The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tips/advise for a rising college freshman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MMAgicMan
View Profile
New user
Fairfax, VA
84 Posts

Profile of MMAgicMan
(topic)
Dalton Jones
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I suggest helium.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Well, you need a method. Helium and balloons didn't work out too well for David Blaine- so I would scratch that. lol..
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Now that we've had our laugh...

Absolutely, thjese two books: ONE and TWO (they're volumes 1 and 2) - you can get them used unbelievalbly cheap from Amazon. Packed solid with 100% written-by-students tested advice on all aspects of college.

It ain't like high school. The profs have office hours ... USE THEM! Many/most will even look over your papers in draft form and tell you how to get them much better before you actually submit them! (Is that just like cheating, or what?)
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Okay, okay.

The best piece of advice I can give you as a college senior is- manage your time wisely.

Try to party only on the weekends. Try not to join a fraternity your freshmen year. Use protection. Say "Yes" when dorm-buddies invite you to hang out, or go somewhere. Don't be one of those guys that's in their room 24/7. Watch "Yes Man" if you need some encouragement in this area.

Most importantly, learn something. Read the books, be familiar with the campus library, and the hot co-ed that checks out your books.

p.s. Limit your time surfing the internet and chatting it up on here. (it's a waste of time)
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I dunno. To me, half the point of college is learning that in life you have to figure things out for yourself. Tips are fine, I suppose, but none are so important as taking the leap of living away from your parents and immersing yourself into that wonderful world of libraries, dorms, books, and ideas.

That leap is what it's all about. Jump in. The water is fine.

BUT!

Here are a few tips.

Before I start, let me explain my bias up front. I don't think much of books written on the basis of asking college students for tips. I remain convinced that the real value of education makes itself apparent only years--sometimes, many, many years--later. Asking middle-aged people would be much better, I think.

So, my first ten tips, right off the top of my head.

1. Be respectful to others. Especially to professors. Always. Professors can, want, and should become your friends. But they are still people who have done a lot of work to become who they are, and they bask in the heart-felt flattery of acknowledging their hard work and expertise. They are not your equal. The books they have asked you to read--which will and should change your life--are books they have read dozens or even hundreds of times and for dozens of years. So avoid saying things like, "but my high school teacher said...."

2. Profs and office hours (since Ross brought it up): your professor is an intellectual adviser, not a therapist. Don't discuss your emotional/love/sexual problems with him or her. Ever. Not even if invited to do so. Don't bring milk and cookies unless you have already developed a friendship with him or her. Be sensitive to the fact that most professors don't even want to have office hours, much less spend several hours a day there. So get to the point and get out, unless invited to stay a while longer.

3. Don't cut class. But:

4. It is better to cut class than to sleep during a lecture. And:

5. It is better to cut class than to talk to others during a lecture.

6. Although 89.7% of all college students end up convinced that the whole point of college is to get drunk as often as possible and to have sex as often and with as many people as possible, being one of the other 4.9% is worth the money you and your parents are spending on college. In the end, four years of bars and prostitutes is 1,432% cheaper than four years at Harvard.

7. Take some math classes, regardless of your major. I didn't, and I'm sorry about that.

8. By all means, join a fraternity or a sorority. Then become a leader who understands the point of #6 and tries to influence the others to feel the same way.

9. Take at least one class in the humanities, regardless of your major. I did, and it changed my life.

10. Make the library your true home away from home.

I could go on all day, but I'll stop. Especially since I don't think we should give any tips anyway.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 04:39, Doug Lippert wrote:
The best piece of advice I can give you as a college senior is- manage your time wisely.

You mean: "The best piece of advice I, as a college senior, can give you...."

HA! Smile

Quote:

Try not to join a fraternity your freshmen year.

Sounds like excellent practical advice, to me.

Quote:

Read the books, be familiar with the campus library, and the hot co-ed that checks out your books.

Well said!

That's something I left out when saying you should spend lots of time at the library. It's not just for learning and research. It's also one of the most erotic places on campus, and was designed to be that way by very wise people. Seriously.

Quote:
p.s. Limit your time surfing the internet and chatting it up on here. (it's a waste of time)

There's a great scene in an episode of the original Star Trek series that was downright prophetical. From Cogley's speech in the "Court Martial" episode:

Quote:

COGLEY: What’s the matter? Don’t you like books?
KIRK: Oh, I like them fine, but a computer takes less space.
COGLEY: A computer, huh? I got one of these in my office. Contains all the precedents. The synthesis of all the great legal decisions written throughout time. I never use it.
KIRK: Why not?
COGLEY: I’ve got my own system. Books, young man, books. Thousands of them. If time wasn’t so important, I’d show you something. My library. Thousands of books.

Good stuff.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Go to the movies instead.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Or join the Coast Guard.

BTW: I left the best part out of the Star Trek quote because it took me until now to find it. Here's the whole thing again, with the most important part highlighted.

Quote:
COGLEY: What’s the matter? Don’t you like books?
KIRK: Oh, I like them fine, but a computer takes less space.
COGLEY: A computer, huh? I got one of these in my office. Contains all the precedents. The synthesis of all the great legal decisions written throughout time. I never use it.
KIRK: Why not?
COGLEY: I’ve got my own system. Books, young man, books. Thousands of them. If time wasn’t so important, I’d show you something. My library. Thousands of books.
KIRK: What's the point?
COGLEY: This is where the law is. Not in that homogenised, pasteurised synthesizer. Do you want to know the law, ancient concepts in their own language? Learn the intent of the men who wrote them? From Moses to the tribunal of Alpha III? Books...

There. Much better in the complete form.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Study.

But have fun too. Try to get all of your assignments finished before you do any fun activities, but take necessary breaks after studying for 4 or more hours.

What will be your major or field?
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
There is some excellent advice here, but I'll add my $0.02.

1. Universities and colleges have many amazing people and activities. Get to know interesting people and join interesting groups and activities. There will be music, theatre, film clubs, engineering projects, ballroom dance, juggling and God only knows what else. Do some of them!

2. You will want to go out in the evenings and on weekends. You will have homework. This is a difficult conflict unless you manage your time wisely. Do your homework during the daylight hours whenever possible; this will free up some evenings.

3. Begin your assignments as soon as they are given. Thought requires time and revision. You will do a better job over a couple weeks than you could possibly do in a couple of nights.

4. Many students brag about "all-nighters". It may be a rite of passage but it's lousy work. If you study regularly you will have no need to cram. If you follow the advice in #3 you will not need to write all night. You need rest before an exam far more than you need a few extra facts.

5. More than anything, remember that learning is more important than grades. When you write a paper, take a risk and do something difficult. Your professor will reward you for the thought and analysis in a difficult paper and you will be rewarded by gaining something you could never get by playing it safe.

Enjoy!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MMAgicMan
View Profile
New user
Fairfax, VA
84 Posts

Profile of MMAgicMan
Thanks for the advice everybody.

Quote:
On 2009-08-04 07:25, TomKMagic wrote:
Study.

Business at Wake Forest University
Dalton Jones
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 05:03, stoneunhinged wrote:
I don't think much of books written on the basis of asking college students for tips. I remain convinced that the real value of education makes itself apparent only years--sometimes, many, many years--later. Asking middle-aged people would be much better, I think.

How about both? Buy the books, you won't regret it.

Another tip (from those books) that I wish I'd known:

Do the homework for any day's class meeting before the class meets. You'll have to re-do it (or revise it), but you will have a very firm idea of the class material while others are hearing it for the first time.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe the Amazon reviews don't give the right impression. I understood BOTH books to be advice from college kids about college. Is that not the case?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Advice for any literature classes you may have- attend the class and take lecture notes. This is even more important than actually doing the reading. I actually went through a class or two where I didn't crack open some of the novels (though I don't recommend it.) The trick is knowing what themes the professor discussed and a few key passages relating to them.

Also, Mountain Dew and peanut M&M's are your two greatest assets the night before a paper is due.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Stay away from pot

experience everything (else)
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 12:38, MMAgicMan wrote:
Thanks for the advice everybody.

Quote:
On 2009-08-04 07:25, TomKMagic wrote:
Study.

Business at Wake Forest University

Ahh... ok, maybe you won't need to study very much.

LOL. Well at least listen to the advice of the other guys, and best of luck.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Don't think you are smarter than those older than you and don't believe that you and your cohorts are going to 'change the world' and are the 'leaders of tomorrow'. There has never been a lack of leaders and clearly someone born in the year you were will be a CEO or political leader at some point in time and so will those born ten years after you and those yet to be born. Listen, study, and try to enjoy your college experience. My nephew just finished his first year and I'm afraid he took part in nothing of the college experience, he went to school and worked, sure he was top of his class but he never saw a sporting event or went to any functions. The main thing to remember is that college and the military exist to keep people your age from bothering the rest of us.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
All of the above AND get a part time job (that works with your class schedule) so as not to over borrow from your folks! Even with one son doing it on the GI Bill and the other finding time to work (while maintaining a 3.85 GPA and carrying 18 units) my boys seem to cost me more now that all the years they lived in my house! Smile (WORTH EVERY DIME to be honest)!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tips/advise for a rising college freshman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL