from Suncoast Video (no longer in business). I have it my hand now and it is titled "The Four Complete Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring the Beatles" It is distributed by Goodtimes Entertainment. Fred Kaps appeared on the show on February 9th 1964. It says Fred Kaps - Card & Salt Shaker Trick. Also on September 25th 1965 (as hugmagic noted)was a performance by Fantasio - Sleight-Of-Hand Artist.
I think Ed Sullivan had many magicians on his show as well as "You Asked For It".
Good luck !
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have that DVD of the Sullivan show also. Look on ebay. It is worth getting.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
By the way, the newspaper trick is "Headline Countdown" and is described in Hugh Miller's "Al Koran's Legacy". The famous "Gold Medallion" is also in the same book.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Old television magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL