The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Folding Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
What is the BEST/Proper way to Fold a 6' x 6' silk for production? I will need to use this in a Silk Cylinder, Change Bag, or other changing devices. I want it to look nice when it comes out and I know that there is a proper way to fold the silk. Bob can you chime in here and let me know.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Fold the silk in half so that the two corners you wish to hold it up by during the reveal are touching.

Accordian fold the silk starting at the fold you created (therefore lengthwise) towards the two corners to be held making the size of the fold so that they will fit into the devise used to produce the silk.

At this point you should have a very narrow folded silk the width required for the production devise, but still 6' long.

Now accordian fold the length, starting at the edge furthest from the two corners to be held, until the package will fit into the production devise.

You may wish to sew a bead or small button into each of the two corners to be held so you can easily feel and find them.

With this fold, once the silk is ready for production, you can simply grasp the two corners you want and spread your hands to produce the silk.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A good reference is Jack Chanin's book Silks at your fingertips or the Paul Diamond tape Silk sympanette.

The above description is very good but I do one thing a little different. Once I have accordian pleated it up about 2/3 of the way up, I roll it and put a rubber band on from edge to edge. When I produce it, I go down with the hands (with the silk) grasping a button in each hand. I move the hands apart and then lift up to exhibit the silk. If it is a silk that needs to be read when produce, make one button or bead larger than the other.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rodney,

The only thing I would add is that I use two different size beads in the corners so I know right from left. If there is a message, company logo, etc. on the silk you want to present it where it reads correctly.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Richard's reference to Paul Diamond tape is right on. It has great tips on silk folding, silk fountain, dye tubes, silk winders (that Richard also sells), and a good way to load a hank ball.
Lynn Fox
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
Anyone knows where I can get hold of the Paul Diamond tape? I runned a search through the internet and found nothing. The tape looks really interesting because there´s not much silk tapes on the market.

-Fred
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Thank You for all of your advice, it is really helpful. Bob, I am having a small piece of cloth attached to the two ends. On the right side will be a RED Button for Right and on the Left side will be a Black Button so I will know left from right.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
On 2009-05-19 11:50, Fred-Erik Johanson wrote:
Anyone knows where I can get hold of the Paul Diamond tape? I runned a search through the internet and found nothing. The tape looks really interesting because there´s not much silk tapes on the market.
-Fred

It's on e-bay until the 24-May.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lessons-In-Magic-Wit......07r13020
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Rodney
I fan fold (according fold) the silk from left to right and then do the same from bottom to the top. I have both corners of the top of the silk marked with little rubber washers. But you can use beads of anything like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Folding Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL