The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleeves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
What do you think, are long or short sleeves better for a manipulation act?

In one point of view, the use of sleeves is the greatest myth about magicians. When a spectator sees a magic show, most times he is amazed at first look and next he thinks, "this guy got from his sleeve, or put it into his sleeve." He doesn't think about others methods, and the real secret is secure.

But if a magician has short sleeves and produces cards, balls, cigarettes, etc., the spectator is totally amazed! But today, spectators never believe in real magic (maybe kids and some blondes;) ). And the spectator seriously thinks and sometimes can discover the secret. But if he doesn't discover the secret, he is very, very amazed.

But which way is better, long or short sleeves?

PS. - Three years ago at a Polish national convention, one magician performed ball productions with short sleeves, and some days letter one journalist wrote the following in a newspaper, "This guy does a very nice ball production, but a keen observer can figure out that a magician gets balls from his sleeve." Smile ...From short sleeves? Smile
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I think long sleeves are better. It takes the heat off of the other areas where the real magic is taking place. Anyway, the audience knows you are using your sleeves.
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Even though I do use my sleeves during part of my manipulation act, there is a point in the routine where I roll them up (attempting to dispell that my sleeves are used).

I'm not so sure if audience members truly think "Oh...he must be using his sleeves." During certain manipulation routines where sleeving may be involved, the sleeving should be indetectable (watch Rocco Silano, and you'll understand what I mean).

Personally, I prefer long sleeves that are rolled up to the elbows - - not because I'm using them, but because I want to dispell the notion that my sleeves are being used. I like the way rolling the sleeves up helps create a 'clean,' 'open & honest' psyche in the minds of audiences.

Magically,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I was just reading through these threads, and thought I'd throw out my own experiences real fast.

I've done a dove act for the past 6 years. After shows people would often ask, "How do you fit so many (6) doves in your sleeves?" as if they really knew how it was being accomplished. It finally took Ed Alonzo kicking my butt into action to actually do something about it. Now I do my act without sleeves, and the audience has reacted well! I had Ardan James listen into a couple shows from the audience, and they've been completely fooled.

My point being... from my personal experiences, in my own little world, I've noticed that No Sleeves is WAY more effective to the LAY Audience than having sleeves. I hope this helps. Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I have to agree with Dave. For those of you not familiar with his performance it is nothing short of fantastic! Six doves in short sleeves..it looked impressive!

The last time I saw his act which was part of a National Tour, I remember thinking that his wearing short sleeves was a great idea. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Pss Delphin...whaddya mean there's no such thing as real magic? Smile
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I have done my act in both long and short sleeves. I really don't have a preference I will look at the venue, either formal or casual then decide what I will wear for that particular show. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleeves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL