The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis=Real? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastermagician91
View Profile
New user
USA-CT
39 Posts

Profile of mastermagician91
I've just seen hypnosis and I'm a bit scared..lol. Is this real or an act, because I don't get how someone can mess up someone's mind like that?
"Magic is not always magic...but the impossible is always possible" - Ricky Booska
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
An awful lot has been written on hypnotism. You could even find a lot by doing an internet search. You'll just have to research this yourself and make up your own mind.

I remember seeing a stage hypnotist about 17 years ago at the University of Illnois Student Union. He had been college entertainer of the year and was very good. When he suggested to one subject that it was getting very hot in the room, I saw the subject's skin redden and become covered with perspiration. That's when I first thought, "hey, maybe there really was something to this hypnotism stuff."
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Although there are claims that hypnosis doesn't exist, in my experience it is very real. The majority (more than half) of subjects on stage on my shows have complete amnesia for what went on before on a two hour program.

That isn't down social compliance as suggested by some.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I would suggest anyone seriouly interested in this read "They Call It Hypnosis" by Robert Baker...from Prometheus books... The thing is...we can't really say it isn't social compliance because we can't REALLY read the "subjects" mind and know if he is actually "playing along with a good thing" or really telling the truth!

And contrary to popular belief, lay persons can be quite skilled at convincing others, including professionals that they were "really under and can't remember a thing!" Interesting quandry, don't you think?

Either way, it is GREAT entertainment!
adam_wolfe
View Profile
New user
england
20 Posts

Profile of adam_wolfe
In my opinion hypnosis is very real.
I would suggest reading dr bernhiem's
"A Treatise on Suggestive Theraputics."
It's an excellent book in which you will find everything you need regarding hypnosis.
After a couple of weeks studying this book I was able to hypnotise my girlfriend.
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
To those who doubt...
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Read everything you can find on the subject and then come to your own conclusions.

The topic of hypnosis can be very subjective. Some people say there is no such thing as hypnosis, while others say everything is hypnosis.

Take it easy,

Socrates

'Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens' -Jimi Hendrix Smile
mastermagician91
View Profile
New user
USA-CT
39 Posts

Profile of mastermagician91
Thanks everybody. Any suggestions on specific books and stuff that teach it?:-)
"Magic is not always magic...but the impossible is always possible" - Ricky Booska
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Loads of books that teach it.

One you will definitely like though is Monsters and Magic Sticks (Theres no such thing as hypnosis) by Steven Heller. You can get it on Amazon.

Howard
adam_wolfe
View Profile
New user
england
20 Posts

Profile of adam_wolfe
The Science of Hypnosis.
But I forget who it's by. I will get back to you with a list of good hypnosis books when I get home.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Having been on both ends of many hypnosis sessions, I can tell you it's very real, to me anyway.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Adam Wolfe.

Science of Hypnosis by Alexander Cannon.

It is available to read on-line, with a few others. Best site on the web for information on hypnosis.

http://www.hypno1.co.uk

Howard
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I was on stage with a hypnotist twice.....it was all an act for me. Maybe because the audience was a little loud. I was SOOOOOO relaxed until the audience started to talk. During hypnotism does the hypnotee(lol) know what they are doing, but do it anyway even if it is embarassing? Twice I danced in front of an audience, and to tell you the truth I would never do that just for the fun of it in front of hundreds of people!!! By the way, I'm not a very good dancer either lol. Anyway I believe in hypnotism, but like hypnotists say, some people just can't be hypnotised. Smile Smile (those are me dancing lol)
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
I've been hypnotised twice. I say it's real. I too, could remember everything I did, and I also knew what I was doing at the time. I just didn't care. You are so relaxed, that you simply don't care. If anyone from Canada has heard of Anthony Cools, you can't say it's not real, when you see people do the stuff he makes them do. He's sort of the 'x-rated' hypnotist (it's hilarious, but maybe a little offensive for the light-hearted). BTW, I never got hypnotised by him!
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
There will always be argument about the reality of hypnosis. There's so many myths it isn't funny. The myths about how a person is "supposed" to feel and behave are downright funny to us practicing the art.

Truth be told, only a very very light induction is needed to put on a hilarious hypnosis show.

A good hypnotist *will not* bother trying to prove anything to his/her audience. Frankly, most skeptics will disbelieve no matter how hard you try, so it's a waste of energy, IMHO.

The facts are that hypnosis is very safe, you don't "lose" your mind at any time (in fact, you become much more creative) and you most certainly can't get stuck in trance.

I, myself, have had doubts over the years about the legitimacy of it, only to come time-and-time again to the belief that it's real.

"Hypnotism is like electricity. Both exist, whether you believe in them or not".

Blair

New Videos Reveal Rapid Stage Hypnosis Inductions:www.Mental-List.com/masterhypnosis.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis=Real? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL