The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Posey Regulation with Side Loops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
I've been using a Cannon's Old Style (gimmicked) straight jacket for a couple of years.
It plays well and the escape gets a great reaction.

But, recently I purchased a used Posey Regulation with Side Loops....non-gimmicked.

I've been practicing with it and can get out as long as the side loops are not incorporated.

My question is....what advice can you offer on incorporating the side loops. It seems nearly impossible but then again, I've not been in the escape biz as long as many of you.
So...my ears and mind are open. I'd love some input.

My wife often asks...."why do you do this to yourself?" I'm not sure how to answer it except to say that it a wonderful feeling when you successful make the escape.
So...I'm hoping to be successful with this one.

Thanks in advance.
Carrington
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

How about I correct my grammar a bit there.....

Final sentence should read: "....except to say that it IS a wonderful feeling when you successFULLY make the escape...."

I need to proof before I hit submit.

Thanks
Carrington
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Or even make an escape Smile Sorry couldn't resist ....

sode ye olde grammerrrerrr!

Just a quick question have you seen the jay Lesley DVD?

I had a SJ with side loops - I just cut the buggers off! Or claim that they are to be held by the guards!

I know it is possible to escape with the use of the side loops. But cant offer any real advice so ill just stick with the wet suggestions! Smile
Russell_LA
View Profile
Regular user
Van Nuys, CA
101 Posts

Profile of Russell_LA
With work and practice, you should be able to escape with the side loops involved. (I have recently been able to try a jacket like this.) Out of curiosity, which type of buckle does your new jacket have? That might be a clue as to the best way to attack it.

R.
"You cannot kill the boogeyman."
- Halloween
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Thanks for the comments.....Dave, I've actually considered the cutting off of the loops. As this one is not my primary jacket, I've held off the cutting until I"ve given the thing the "old college try". The comment about the loops being for the guards to grasp is a great idea. Gives a purpose.

Russell....the buckles are the friction type....not the roller. I'm open to ideas.

And....yes, I should check out Jay's video. I've heard good things about it.

My arms are tired....I just finished doing the straight jacket for 4 different performances for a summer camp. (Even though I'm using a gimmicked Cannon's, one still has to work)
But....it's great to see the reaction from the audience...(in this case,, kids). They were awesome.

Thanks
Carrington
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I will be combining a straight jacket and guillotine for an escape later this month. As my head will be in the stocks, I am using a different method of escape than the usual. The side straps will not be a problem. If you are interested, please PM me.
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
By the way, my jacket is a regulation Posey jacket.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

PM'd you.
Thanks
sivartn
View Profile
New user
Nebraska
58 Posts

Profile of sivartn
I recently purchased a SJ that has a front arm loop. It is hooked in the back with three D rings and D rings to hook the arms together in the back. I have practiced the over the head method on my old costume SJ, and was wondering how to go about getting out while using the front arm loop.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Sivartn,

I have the Posey regulation jacket, with front loop (and side loops). I find the front loop does not make any difference for me. I can also escape with the side loops, but not "over the head". Since I find the OTH method much more visually appealing, I removed the side loops, but the front loop is still there.
sivartn
View Profile
New user
Nebraska
58 Posts

Profile of sivartn
I also think the OTH method does look better to, so I guess I will just not use the front loop, or do you think I would be able to get enough slack to get my elbow past the loop and get my arm over my head? If I don't use the front loop, what is a good reason for it being there if I don't remove it?
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
In the (2nd?) "Lethal Weapon" movie: in the jacket escape scene, the side-loops were present but NOT used. They were ignored, and I'm sure no one in the movie theaters stood up and shouted: "Hy, he's not using the side-loops!" It's all in your presentation.

Maybe, keep a jacket with side-loops for your own personal practice sessions & ego Smile...but, as stated above, feel free to cut-off the side loops on the jacket you're using to perform in..why kill yourself?....especially if you're performing on a regular basis.

Most of the performers who use the Posey side-loops have THEIR ASSISTANT put the jacket on for them, and those performers are of wirey/of slim-build.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
sivartn
View Profile
New user
Nebraska
58 Posts

Profile of sivartn
I just put myself in my old costume sj made from canvas with the proper amount of D ring belts around me and a chest loop I rigged up just to get a timing idea for when I get my real one in the mail. I figured that most sj escapes lose interest after about 2:30 min...maybe 3....but if they have music and comedy to them the escape can go on for a bit longer. So I found the perfect song for the sj escape that is exactly 3 min. long. "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. Once I'm in the sj I will ask my assistant to play some music to set the mood. It will start playing "Funny Farm" as a joke...i will stop it and then start playing "crazy" and be out of the straight jacket right as the song ends.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If you'd asked me just 3 months ago I'd have raved about using front and side loops. That they are the way to go yadda yadda yadda.....

After doing it day in day out I, like Dave, have chopped them off!

They're a killer, especially on the street. 5-7 escapes per day... Loops can s*d right off.

I have kept the front at the mo. But am considering getting rid of that one too.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi, here is a link to one of our live Posey Straitjacket Escapes on stage. This features the side loops and letting the audience know what they are for and how used.
hope the link works, I got it from the blackberry
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcx6iyJ0jJc......v-google
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
My apologies for putting the wrong link up
here is the correct one which should take you directly to the POSEY STRAITJACKET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcx6iyJ0jJc
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Posey Regulation with Side Loops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL