The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Whirlwood Magic Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
My children and I annually go to the Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. Today I came across a gentleman who sells nothing but magic wands. These aren't the type of wands that we might normally find, e.g., the ebony variety in one unchanging diameter with white tips similar to a fancy dowel. Rather these are hand turned on a lathe with some beautiful woods in various sizes and shapes. I picked up a beautiful wand with what appears to be a cocobolo handle and ebony tapered shaft, very 'Harry Potterish" for a bit over $50. It has a 'secret compartment" - the handle unscrews - which provides some added fun for card work, billets, etc. where a spectator might hold a card corner or the like only to have the card appear inside the wand that he himself is holding - lots of possibilities.

I know I've rarely used a wand (cups and balls perhaps the only exception) because of the nerdish connotations it somethings brings. These however are quite impressive and well priced. The artist Gary Hall does have some quite spectacular wands on his website with multiple layers of wood that are quite pricey; I didn't see any of these and didn't know about them until I returned home. However, if in the market for something unique for less money than I've seen others in the marketplace or if looking for a real collector's piece, I'd suggest you have a look.

The website is http://www.whirlwood.com and I believe he travels around to other renaissance and Xmas fairs. He is from the LA area. For those worried about a 'plug' I simply as passing along a real find in my opinion; nothing was given or asked for in this review. Check them out! I'm very glad I found them today.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
These are quite pretty!

My personal favorite along these lines is the work of Brian Humphrey at Fortress Wand Works -- http://fortresswands.com -- for not only a lovely selection of styles, but an impressive variety of domestic and exotic woods (NOT just finishes). And every wand is custom! (Plus, he's a great person to work with -- which is why he is the official wandmaker of the Chicago Magic Competition.)

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Whirlwood Magic Wands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL