The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » I dreamt of Suzy Wandas last night (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lucy Smalley
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lucy Smalley
First, a little background of me, since this is my first post. I was a professional female manipulator and magician in the 80's. I graduated the Chavez course taught by Neil Foster, was the first woman to win Abbott's magic contest, and continued performing until 1992 or so, and then left magic for other interests.

It was at an Abbott's magic convention that I first met Suzy Wandas. Of course I was drawn to her for the obvious reasons. She called me over and congratulated me on my manipulation technique. I was intimidated. We became friends. I got to know her over the last four years or so of her life. She was no longer performing, as arthritis had set in, but we would have long talks.

She spoke seven languages, and sometimes her english was difficult to understand. She spoke of performing with her mother on the vaudeville stages, her brother who was poisoned by mustard gas during WWI. She offered me her byline "The Lady with the Fairy Fingers". She lived alone in a modest home as Zina had died several years earlier. She lived her life well, traveling the world. She had few friends, one good woman named Peg who really looked after her best interest.

So I dreamt of her last night quite vividly, we were at a family gathering, as she often came to mine on Holidays. I just wanted to honor her memory, and hope she continues to live in magic history. She was a lovely woman, much admired.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Hi Lucy! There were several of us talking about you at the shop during magic week a few weeks back - Dave Schwaning and others wondered what happened to you and where you have been?
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Lucy,
Nice to hear from you. I spoke with Gordon Miller a couple of years ago what had happened to you.
I have an 11 x14 of you working I would like to get signed.

I like you never got to Suzy perform. But I remember Karrell introducing her to the audience and you could just tell that her was performer. She still had that charm and twinkle in her eyes. Reminds me of Bill Baird and Channing Pollock in the same way. The lady that helped Suzy was Peg Weikel (sp). Peg still comes to Abbott's every year and faithfully records all the contestants in the contests.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Lucy Smalley
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lucy Smalley
Well, I am a bit surprised that ya'll remember me. Of course I have seen the video, but it has been twenty something years, so that was a treat. If memory serves me I believe I was there when Todd was filming the interview. I remember that we asked Suzy about the black bands on her wrists, and she said it was just to bring attention to her hands, that was all. I did not want to post Peg's last name on an internet forum without her permission. But since this does seem to be a safe forum, I have lost touch with all my magic friends. Some of the friends I knew....

Steve Weikal
Franz Harary
Jeff Hobson
Steve Biller (saw him on a PBS special a while back)
Don Jones
Dave Schwaninger
Todd Karr
Jim Bergstrom
and others that I cannot remember right now

I know what Harary and Hobson are up to, and Todd Karr (well as much as I can know from the internet). Have often wondered about the rest. I moved to Colorado almost twenty years ago, and have done a tiny bit of magic, and still have some props, along with some collectibles from Suzy and Neil Foster.

Richard I would be truly pleased to sign that picture for you. If I can work it out I may stop by Abbott's next year for grins. Please tell anyone looking for me to pm me here, I will check when I can.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember Steve doing the needle through balloon with a surgical glove. Funny bit in the contest. I have a photo of it. I think he became a comedy writer if I am not mistaken. I used to take a lot of photos back then. Now I am stuck backstage. But yes, I remember you. That is the problem with getting older...you remember way too much sometimes. It does not seem like 20+ years.

You can write me via my regular email if you would prefer not to discuss some things on an open forum.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
awolf10421
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of awolf10421
One of the few people I remember from the 80's contests (wonder if its because you're a girl?) none the less pretty cool since the 80's were a teenage blur for me and I havent missed a magic week for 30 years! glad to hear you didn't stop compleatly and I too have heard your name brought up many times ....

Lucy you really need to come next year and put an end to all the wonder of where you have been!!!

Not much has changed in Colon although last year it was a one horse town (the bridge was ONE WAY) during magic week and this year I didn't notice many Amish Land mines.

by the way there's a bunch of magicians on FB (im only saying that because I'm there LOL and Hobson has his official fan FB fan page there ..... Jeffhobson#1fan I have no idea why I know that or why he has such cool pictures up there? really though I think the photographer who took them should keep his night job telling jokes or doing tricks)

AWolf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » I dreamt of Suzy Wandas last night (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL