The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Effects That Involve The Elmsley/Ghost Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
My problem with the EC is if I happen to mention that the effect uses 4 cards and then do the display (EC), it seems that about 70-80% of the time someone says "hey, I only saw 3 cards". Very frustrating, and I've practiced the hell out of it.
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Quote:
On 2009-05-17 16:01, J.Robert wrote:
My problem with the EC is if I happen to mention that the effect uses 4 cards and then do the display (EC), it seems that about 70-80% of the time someone says "hey, I only saw 3 cards". Very frustrating, and I've practiced the hell out of it.

Weird - you know I've never had that happen, never mind 2 times out of every 3 ! Smile

The rhythm of the thing is important, and also not making a big deal - you're just showing the cards ...
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
To J. Robert- That's a surprise that so many people say you're only counting 3 cards! Everyone I do it to are fooled by it. Are you doing this to people who perform magic? I even showed my ficnce how the count is done and she is still fooled by it. Maybe it's the type people we're doing it to, because no one has noticed the false count, granted I have been carrying around 4 or 5 cards everywhere I go for the last few months and practicing. Keep trying and do it in a mirror to see is it looks good.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Also, one thing I like about practicing this count in a mirror is that it gives you a chance to practice it with your eyes not on the cards but in the mirror.(yes they are on the cards but in the mirror) It makes it a little more difficult for me doing it in mirror, but helps in the long run.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I've been trying to make the cards "click" a little as I pull them off, that way, if only subconsciously, they hear 4 clicks (I let the last card click off my fingers).
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
That's a good tip about the mirror work.

I'm always trying to remind myself not to burn my own hands - it only encourages others to burn them as well, it gives a big tip-off that this is one of the places where 'something' is happening even if they don't fully know what it is ...

If the count is done at constant rhythm, with just the receiving hand moving, I've always found the EC very deceptive.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
AlienSpaceBat is so right about NOT making a big deal about it and having that rhythm in the count. I never say "OK, look, I have FOUR cards". Doing "NFW", I casually say (and I do this kind of quickly) "I have some jokers, three are face up and one face down" while I'm doing the count. By the time I'm done THEN they are registering in their head that I have 4 cards. (and also think the face down one is a joker, too, when it's not). And I'm not a sleight expert, maybe with the Elmsley Count I am, but that's how I do it.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
As someone who tends to get a little nervous when a sleight is involved, I am happy to say that I have never messed up the EC when doing NFW-(to spectators) I have no Idea why, as sometimes I have a slip-up when I'm doing it myself.(And I do it a million times a day) Sometimes I try to get super fancy with it or do it at lightning speed (which is not good I hear). I am so happy with the count it almost fools myself! so when you're happy with it, then you should be fine.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
One time, I had someone ask me to recount the cards. That kinda killed the trick at that point. So I sat down and came up with a count that would get me back to EC position without having to rearrange the cards.

Eventually, I learned that I simply recreated a version of the Jordan count. I proceeded to practice EC, Jordan, EC, Jordan, EC. After several months, I could easily count four cards and simply repeat the count again and again. Its wonderful practice and I now use the Jordan Count in other tricks. So when you get into this situation again, just count the four cards again and you're right back in EC position.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 22:42, konjurer wrote:
One time, I had someone ask me to recount the cards. That kinda killed the trick at that point. So I sat down and came up with a count that would get me back to EC position without having to rearrange the cards.

Eventually, I learned that I simply recreated a version of the Jordan count. I proceeded to practice EC, Jordan, EC, Jordan, EC. After several months, I could easily count four cards and simply repeat the count again and again. Its wonderful practice and I now use the Jordan Count in other tricks. So when you get into this situation again, just count the four cards again and you're right back in EC position.
The "Underground Elmsley" will reset the cards to an Elmsley Count setup also...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Effects That Involve The Elmsley/Ghost Count (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL