The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone know Ricky Jay's routine...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-04-12 13:10, Bill Palmer wrote:
And the point is?

An observation speaking to the topic that raged through the beginning of this topic: copying the patter and/or style of other performers...
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Did you notice that the intent of the original poster had nothing to do with copying Ricky's patter or routine?

We got all of that settled out pretty well, I think.

The same thing happened a while back when someone asked about "The Exclusive Coterie." The furor that was raised was much, much stronger than the one about this routine, and when you get right down to it, Ricky didn't write it. It's in Erdnase. It's in the public domain.

The fact is that very few people can pull this kind of patter off. The copyist can't copy Ricky's personality. And if you don't have the personality for it, you will look a lot like an eight year old who goes into the attic, brings out his father's old clothes, puts them on, and pretends to be his father. The result will be bathetic.

I have something in the neighborhood of 300 different cups and balls routines, in print, on DVD and on VHS tape. I don't do any of them, because they don't fit me.

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with copying a published routine when you are starting out and trying to find the direction you want to go. Rather than re-hash this material, I'll let you do a search for Whit Haydn's posts about this same topic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-04-12 16:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
Did you notice that the intent of the original poster had nothing to do with copying Ricky's patter or routine?

We got all of that settled out pretty well, I think.

The same thing happened a while back when someone asked about "The Exclusive Coterie." The furor that was raised was much, much stronger than the one about this routine, and when you get right down to it, Ricky didn't write it. It's in Erdnase. It's in the public domain.

The fact is that very few people can pull this kind of patter off. The copyist can't copy Ricky's personality. And if you don't have the personality for it, you will look a lot like an eight year old who goes into the attic, brings out his father's old clothes, puts them on, and pretends to be his father. The result will be bathetic.

I have something in the neighborhood of 300 different cups and balls routines, in print, on DVD and on VHS tape. I don't do any of them, because they don't fit me.

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with copying a published routine when you are starting out and trying to find the direction you want to go. Rather than re-hash this material, I'll let you do a search for Whit Haydn's posts about this same topic.

Well written and point(s) taken.
; )
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Bill,

Since it is public domain, could you possibly point me towards a good source, either here or via PM. A google search didn't come up with any hits. I have no desire to replicate the routine, but as you know I am new to C&B and am devouring every possible thing I can get my grubby little mits on.
Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ricky's cups and balls routine is NOT public domain. Some of the elements of it are, but he has put it together from the various parts I mentioned in an earlier post.

They are: Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot and Hocus Pocus, Junior. The Anatomie of Legerdemain. or The Art of Iugling set forth in his proper colours....

There is also a small portion of it that comes from Bartolomeo Bosco's routine.

The Exclusive Coterie is in Erdnase. That's in the public domain.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
OK, I misunderstood. My apologies
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nothing to apologize for at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone know Ricky Jay's routine...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL