The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unintentional Exposure of Magic Secrets Through Data Aggregation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I am an Information Security Professional with over 20 years experience in Information Technology. I also happen to be an amateur magician. I wanted to share a concern I have regarding what could be our unintentional contribution to the exposure of magic secrets.

There is a principle in the information security discipline called Data Aggregation. The definition of Data Aggregation as a security risk is that unclassified information from multiple sources can be combined to reveal a piece of classified information. An oversimplified example would be if my employee number and my salary (but not my name) appeared in one database and my name and employee number (but not my salary) appeared in another database, by combining this information someone could know my salary.

For the magic community, the Internet now makes finding out a secret of a trick through data aggregation much more feasible. I have noticed that in a lot of cases, through our passion in discussing tricks we may reveal bits and pieces that by themselves do not seem to reveal something. Combine the information in several posts, a few bits and pieces from elsewhere on the Internet, a video or two from YouTube and suddenly a very good secret may be exposed. Each individual revealing their bit of information may think they are being very obtuse, but when the information is aggregated the secret can become glaringly obvious. The information revealed can be very, very subtle.

I almost posted this observation on another thread that I felt was stepping over the line and threatening to reveal a secret that would not at all be fair to the owners of the effect. I realized that doing so in and of itself would provide a piece of information that would contribute to exposure of the effect through data aggregation.

We produce better magic through sharing ideas and helping each other. But we also can threaten our art and the livelihood of magic creators if we aren’t very, very careful. We need to think about what we are saying and not only ask ourselves if something we post will reveal a secret, but also if something we post could be used in combination with other information to reveal a secret.

Comments?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
The problem with your argument is the idea that the revealing of a trick's secret will "threaten our art and the livelihood of magic creators." Many would disagree, and the Café is full of discussions around this argument. further, secrets have always been revealed through the years, and yet, magicians and creators are still here. Lastly, many argue they only people who really care about the secrets and work hard trying to find them out are magicians.

I wouldn't worry about it.

s
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Yes, I see how that statement sounds more absolute and extreme than I really intended. Is it a major threat -- no. Something to keep in mind -- yes.
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 12:57, TheRaven wrote:

Combine the information in several posts, a few bits and pieces from elsewhere on the Internet, a video or two from YouTube and suddenly a very good secret may be exposed.

True. But there is no way of knowing what other information is available to the aggregator (or how clever they may be at putting it all together).

So it seems the only options are to either risk it or to say nothing at all. The "say nothing" option might make a very boring Magic Café Smile
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I understand the TheRavens concern.

There is a thread here that asks what are your favorite gaffed tricks. Buy answering that question with a list of favorite gaffed tricks you have inadvertantly gave the secret to the gaffed tricks. I hope that was clear.

But others are right in saying that Café would be boring if we could not discuss magic effects. There would be nothing to say. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Haha! you don't need data aggregation to get magic secrets.

Just ask for the blinking secret and there will usually be scads of guys ready to let the cat out of the bag...

Magicians have some of the BIGGEST big-mouths in the world!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
We magicians are far more obsessed with the "secrets" of our craft than others and, as a result, are often overly zealous in protecting them. While the typical layman may find magic entertaining, and may even be curious about how a trick that fools him is accomplished, IMO that curiousity is fleeting at best and is soon replaced by other concerns that have far greated impact on his daily life and the "secret," if discovered/revealed, is usually quickly forgotten.

If there is anyone who one would expect to guard the secrets of magic most closely it would certainly be Jim Steinmeyer, the creator of some of contemporary magics most baffling illusions, yet his one of his best known observations is that "Magicians guard an empty safe."
Dick Christian
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Data aggregation? No one wants, or needs, to work that hard anymore!

I recently "retired" the magic coloring book from my kids show repertoire, after about 20% of my young audience told me they HAD it. I think they are selling the ***ed thing at Walmart!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
HEY! That's where I got mine!! LOL. Just kiddin'...

I see The Raven's point. He's right. My girlfriend once told me that the only one who really cares about my magic secrets is ME.

And Jim, I retired the D'Lite from mine, because I see them at the mall, in movie theaters...now I see they come in different COLORS...

Next, I.T. will be everywhere...

Doug
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
The definition of Data Aggregation as a security risk is that unclassified information from multiple sources can be combined to reveal a piece of classified information. ...

Comments?

The rule against exposure is to prevent the idle, feckless, or secret hunter getting secrets. Anyone prepared to spend the kind of effort you describe to find out information, is almost certainly a serious student of magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not necessarily. Remember the guy in Russia who decided that since David Copperfield couldn't really fly or do any other magic, he would expose all his secrets? He was a seriously messed-up religious nut.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unintentional Exposure of Magic Secrets Through Data Aggregation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL