The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Presentation idea for Fearson's box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Ever since Fearson's box levitation came out I have liked the idea. Other magicians have not for example one friend of mine said "Why the hell would you stand in a milk crate to levitate?" The whole controller thing seems a little odd as well. I always thought this was somewhat "sketchy" or odd. I have wanted to come up with a decent presentation and have thought that this would be a good intro to another levitation as this effect might not be able to stand on its own or you might not be able to get much play out of it. In another post I proposed a question about technology in magic asking how far was to far and also how in the future there will be texchnologies that actually allow us to levitate, appear, dissapear, etc therefore making some types of magic effects obsolete or just not able to be performed anymore. For example if humans were able to levitate would magicians still be performing levitation effects? If everyones hand was able to actually turn 360 degrees would we perform the twisting arm illusion? There is a technology that is out where high voltage is injected into an object reducing its weight and allowing it to levitate known as the "Biefeld Brown Effect" and although this technology has been around since the 1920's it is little known. Here is a youtube video demonstrating it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBlZ8agldE.

Last night I had a dream that I was performing Fearson;s Box and claiming I was using the Biefeld Brown effect to acomplish the levitation and then woke up and thought to myself that this might be a good way to present Fearson's box. I can then use this to open up and go into another levitation stating that altough technology can be used I will now attempt to levitate the said item/girl/myself utilizing magic. I was then thinking that some bad can come of this
A) I am basically saying I am using technology to accomplish this reducing it from a magic effect to a scientific demonstration
B) Demonstrating something that the audience has no idea exists therefor confusing them
C) Since this is a magic show and they have no idea it exists they will think I am lying or tricking them?

So maybe presenting the box this way is not a good idea?

Does anyone have any opinions on my idea for presenting Fearson's box? Any comments? Do you think I am wrong and there is nothing wrong with the effect it is not odd and strong enough to stand on its own? Should I use it to open for naother levitation?

I was so convinced I found a good idea then started second guessing myself so wanted to ask some here for their ideas on mine.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Chris,

I think your thinking to much. I personally think it's a good idea. Go with your gut, try it and see how the audience responds.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Thanks for the advice. I do tend to think a lot which can be good but bad as well. Somtimes I think myself out of doing sometime due to fear of it not working or complexities, etc. I also tend to think things will be obvious to the spectators, or not strong because I am a mgciaisn and use a magicians way to think. Sometimes I wish I could forget everything I know to get a better understanding on how my magic effect might impact the layperson.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Does anyone else like this presentation, or is it a terrible idea? I just was curious as to other peoples opinions in addition to Mr. Eldon
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
As much as it's nice to consider our opinions, we're not your audience. Try it out and listen... they will tell you everything. The (eventually) successful routine will grow from the knowledge you gain in testing it in front of an audience.
Ray Pierce
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I like the idea. This helps the box make sense. You could really go wild with the look of the box. Sounds like a lot of fun to build.

I have seen several performers do stuff they were claiming as science. If you can weave an interesting line of patter to engage the audience whats the harm?

Gimpy
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 01:29, Ray Pierce wrote:
As much as it's nice to consider our opinions, we're not your audience. Try it out and listen... they will tell you everything. The (eventually) successful routine will grow from the knowledge you gain in testing it in front of an audience.

Agreed. Take it out there and see how it plays. It sounds to me like a great presentation.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I haven't put mine together but my 'thoughts' are; You bring out your props, etc. in the box and use them.

Then you talk about an excercise program where the weight you lift is yourself.

You then stand in the box and pull yourself up off the ground.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
The Fearson box is a great piece if performed right. They ask why stand in a box. The trick is two fold.. you float inside the box, and then you make the entire box float with you in it. It goes from being a great illusion to a great illusion with a better kicker. Sounds to me the presentation is lacking if people are taking the time to ask why a box. We use boxes on stage one after another, yet during sawing, I never hear why a box. The presenter isn't making the illusion clear or strong enough in my opinion. The controller is stupid and unneeded... but the illusion is fine the way it is.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I don't know the working of this so hopefully these ideas still can apply:

Why not make the controller a meaningful part of the presentation or story?

The "anti gravity box" sign on the demo video helped convince me because makes it seem like a device with a purpose and the controller just being a necessary part of that device.

What about making your own sign with something like "experimental" something and then as part of the presentation, you build up some suspense by telling them you have been working for years on creating something that can make humans weightless or float in the air but is very dangerous and you are willing to use yourself as a subject or that you are going to try it here for the first time today (or whatever words fit your style)

I really like Pete's idea on this too.

Don't know if it can be used with a spectator or not, but this would open up more possiblities for presentation.

Again, I don't know the secret but with a little money, can it be modified to get rid of the controller/cable and use a RC instead that you can hide on you?

I plan purchasing this in the next few months so hope to find more ideas about this in the future.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
My question is this:
What about the angles?
How far should the audience be,sitting or standing or both (does it matter)?
Mind you ,I like the effect and would use it to a kids show.
Box sizes should be according to your shoe-foot size.
I don't agree with putting a cardboard cloud ontop of gimmick to mask,looks tacky.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Presentation idea for Fearson's box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL