The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Snap Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Any magician should be able to do a cut and restored (CR) rope effect or two, and books are filled with intriguing ways of pretending to cut the rope. My eBook NeckLacy uses four different CR in the same routine. I have also focused on how to show the ends apparently separate after the cut, as have others like Magic Ian and Kotah in their wonderful DVD’s. I have a new eBook coming out that features such Masking methods, but …

I now realize I have been asking the wrong questions! Consider how a lay person would cut a piece of rope in half – assuming he would ever do such a thing. Usually he just cuts off the length he needs and ‘middle’ has nothing to do with it. He might gather both free ends into one hand so that the center is apparent in a dangling loop. Then he would proceed in one of two ways:

1. grab the center and lift it to the other hand while DROPPING the two free ends,

2. just reach down and cut the rope in the center.

He would never draw up the loop to be placed next to the free ends. Only magicians do that, and in the doing announce that some trickery is afoot. Once you have alerted the audience that something ‘skillful’ is about to happen, some of the magic ebbs away. Most CR effects area a demonstration of skill that leave little room for magic as the preferred explanation. Then we make it worse by tying the ends back together when any sensible person would not have cut it in two if he wished a single piece of rope. It becomes a puzzle to see how cleverly we can do what the audience now expects – which may be entertaining, but hardly magical.

So, if I wanted to be more magical I would want an effect where I would:

1. hold the two free ends in one hand while I cut the extended loop,

2. grab a cut end and snap the rope away like cracking a whip, leaving both hands empty and the rope restored,

3. the rope could be now used in other effects.

right – no loops to cut, not weird moves and no knots. Impossible?

I will send the method to anyone FREE who will commit to actually do it in public and give me feedback. Then I might publish it – but only because some feel an idea has no value unless they pay for it.

Just refer to FunSway “Snap Rope” to the addy below.

give a day to write it up though – I just figured it out.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Some very interesting thoughts concerning the C&RR. Excellent in fact. Doing things in a natural and logical manner, makes the illusion even stronger. Your Snap rope sounds incredible. If not for physical limitationS, I would take you up on your offer in a heart beat. One should never pass up an opportunity to learn something new.

Thank you FunSway

Ron
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
While I have never had anyone question my method for cutting and restoring a rope I'd be willing to look into your new method and give it a try.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
So when are you going to put some videos up of you doing your rope moves?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
FunSway, I have PM'd you and e mailed you as well with a few thoughts and variations on your take.

I Think you will find the last one interesting. Very basic, sans any gimmicks and you're left clean

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Snap Rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL