The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Some beginer's question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

conankid144
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of conankid144
Hi, I am a beginner

I went around and decide to buy Tarbell magic course books
but I want to ask: Does the Tarbell course published in 1993 different with Tarbell course published before(set of 8 vol)?

I go around internet seeking around and found that this will cost me around $180 for full set. Do you guys know where can I buy this with cheaper price?

And in the past I saw a show that an old man tie his wrist ( not his thumb only) and he just make his arm (tied) through a circle, and lot more thing just like the thumb tie show. Do you know the name of this trick ?
magicnix
View Profile
New user
North Eastern CA
51 Posts

Profile of magicnix
You made a great decision in deciding to get the Tarbell set. I'm so glad I did. I'm constantly reference my set. It is expensive but worth it. I waited for awhile and bought mine when an online magic store had a great 30% or 40% off special. You can purchase the volumes separately and can sometimes find them on ebay or at other stores.

As for the wrist tie, maybe check volume 6 of Tarbell for the Marvel Wrist tie.
conankid144
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of conankid144
I already saw the e-book of Tarbell course
the price is $37
do any one know what is the different of the regular type book with e-book type?
are they the same or else ?
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
One option would be to just buy volume one?

Its very easy to get overloaded with books / tricks / effects. There is nothing wrong with being a magic book collector - but if you would rather be a magic book reader, maybe start with volume one, and see if you would like to progress from there?

Regarding the ebook vs. the published works - here is what I saw on lybrary.com

<quote>
You will get the original correspondence course of 60 lessons plus the one post graduate lesson that Tarbell wrote. These 60 + 1 lessons are not identical to the later published anthologies (book volumes 1-8 of which only 1-5 were actually written by Tarbell himself; the other volumes were added later under the Tarbell Course name mainly for marketing purposes). For the most part, the 60 lessons can be found under different lesson numbers and sometimes different headings in the volumes 1 to 5 of the books. The post graduate lesson was reprinted in book volume 8. There are some parts from the original 60 lessons that you will not find anywhere in the eight book volumes.
</quote>

So - short answer, yes they are different.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Tarbell Volume 1, only $19.35 at:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/tarbell-co......41d1485d

:magicrabbit:
conankid144
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of conankid144
Thx pradell, craig fothers and magicnix
I search ebay and now they have some seller have Tarbell course books with best price
I saw one deal with 8 books with 50 Canada dollar but they live in Canada and I live in US (>!<)
Just buy vol 1 (used) from ebay 9.99(+4 shipping=13.99) (^^)
now just wait for the first book
Oh btw if I have an idea(new trick) how can I check is it already belong to sb else or just me is the first one.
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
The original 60-lesson correspondences course is not followed verbatim in the book version. Volume 8 actually has a nice write-up about the history of both if memory serves me correctly.

Brand new 8 vol set $165 + shipping.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......2310.htm
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I think volume 1 Tarbell alone could keep a new magician busy for a year or better, there is enough variety there alone worthy of building a performance out of. And you have to appreciate the manner of speech and language in the patter lines. They are classic, and reveal much about the points of presentation which a performer may want to build there own style from.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
A magic dealer I knew, pieced together a set from used copies and sold it to me for $90, and made a profit.

I agree with the above, a good magician doesn't need that many tricks. Start slow and focus on one or two effects at a time. It's great that you're starting with Tarbell. Most of the videos and "new" tricks are just rehashes of the classics.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I bought my set from Denny and Lee's at $200... a little overpriced but worth it since it was a real magic shop with personal help from Denny.

I agree you should just get volume one for now and work your way up. As much as I love lybrary.com, this is one of those sets you need to have a hard copy of.

Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2009-07-18 17:27, conankid144 wrote:
Oh btw if I have an idea(new trick) how can I check is it already belong to sb else or just me is the first one.

It's been done. Just make it your own, and don't sell it.

Whatever you do, whether store bought or something you've come up with, make it relate to you. That's the kind of originality you should aim for. Tricks are just tricks, get over that now. You are one of a kind.

If you really must know about the origins of your original trick, PM one of the older members with a lot of posts (Bill Palmer, Pete Biro, Lawrence O... or even me). It's great that you're reading and coming up with your own stuff. You're off to a great start.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Some beginer's question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL