The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Bitter Sweet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tannin
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of tannin
Heres something that doesn't happen everyday . My grandparents when they retired moved away to Kelowna British Columbia .There neighbour I met once or twice but I was only 6 or 7 and don't really remember it . Ten years later my grandparents moved back to Fort St John BC where I lived . Those neighbours came to visit them every now and then . That neighbour turned out to be a magician ,hypnotist and mentalist .He toured throughout Canada and the states from the late 40s till the 80s.His stage name was Trebini. Without a doubt he became one of the biggest influences in my life . He started showing me tricks at age 15 . Iv been involved with magic and hypnosis ever since and Im 28 now.Through out the years we have become great friends .Hes given me a head chopper which I rebuilt and is now one of my floor collection .It was built in 57 . Iv also got lots of other stuff throughout the years ,Coin pail ,dove pan ,straight jacket etc.Then a month ago he called and offered everything he has to me .His kids aren't interested in magic at all and he knew I would take it all to heart . So I went to his home in Airdrie alberta and loaded everything .A couple hundred books from 1909 to present day books. Movies dvds posters . All his Genii magazines from 47 till sometime in the 80s .A giant rabbit costume over 8' tall .A giant Frankenstein monster costume from his spook shows. All his left over posters that were unused from touring and all his magic collection . I am stunned for words .He is 83 years old and if he passed on he wanted to make sure it didn't get thrown away and it continued on . None of it has really hit me untill now .I was flipping through some of the books trying to organize them and I came upon a book with Bill Larsens autograph wishing Trebini all the best and so on . Then underneath it Trebini wishing me all the best . Wow . I just wanted to share this with some people who would understand as much as I do how hard that must have been and how gratefull I am to have a mentor like that .
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Tannin,
You are so lucky. It must seem like Christmas to you. I kind of know the feeling, as a friend of mine who owned a magic shop passed away and left all his magic to me. Nothing really collectible, but he was the same as Trebini, he did not want it just given or thrown away.
Good luck and have fun going through everything, I know I would !!!
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
A short length of magicians rope and a silk that were a gift from a magician when I started in magic. Worthless to anyone else, but priceless to me.
Thank you for receiving this man's legacy and letting us know it will be cherished.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've accepted the collections/estates of 2 magicians who were friends, and I've cherished not only the props, but what I learned from both of them. One is still alive and is a fantastic performer, but unfortunately, the other has passed, as did his wife a short time later. I miss him.

Steve
tannin
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of tannin
As it has been 10 years since my last post about this man Im sorry to say he has passed away last month.93 years old . His family called me to come down. When I arrived they handed me a box. The only thing he didn't give me from his magic collection. His original Linking Rings. He hung onto them until he Passed with instructions to pass them to me. ***. None of his family know what this means. But Im sure you all do . Heart Broken.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
My condolences to you and his family.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Bitter Sweet (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL