The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How is this for a routine? WHOO!!!!!!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
I been working on a few tricks, being honest I still play around and watch a lot more tricks but my main focus of pratice and reading/dvd viewing are on the following tricks.
I can do them, some better than others. I can do them to a standard of pulling them off but not 100% confident.
So I want to spend months and months until I master them.
THis is what my routine will be when I finally come to perform, let me know what you think of it-

MS 3 Card monte (Bill Malones version)
Red Hot Mamma (Gotta get some good patter for this, atm I have none I also want to get a better card force style tbh).
Dr Daleys last Trick (I think that's right name, off Bill Malones dvd)
Anversary Walts (Doc Euson, again I want some better patter as I use this on non-couples at times)
Ambitous card routine x 4 (I rises to the top 4 times diffrent ways with the whole pack vanishing at the end - yet to get good at that. Bill Malone version basicly).

that's it for now, was thinking of adding Doc Euson's 'All Screwed Up', but not sure yet. I have also shell hopping half coins but I think in my opinion it's a cheap and tacky trick.

As you can tell I am big fan already of B.Malone and D.Euson, only have 1 dvd each of theirs and not seen or read about other magicians yet. But being new and trying to learn much as it stands I feel B.Malone and D.Euson are marvaloues!

So, is my routine ok for a start?
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Hello Waz

All good tricks. As a cardician, that's a start. As far as routining is concerned - that's another story. Before you can routine any kind of complete show, you need to be aware of your venue, your likely audience (big difference between a bar and corporate dinner party), the length, the theme (although not altogether necessary), and the then the patter you'll need after you know these things that will sell the effect, or at least the entertainment. Theres more stuff, but I can't remember them all.

Its a personal thing. You've got some great tricks there. What do you want to do with them? Use them as a vehicle to allow YOU to entertain? Or use them as a vehicle to let the magic entertain? Both? More of one than the other? These are all questions that go into putting together a routine.

Maybe you just want to put together a show for your family. Great. Play it up, have fun, "be the life of the party". Or do you prefer a more serious presentation?

As I said, good tricks. All the luck in putting a routine together. I'll be very interested to see a performance.

Good Luck
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
WazMeister,

I'm also a Malone fan. Be sure to get the rest of his "On The Loose" dvds... a lot of great magic there. My favorite is his "End of Story" (Gemini Twins) on Vol. 2. Unless you plan to do nothing but card magic, you should probably add a few bill, coin, rope, rubber band stuff, etc., just for variety. If you want a good source for general magic, I recommend Mark Wilson's Video Course in Magic (4 Vol.)

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
[You've got some great tricks there. What do you want to do with them? Use them as a vehicle to allow YOU to entertain? Or use them as a vehicle to let the magic entertain? Both? More of one than the other? These are all questions that go into putting together a routine.
[/quote]

Well said - one of the most important questions to ask before even buying/researching/practicing/performing a trick...WHY.
torontomike
View Profile
New user
Toronto
9 Posts

Profile of torontomike
MS 3 Card Monte is a great effect to use in your routine, but have you thought of throwing some variety in there? You have all card magic, people may get bored if they don't care for cards. Try putting some coin things in there, maybe sponge balls, magic with borrowed objects, etc. Mix and match with the card effects until you get a routine that flows and builds well. You want each effect to flow into the next, not just "and for my next trick...".

- TM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How is this for a routine? WHOO!!!!!!!!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL