The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » When are you "really good" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I feel like I should clarify, that you should never stop trying to better yourself.

Just don't get hung up on it or let it define you.

Do your thing. Do it well.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 22:02, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
You are really good when you stop asking or caring about being good.

This is definately food for thought. Thanks for that....
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
If you stop caring about being good doesn't that mean that you stop wanting to improve?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Mike is a really nice guy ... don't let his picture fool you.

As for the comment about not caring about being good, It is a confidence thing and not a ignorance thing.

Funny thing had a similar conversation with a younger balloon artist about cocky and confident. It seems some people think I am cocky (OMG!!) however once they talk to me they find out much of what I speak of comes from experience, then it is different .... they think I am a jerk....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Entertain your audience....then you are good
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 04:06, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Mike is a really nice guy ... don't let his picture fool you.

As for the comment about not caring about being good, It is a confidence thing and not a ignorance thing.

Funny thing had a similar conversation with a younger balloon artist about cocky and confident. It seems some people think I am cocky (OMG!!) however once they talk to me they find out much of what I speak of comes from experience, then it is different .... they think I am a jerk....

FINE!!!
I changed my photo.
Am I nicer now?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
FINE!!!
I changed my photo.
Am I nicer now?

Ohhh kinda a dorky now Smile

kidding!!! Mike and I are friends .... I think?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 13:41, Ryan Price wrote:
If you stop caring about being good doesn't that mean that you stop wanting to improve?

I don't think so, personally. In my experience of being really good at things - i.e. in areas other than spelling, magic or the balloon - there is a point where you know you are better at something than almost anyone you come into contact with. You can make a decent living regardless of improving. Being good is no longer what it's all about. It becomes much more about the pleasure you get from simply practicing, and doing what you love.
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
[/quote]

- there is a point where you know you are better at something than almost anyone you come into contact with.

Knowing you are better at something than almost anyone is not always a good indicator. I know a few magicians that truly believe they are much better than anyone else, but if you took a poll from their peers,or their customers, you would find out that the opposite is true.
The best indicator of how good you are is, What do people that have seen your work say about you?
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
The best indicator of how good you are is, What do people that have seen your work say about you?

I think that is often quite a poor indicator. With juggling, balloon art, or even magic, very few people have any experience of seeing anyone else perform the art in person. You can genuinly impress people with a very basic act, if you have a decent personality. If I do a five minutes of juggling, people might tell me I am "great". It doesn't necessarily mean they are right.

I would say it puts you into the "good" category, but to get to really good you need to be better than most of the professionals you are in contact with.
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
You do have a point. I wasn't considering the fact that Joe Q. Public doesn't always know what great really is, in the art that you entertain with. They may not have seen much of it, or maybe they have seen it, but it wasn't good. I stand corrected. But I don't think that everyone is always honest about how good they really are. Some are. Maybe even most are, but there are some that cannot be the judge of their own abilities. I have seen it happen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » When are you "really good" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL