The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Medieval theme party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
Ive been hired for a medievil themed party does any one know of any effects that would suit this sort of event I have deas but I am open to sugestions.

also do I dress up as an old medevil magician it's not a requirement of my booking and not all the guests well be in fancy dress it would be nice to add that little extra but then I'm going to struggle on pocket management as fas as I can tell medevil magicians where nothing more than a robe any help from you all at the Café is much appreciated

thanks in advance
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Go as a CIA agent Smile.

But seriosuly though, if you want to try to be as 'authentic" as possible, I would probably stay away from cards and sponge balls. Coins could work well, but thinking back to some medival/magic movies, I would say levitations and animations are probably your best bet, with changes and certain penetrations being next. You might even want to make a home-made ragged-looking change bag, and perhaps claiming that it once held a very powerful magic dust, now giving it special properties.

Just some stuff to think about.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
For card stuff, how about using a tarot style / vintage style deck? Rope tricks, ring & string, goblets - sorry cups and balls, coin stuff (aged or fake coins). I guess a lot will depend on what you perform already, plus it would be more important to entertain rather than be 100% authentic (all just my opinion of course).
As for pocket management, it is hard to say without seeing any costume. Perhaps a waist coat / holster underneath?

Whatever you do, have fun, and good luck!
Charlie
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Pouches and bags are a period way of carrying your magic stuff. It is less about the magic and more about the props. Stay away from anything plastic or synthetic. Wood, metal, cotton stuff that would have been made back then. As far as costume, ask the host of the party what they would like. If you need any local help, see if you have a local SCA (society of creative anacronisims (SP?). They have all the stuff you might need and are very friendly and willing to share.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I will echo the sentiments of the others!

Try using one of those 1800's decks. They could be from 800, who's to say!

Try using any close-up, walkaround mentalism using paper that has been in a tea bath that looks aged.

I can think of some great effects that you can do using a Frixion Pen.

I did a couple of wedding receptions dressed as Merlin The Wizard and borrowed my wifes old purse which actually matched my blue costume perfectly. I filled the bag with all kinds of magic.

Ninja Rings are great, since the Linking Rings were invented back then, as well as a tableside version of cups and balls. Use a realistic looking magic wand.

Hope it helps!

S. Patrick
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
You could do something with tarot cards ala Darwin Ortiz. There are many effects out there.
I've seen Burger use tarot cards to do his version of card warp called the Inquisition.

There's also Gypsy Thread(see Burgers version)

Diamond Jim has a spellbound routine using gem stones

You could also use a tarot deck to do McBride's Kundlini Rising

how about an alchemy routine with coins.

Many effects can be adapted to this period.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tonyj
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of tonyj
Spirit\Haunted Key

If you can only get the modern looking key and have time, pickle it in vinegar for a couple of days and plant it in the garden for a few more days to rust, and it will look the part.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
If you barrow it it is good. And if you are dressed like some one from back then why would your props look old and rusty? Unless you are going as a 500 year old zombie who has come back from the dead to do walk around magic.

cards are period but cards of the time don't handle well, and are hard to read.(no indexes ) force a small card on a lay person and watch them count! Smile

Tarot was a game before people tried to see the future with them, but most lay person will still have a hard time keeping up with what card is what.

If the person dose not need you in garb it would probably be easier to not do it. go as you would go normally, then you won't have problems with pockets, you can get some old looking props, coins and the like and claim them to be old.

You can get real coins from the time for not that much, and fakes are fairly cheep.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since I have 26 years of performing at Renaissance festivals, plus several more years of period work after I left the circuit, I think I am probably fairly well qualified to tell you what will and won't work.

A simple tunic, vest and tights is the easiest costume to put together. Wear a pouch on a belt. Medieval (note spelling) clothing did not have pockets. Do not try to use pantyhose in place of tights. Tights are opaque. Pantyhose are not. No sense showing all the other guys at the party up, right! If you are put off by tights, have some trousers made with no pockets. Or wear a sash that covers your pockets. You will need fairly high-waisted trousers to cover the pockets with your sash.

Check with your local Society for Creative Anachronism, as montimagi suggested. They may be able to help you out. You might even want to join the group.

Get a pack of the Heirloom cards from Cardshark http://www.card-shark.de. They aren't cheap, but they look right. Get the anglo-american faces. They are much better than any of the other "early" cards, because they feel right.

Download a copy of Hocus Pocus Junior. You can find it at Lybrary.com. The tricks magicians did back then are in there. You can still do your favorite card tricks if you want to.

Pokie-Poke is right about borrowing objects. If you borrow a coin or a bill from an attendee, it's okay to work with it.

You will not be under the same restraints as performers at legit medieval festivals and Renfaires, most likely.

Rope tricks are good. If you know "Cords of Fantasia," that's perfect.

Also, there is no need to "age" your props artificially. Those items were new when they were made during the medieval times. They wouldn't look 500 years old until they had actually gotten to be 500 years old.

Remember knights in shining armor, not knights in corroded armor.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
"Remember knights in shining armor, not knights in corroded armor."

He He He You haven't seen my armor, then again I'm not a knight. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
If it's going to be a one time gig it's not going to be worth your time trouble and money to alter your performance nor routines. But if you're willing to go that extra mile for the customer most of the above advice is worth listening to.

For the costume I'd go with a White Renaissance Style Shirt http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com/EarlyRenShirt.html

A Vest
http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com......_292.jpg

Dark Trousers and high boots
http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com/HeroBoot.html

So all ready your over $200.00 just for your duds.

As for tricks, Linking Rings, Egg Bag, Rope Tricks, Coin Tricks http://www.deadmentellnotales.com/cgi-bi......rds=XTCR
Cards (use these http://shop.wisconsinhistory.org/product......gory=30) and Handkerchief tricks are all good to start off with. However you'll be doing all new material so it's likely to be rough around the edges, especially if you're going to attempt period style patter to go along with the tricks..

Here's a couple of videos of me performing some simple periodized tricks to give you some idea of things you might be able to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWImtgLU2......nel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3UYEPFe......se_watch
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Drake
View Profile
New user
I feel bad having only
59 Posts

Profile of Drake
Pokie-Poke,

I have to ask are you SCAdian, the garb in your profile pic just screams been there done that have the Pennsic XXX T-shirt

Sorry for the OT but had to ask

~Drake
your friendly local Atlantian
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Yup, a "vet" of 17 pennsic wars.
We can continue in pm or start a new thread in the proper room.
Your first post to a magic forum was about garb! Smile
welcome to the Café Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Magicshayne, how did it go?
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Medieval theme party (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL