The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neat & Easy Way to Filter Spam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
If you are annoyed by tons of spam, here a filtering tip:

If you have the ability to use filters in your email program send all email with <HTML> in the body to a Review Directory. (You don't want to lose all, just yet) Review what in in that Review Directory for a month. If you find something you want to keep then put a filter for just that email.

After reviewing about 5,000 spam emails, I found two that I wanted filtered, the rest was deleted. This is a relief from all the spam I got. If you notice most of that spam looks like a web page, well your fiends don't send you web pages, just text notes. Those web pages start or have in the very beginning <html><body> tags. This easy to use method is better than the spam programs I got!

Now all files with <HTML> are deleted automatically, What a relief! Now I still get spam email but it is managable... 30 instead of 500 a day

Try it and let the rest of us know how it worked on your system.
Dennis Michael
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I don't get spam....Smile

Because, I look after my email address and I don't sign up for anything.. If I do, I use a total different email address.

Matt
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
DenDowhy,

That is a great solution to block at least some SPAM! Thanks for sharing the idea.

Another useful tip is to modify your e-mail address when you list it on your web page. Then automatic page scanners that harvest e-mail addresses cannot use your listed address. It is common practice for people to list their e-mail address on the Internet as follows:

Send e-mail to Bill_Hallahanxyz@mail.com (Remove the xyz from the listed e-mail address to send me e-mail)

This doesn’t eliminate all SPAM, but it helps.

Moffmo,

Your solution of protecting your primary e-mail address is also the one I use to avoid SPAM. But that won’t work for everyone. You have to make your e-mail address public if you want prospective clients to be able to reach you.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Unfortunately, when you own 20 domain names anything sent to that domain such as ??@mydomain.com I get, so blocking by name change doesn't work. However, I do filter exact email addresses such as sales@magic-magic.com. This helps.
Dennis Michael
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I have found, and use, a filtering program which is VERY effective and easy to use. It is free and open source for those of you who care of such things. Find it and about it here

Another helpful tip is as mentioned by Moffmo; use an alternate address for sites you request info from. I use onlinestuff@(myprovider).com

Two more tips:
1) Don't EVER unsubscribe to spam (you are only verifying your address!)
2) For sites that require an email for passage to more information, try using a fake.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I have filtered my e-mail address by only allowing the people on my buddy lsit to e-mail me. The website takes a look at the e-mail address and then in my address book to see if it is allowed. If you ever want to send me an e-mail, PM me first with your e-mail address.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Good tip there Den,
Just be aware that a lot of businesses these days are using html in thier emails for various reasons. Still, sending all emails with html in them to a different directory for a month or so is a great idea!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
You definitely need at least 2 e-mail addresses. The secondary one is for use where people can find it posted somewhere and spam you. The trouble is that there usually is some legitimate e-mails coming to it but you need only check it occassionally and then massively delete the spam.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
But if you keep deleting spam how else will you find out the latest ways to increase your size and lose weight!?
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Or win a prize or a trip, or meet Russian ladies wanting to get married or meet interesting woman and so on.
Dennis Michael
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Hi Dennis,

Can you explain exactly how to filter the HTML emails. I use outlook 2000 and I was not able to figure out how to do it. I tried using the rules wizard to check for HTML, but that didn't work. As usual, "help" wasn't any help. Thanks.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I use enduro and I also use one supplied from my ISP

I don't use outlook.
Dennis Michael
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
As an extra benefit to not using Outlook is that most viruses that replicate themselves and send themselves to friends work only in Outlook. By switching to Eudora or another mail reader, you avoid almost all viruses.
rseward
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of rseward
If you use Outlook you may want to check out Spamnet at the following URL:

http://www.cloudmark.com/

This program works with Outlook and will block about 95% of the spam emails you receive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neat & Easy Way to Filter Spam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL