The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Bill Abbott's "Smart Ass" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

Profile of Russell Scoggin
I've read a number of people's posts about Bill Abbott's "Smart Ass" as one of their tricks in their shows. I've heard a number of good things about the effect. I'm thinking about purchasing it in the near future for a new trick in my shows. The one thing I'm concerned about (because of the name) is if it can be done at churches or family venues without offending people. I mean, I would like to have a new jumbo card effect that can be performed for any type of adult audience.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you start the trick off by saying, "I am now going to perform Bill Abbott's Smart Ass," someone might take offense. However, if you do the trick and do not discuss the intelligence quotient of anyone's posterior, you can probably do it anywhere.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

LOL! OK, that's good to know Spellbinder. Thanks! I figured it probably could be played for any type of adult audience, but just wasn't really sure.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
You should know that it's not really a jumbo card trick per se. It uses one jumbo card the prediction that is being sat upon. But the card is selecting by using a poker size deck. The spectator eliminates cards by tossing them over his shoulder, etc. until it gets down to a small packet that he picks from.

That said, this effect is still suited for stage/parlor because the tossing of the cards makes it visual enough. Just know that when the spectator does finally select the card and shows it to the audience, it will be a standard card, so it might be hard to see in back.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

Oh OK, For some reason I was thinking it was more of a stage trick. Sounds like it would be good in parlor type settings though. Thanks Bob!
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I use Bill's Smart Ass routine in my close-up set and have had nothing but a great response with it.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 16:40, Russell Scoggin wrote:
Oh OK, For some reason I was thinking it was more of a stage trick. Sounds like it would be good in parlor type settings though. Thanks Bob!

The DVD shows performances on a stage (albeit with no audience). As I said, I think the tossing of the cards makes it visual enough to be a stage effect. It's just not performed using jumbo cards (except for the prediction card being sat upon).
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
jimmy8494
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of jimmy8494
I had a great response with the celebrity version. Unless you're strictly performing a card based act, the celebrity edition, in my opinion, is far superior due to the involvement with the crowd and relevance to everyday life. Here's a video of my performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYsG6v1a9rU
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
I use Bill's 5 Card Opener as a lead-in to Smart Ass. Used together they get a great response.

Hope this helps.
robholland
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of robholland
Bill Abbott's products are great!
Tamariz
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Tamariz
Quote:
On 2012-02-29 13:37, robholland wrote:
Bill Abbott's products are great!

I just purchased his Spots DVD and it's very thorough.
blackmagicguy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of blackmagicguy
I have purchased several of Bill Abbott's effects and I have never been disappointed! I recommend it, use it and have never in my performance of the effect used the the title Smart Ass ... Not necessary!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The DVD that comes with the celebrity version includes a performance done in a church.
Torque75
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Torque75
I've used it in my show and it was well recieved.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have used it in churches, even changed it to have a faith based message. works great. Just because someone else calls it smartass, doesn't mean I have to call it that. Of course I had to switch out the packaging. Fantastic trick, make the routine whatever you want.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
I have used Smartass in very different situations and the responses are always great! I usually dress up the number with a lot of cabaret depending on the venue I'm working in....but never had problems even in churches or big audiences....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Bill Abbott's "Smart Ass" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL