The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help for an opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 14:51, Pete Biro wrote:
No offense, but there should be THEIR in the case above. That and LOSE instead of LOOSE are two words that drive me nutz when used wrong... Smile

Agreed. It drives me crazy when someone uses 'to' in the place of 'too' as well.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
GTRICH
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of GTRICH
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 19:53, Pete Biro wrote:
Walk up to table and TAKE one of their fries saying, "I'm the fry inspector." Toss it into your mouth and say, "That one was OK."

This is a perfect setup for a vanishing act where your assistants are the bouncers!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 16:08, jmccormack4 wrote:
I am having trouble finding an opener for my set.

Why are you having trouble? What have you explored so far in trying to find an opener for your set? Is this the set you'll be doing as you approach a group for the first time?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Just say something to make them laugh.
I usually make a positive judgement statement about the group I am approaching, and this always gets a laugh.
I have a zippo palmed, or thumb palmed and a coin held at the fingertips. I do a kind of bobo switch, in essence turning the coin into a zippo. Even though palming a zippo is awkward, they haven't started "burning" your hands so they do not notice anything unusual. This production gets their attention, and they also will begin paying attention. At this point I light a tiny piece of flash paper to produce the coin.

I think that it takes 20 to 30 seconds for people to be comfortable enough to want to select a card or write their name on a card. Though it is possible to do it sooner if you come across as likeable and are able to chat with them like old buddies from the onset.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
When I do walk around, I open with Jay Sankey's "Holey Moley" or a 4 coin production that leads into a coins across routine. Bob Solari's "Beetoven's Suprise" is also a good opener with the production of a full size miniture baby grand piano
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I just remembered the PERFECT Opener... Check out Johnny Ace Palmer's lecture notes and video - he has a little routine calls the "perfect opener", and it is. I"m sure it could be adapted to any restaurant setting - In his video, it's the coke bottle production. Check out his excellent video that's been re-released on DVD it's a gem!

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=5629
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Color changing knives is a good opener. I do Michael Skinners routine with some Whit Haden moves thrown in.
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I'm certainly not as experienced as other people here, but I agree with Mediocre about starting with coins. It's something familiar to the spectators, and it will allow you to get a feel for the table before you get audience interaction, and they get a feel for you. I don't own the effect (yet), but if you're allowed to use fire, Pyris by Nicholas Lepage could be a great opener, and I've not heard anything bad about it. Plus it's a great lead in to a coin routine.
Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I'm certainly not as experienced as other people here, but I agree with Mediocre about starting with coins. It's something familiar to the spectators, and it will allow you to get a feel for the table before you get a lot of audience interaction, and they get a feel for you. I don't own the effect (yet), but if you're allowed to use fire, Pyris by Nicholas Lepage could be a great opener, and I've not heard anything bad about it. Plus it's a great lead in to a coin routine.
Anyway, there's my 2 cents.

EDIT: Oops, sorry about the double post, guys.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
Thank you to everyone for all the useful tips you taught me! :]
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I agree with the color changing knives, I approach the table and ask for fashion advice and say "should the knife match the shirt or contrast" each time changing the knife and the going into the routine.

Gil Scott
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
When music is TOO loud open with an Invisible Deck is good. Handling the invisible cards to someone to shuffle and all that stuff looks well. I need to mention this is for Strolling in where the music is very loud!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Because you're in a restaurant, you should consider Zander's Precious Metal. This is a funny and amazing bit about bending a spoon. Great topic for restaurant. You present a large spoon in your hands, and do some funny business about making it bend, blah, blah, blah. What you try to make look like bending the spoon, is just the spoon swiveling in your hand. But to the audiences surprise, the spoon has now changed into a fork! Wham! Immediately let them see the fork. Ungimmicked.

I've used this as an opener before, and it always get a good reaction. Total time from start to finish - 30 seconds. I like to poke fun at the "Uri Gellars" of the world when I do this, because the bending part is a complete spoof.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help for an opener? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL