The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Illusion EFX DVD by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
A review for this DVD is needed.

I have most of his illusions and hope this dvd would be as good as the others.

Description:

ANDREW MAYNE presents seven incredible easy-to-build inexpensive stage illusions for the beginner and the pro.

Make motorcycles appear, move through human beings, build a Shadow Box illusion for under $50 and more!

Based upon his experience performing around the world in resorts, showrooms and cruise ships, ANDREW MAYNE presents practical illusions that can be put together very quickly for very little money.
+ 7 illusions
+ DVD running time 65 minutes

Regards!
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I'd love to read a review from this dvd. I love Andrew Mayne effects like his Ghostbills, Gutbuster and Bisection. I hope these effects are similar to his illusion plans (Razorwire, Voodoo Box, etc.) so I could see them in action.

Anybody there who already took the plunge on this dvd?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I bought this DVD when it first came out and have already made the main props used in it. Here is my review.

Mini-motorcycle appearance: While it's called the mini-motorcycle appearance, you can make just about anything appear. While Andrew uses a scaffolding which is available at Lowes/Home Depot for about $110, you could make this illusion work with a table or something of that nature. It's relatively inexpensive to build but you will have to be able to control your lighting. It's a good presentation for some principles found in Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions.

Walk through an audience Member- This is a really cool idea with minimal cost. You'll need a sheet with a rod or dowel through it and one other prop which you may already have. The illusion is you call up an audience member, have them raise their hands and cross them above their head. The magician then grips the rod/curtain from behind them cleanly showing that they are behind the audience member and their arms are on the outside of them. The curtain is raised enough that the magician can not be seen but his hands and the audience members arms are still visible from the audience. A split second later the magician is now in front of the audience member. It's a quick and pretty powerful illusion.

Vanish a Helper: Again the scaffolding is used, but this time in a slightly different way to sell the illusion even more. The basic illusion is the helper stands on a plank across the scaffold, the magician raises a cloth and about 1-2 seconds later the cloth is removed and the helper is gone. Again, you'll need to be able to control your lighting some but this is a quick illusion and a very good one.

Change places in the Blink of an Eye- Again the Scaffolding is used. The magician raises up a curtain in front of himself walks toward the audience, the curtain is dropped and it's the helper.

Move Through a Solid Brick Wall- Works about the same way as the change places illusion but this time it appears the magician went through the wall and appears on the back side.

Pack flat Shadow box- This is your normal old shadow bow but Andrew shows you how to make one for about $50.

Make objects grow several times thier size. Again this utilizes the shadow bow but in a slightly differnt way. He throws a small ball in and a large one pops out. He throws a silk with a knot tied in it in and a large silk with a knot pops out...with a helper tied inside.

I liked all the illusions in this DVD but you won't be able to use all of them in the same show. Because 3 of the illusions involve the scaffolding it won't take long for the audience to start to figure out something is fishy. However, using one of the illusions with the scaffolding can be very strong. It can also be sitting on stage the whole time and be used for holding props etc.

I also wouldn't use the changing places in the blink of an eye and walking through a brick wall in the same show because they are so similiar.

And obvious you wouldn't use the shadow box twice in the same show either.

That being said buy just building two main props and a vanishing curtain you'll have 7 different illusions to choose from to move in and out of your show.

The mini-moto appearance as I stated before can be used to produce just about anything imaginable.

For $25 I think it would be hard to go wrong purchasing this DVD, but that's just my opinion.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Thanks Mario for your great review.
I already placed my order with HP.
I think it's a good deal even if you only use one illusion.

Cheers!
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks for the review! Will be getting this soon. I respect everything that Andrew Mayne puts out.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
Mario Orsini,
thanks for the great review!
I did my order yesterday.
WALTHER
jameme
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
193 Posts

Profile of jameme
Thanks for the review
I also PM you mario
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Thanks for the review Mario,
I need some information about this product, I'm interesting with this dvd....
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Penguin has a demo on there site. http://www.Penguinmagic.com

Jeremy
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I really like his "Walking Through an Audience Member". It requires minimal props and it is really a visual stunner. Andrew Mayne is a brilliant thinker! Smile

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
hendramagic
View Profile
Regular user
INDONESIA
140 Posts

Profile of hendramagic
I recommend this, I get original dvd. Is good effect. This solution for any magician, to make bigger illusion with cheaper price and lux effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Illusion EFX DVD by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL