The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it too soon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
John:

Much agreed. Not only do they not care if they offend people, they don't care if they humiliate, embarass, insult, traumatise or otherwise hurt a member of their audience so long as they get enough laughs to make it feel good for them.

Perfect specimens for the solipsistic bent, until their ox is gored...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 16:33, MagicSanta wrote:
Well, if Matthew is against it I am certain I made the right choice.

Now that's hilarious...make fun of the dead and the living!
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
It's never too soon.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
This thread reminded me of the scene in "The Nutty Professor", with Eddy Murphy, specifically, the scenes involving the night club comedian, first with Murphy as Prof. Klump, and later as Buddy Love. The comedy didn't center around someone who died, of course. Just made me think of those scenes.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 22:47, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Don't confuse politeness and political correctness. Some jokes are always in bad taste, and some are only politically uncomfortable.

Very few people are convinced by someone who is crass and defends himself with "I refuse to be PC".

John

Politeness is the PC way of saying PC. It is polite to hold a door open for someone.
"Taste" is subjective, and wether or not is in bad taste should be up to who?

There is a HUGE difference between a joke and malice.

To cheer BILLY MAYS IS DEAD would be malicious but a joke about him hawking caskets funny if I find it so.

NUMS
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
Politeness is the PC way of saying PC.

No, politeness is not PC.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 12:18, Skip Way wrote:
Jack Black, Sacha Baron Cohen, Roy Chubby Brown, Bob Saget, Red Foxx, Dave Chappelle

Michael Richards...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Jay Sankey told me in a lecture he was doing that he once did a joke about Vernon and some magician in the back of the room yelled out "too soon!" It had been like 15 years since he The Professor died.

Jay said "oh whatever...his first name was DIE for cryin' out loud!!!" (Dai).

Brought the house down and shut the guy up...

Classic!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 13:19, Matthew W wrote:
Yes, I think it is too soon. You are not making fun of the person or just impersonating him, you are making fun of the fact that he is dead.

That is just not cool.

He's dead. There, I said it. Jackson is dead. Farah is dead. Contrary to what most people seem to beleive, There is nothing wrong with death. Guess what, We will all be there. I see no reason not to veiw the subject with that understanding and, God forbid, a little humor.

But that's really the problem when it comes to death, Isn't it? We all see ourselves there. We know it WILL happen to us. Seeing someone die fills us with dread because we know that we will join them someday. This makes us somber. Even frightend. Most people don't accept death as a part of life. Because they have this fear of the unknown they will tell you that speaking of it in any sort of way other than with tears in your eyes and sadness in your heart is downright tasteless.

Just let me ask this, If you knew, Absoultly knew for a fact that after they died, Billy and Michael Jackson and all the others went to a beautiful place filled with peace and happiness, Friends and loved ones, How sad do you think you would feel? How much would you mourn those people?

See... that's the problem. Everyone speaks of heaven and eternal rewards and such. But when it comes down to it most don't really, truly believe. If they did, What reason would there be to be sad when someone dies. Or frightend of death yourself.

Anyway, Besides all that you would think after thousands of years people would have gotten used to it. Its a fact. Live your life well and don't fear death. Don't dwell on it and think its lurking behind evey corner. An evil dark robed figure waiting to strike at the first chance it gets and carry you away to the great, unknown space that you keep locked inside your imagination.

Remember the meaning of life. Which is simply to live a meaningful life.

I think Billy Mays did that.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Forget about Billy, Michael, Farrah, and Walter...

Gidget is dead!
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it too soon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL