The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Running cut controls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Is there a source out there that teaches running cut control, such as a card is controlled to the top of the deck after a running cut, then a shuffle; or to the bottom, or second from the top and second from the bottom. If it is a slug control rather than 1 card, that is even better.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Forte's tapes has some. I know of at least one that controls the top stock through a riffle and running cut, and the same (outward) sequence to control a bottom stock. As far as learning them, though... A slow-motion feature on a DVD player, lots of time and a pack of cards or two.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
You might want to try Richard turners dvd the science of shuffling and stacking(something like that). If your beginning the Forte dvd's might be a tad much,imo. On the other hand you will eventually want the Forte goods.

C to the T
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Are you talking about retaining a top or bottom stock during running cuts and riffle shuffles?

If so, this is pretty standard fare. You'll find good techniques in many places, including The Expert At The Card Table by S. W. Erdnase and Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue.

Andru
choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Sorry, I didn't make clear of myself. What I was trying to say was if you start out with a card or a group of cards on the top, and after a running cut and a shuffle, you can retain it on the top, second to the top, bottom, second to the bottom. I don't know if that make any sense, I can retain it on the top; the other I just get it sometimes by luck.
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 23:06, luvisi wrote:
Are you talking about retaining a top or bottom stock during running cuts and riffle shuffles?

If so, this is pretty standard fare. You'll find good techniques in many places, including The Expert At The Card Table by S. W. Erdnase and Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue.

Andru
onbekende020
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
89 Posts

Profile of onbekende020
Fast Company has a couple of nice ones, don't like the handeling though...

I see them as concepts and use my own flow/way of doing the moves, as should be done wit all the moves...

Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
Choobysoo, so you the top two and the bottom two cards retained in a strip and a riffle both on the table, yes?
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 04:09, onbekende020 wrote:
Fast Company has a couple of nice ones, don't like the handeling though...

I see them as concepts and use my own flow/way of doing the moves, as should be done wit all the moves...

Yes, I usually just learn the concepts and I put them in my own way of handling the cards.

Quote:
On 2009-08-19 05:58, Xaethia wrote:
Choobysoo, so you the top two and the bottom two cards retained in a strip and a riffle both on the table, yes?

No Xaethia, You start out with a card on top of the deck, and then you do a running cut, and then square the deck, and then upper cut the deck into a shuffle position, shuffle the cards, and you can retain that card on the top, or second to the top, or on the bottom, or second to the bottom. I hope that makes more sense.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
If you start with the card on top, you won't ever retain that card second from top, or bottom, or second to bottom. Retaining means to make it stay where it is. What you want to say is that you want to start with the card on top, and either retain it or move it 2nd to top, to the bottom, or 2nd from bottom.

Honestly it would seem to me to be incredibly simple. Top and bottom stock controls are all over the place. Stacking one card on top of another is not a difficult or exotic feat. I guess the only way to help you even further along would be to break down a control step by step for you, but that's a bit much. Go and watch some videos, read some books.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
George Joseph's Cheating at Poker DVD teaches a nice false running cut, which retains the top section. I use it quite a bit myself
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have little something I could show you I will try and film it this weekend.

By the way I seem to have lost my link to Silvers site has anyone got the name of it. I thought it was called Gaffs and Gimmicks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 21:29, tommy wrote:
I have little something I could show you I will try and film it this weekend.

By the way I seem to have lost my link to Silvers site has anyone got the name of it. I thought it was called Gaffs and Gimmicks.

I would love to see it Tommy,:)
awimagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of awimagic
Tommy I am a fan of ur posts and have always wanted to see you work ... make it true please Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool I have always wanted a fan. Smile

For the sake explanation of this little Run Cut Control thing I was thinking of here is a practice thing you could try if you like. It might sound a bit complex but the cutting part at least is pretty simple in practice.
Lets say we have four Kings on top and four Aces at the bottom of the deck to start with. With this run cut control you can bring them Aces to the top sending the Kings to the middle and then cut to the Kings, so that the Kings are then on top of the left hand packet and the Aces are on top of the right hand packet. You could then, if you so wished, riffle stack them K A K A K A K A:

Raise the whole deck with the right hand, and with the left, draw off the upper portion between the thumb and second finger dropping it onto the table and the size of this portion with the king stock on top just drawn should be deeper than normal, being about half the deck.

Continue by drawing a normal size small packet dropping this onto the Kings but jogged over to the right a little.

Continue to draw small packets dropping them onto the others, and as you exhaust the deck by this try to draw ever smaller packets and that will brings the Aces to the top in the end.

At this point the state of play is the deck is on the table with the Aces now on top with the Kings in the middle of the deck and the Kings have a right jogged packet on top of them.

Square up but in doing so knock that jogged packet inwards at right outer corner and that the jog will come out at the back left inner corner. It’s a diagonal jog Stevens control thing. Cut at that jog taking the top packet to the left and you have the Aces on top of that left packet and the Kings on top of the right packet.

So you could at this point riffle stack them giving K A K A K A K A.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Running cut controls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL