The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bend A Half Dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Hey guys.

I just purchased a bent half dollar from Tango (through my local magic shop). I called him and ordered it over the phone. What I did not realize was there are so many different qualites of this. The one I received was in great condition (uncirculated quality), but the bend was not smooth at all. It literally looks like it was bent in the middle... but when performing this trick, I use the lighter routine to make it look like I heated it to bend it... but it doesn't look real!!! Everyone knew it was already bent.

My local shop said I could pay $40 (which is a lot) for a tool to do this (that looks good). Is it worth it? Or should I order one from a different company?

Suggestions?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
If they're talking about the SL Coin Bending Tool it's very, very good.
But of course, you can always bend coins yourself. Some pliers will do the job.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Pliers I could do, but it always leaves markings... making it obvious.

I just don't know if it's worth the $40 right now. Thanks for the input.
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Get an old pair of leather work gloves and cut off the 4 fingers, slip these "fingers" over the end of the buisness end of your pliers, then do the bend and you will leave no marks.
I hope this helps,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Sounds like that would work! Thanks for the help Ocha.

(Now I'm embarassed to admit I paid for one!!!!)
Schmecal
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
70 Posts

Profile of Schmecal
This is magic, my friend. Be prepared to be embarassed about a lot of stuff you buy. We all do it...
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 21:32, Schmecal wrote:
This is magic, my friend. Be prepared to be embarassed about a lot of stuff you buy. We all do it...

Hahaha, thanks for the reassurance! Smile

And Gerald, I post from my iPhone quite often also.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
You can also wrap the coin in paper towel a few times, and then bend it with pliers. No marks this way.
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Well, did you try one of the above suggestions? If so how did it work out for you?
I'm just a bit curious, I like props and gaffs but there is something rewarding when you make your own gaff or prop and it comes out exactly the way you wanted.

Anyway best of luck to you,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
PWB
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of PWB
I have had success with a smooth vise and placing the coin flat between the the jaws and only bend it a bit so it is more subtle.

pat
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just placed an order for one with plans to perform it after, perhaps, a Copper, Silver Brass routine or something when they least expect it.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If you're daring enough, you can place a half dollar on a piece of copper tubing and anneal it, when the coin just starts to turn a light orange, not a bright orange you can use
a a pair of pliers without leaving any marks. Make sure after you get the bend you want you drop it in some water right away., You can bend the coin anyway you like. I do a lot
of coin work and this has worked best for us when making custom bent coins.

Do NOT buy the coin bender for 40.00. I know what this is and it will break after using it just a few times, if it's the one I'm thinking of it's made in India, which should tell you
a lot. Mr. Magic used to be Uday.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I always went lo-tech and placed a rag in a vise and the coin in the rag, leaving the top half of the coin exposed. Placing another rag atop the exposed portion, I bent it to my specs with pliers. Always worked for me.

Gerald's ideas of using glove-fingers sounds like a more advanced variation, and one I may have to try.

I heard of others using door-jambs to bend coins in a pinch. Never tried that one, though.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
If you are looking for a great routine where not one, but TWO coins are bent, check out my routine on my At the Table download (two hours of coin magic for 10 bucks), or on the NYCMS DVDs (volume 16), available as a download from Vanishing Inc. Magic (as is the entire 17 disc series).
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bend A Half Dollar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL