The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded vs. unexpanded (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Assuming you have several matching coins to fit your unexpanded shell, what are the pros and cons of each.

It seems to make more sense to work with unexpanded shells whenever possible
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
My experience is that unexpanded silver dollar shells and their matching coins look good and are easy to handle. Half dollar size unexpanded shells and their matching coins don't look very good to me, perhaps because the cut down coins appear too small.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 10:41, NicholasD wrote:
My experience is that unexpanded silver dollar shells and their matching coins look good and are easy to handle. Half dollar size unexpanded shells and their matching coins don't look very good to me, perhaps because the cut down coins appear too small.

Ditto...

peace, charlie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I've heard the argument that nobody expects a cut down coin so that's a better option than having something that looks big. However now that both half dollars and silver dollars are no longer pocket change that is likely a moot issue. Also at the time the technology for making expanded coins was new so flaring was a real issue.

net-net: IMHO unless you are using quarters and they are looking real close it's not going to make a difference.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree with above, have a "Dean set" of Morgans from Schoolcraft, feel good and shell fits great. 1/2s are just big enough without being cut down.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
For me, I like the fact that the unexpanded shell covers the whole coin. With an expanded shell you don't really get that with most sets. Also, with the unexpanded shell you could fip it over (with coin nested) and show it mouth up. With most expanded shells, this view (mouth up) does not look so good.

Although I have a Lassen expanded walking liberty shell set that looks beautiful mouth up with a coin nested. For Morgans, I definitely prefer unexpanded shells. However, I think these little nuances are things that only magicians worry about. Spectators don't even see most of those differences.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Agreed all around here. There are always exceptions right - I mean each set by each maker is a unique item in most cases. I've never seen to identical Expanded sets. My walking lib unexpandeds look a lil cut down to me (only a magician would see it) but my unexpanded barbers look perfect (work rim conceals it all). An unexpanded Morgan set should and most likely have a perfect vacuum fit when made well. I do have an Expanded morgan set that is incredibly well matched in size and the shell has NO rattle at all - one of those rarities I think. As everyone pretty much said - nobody but magicians will see this stuff. With quarters you just have to be more careful about your displays and timing, quarter shells even good ones by their nature look a bit odd if you are looking for it.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The unexpanded shell definitely has a crisp and normal look to it and the down side would be you have to purchase remilled coins with it. It's not really a down side unless you don't have a lot of money to spend.

The unexpanded shell is more versitile and it's all you would really need to perform the same effects, but the down side would be it doesn't look as crisp and normal. But most don't have any issues with this.
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
I own both and it really doesn't matter.

I use expanced 64 kennedy's and non-expanded liberty halfs. While I prefer the re-milled halves... the public will NEVER notice.

I must do coins across an average of 10 times a week and it really doesn't matter. Its up to you what you're most comfortable with.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I use both as well and never had a problem with spectators noticing that anything is unusual.

Regards, Steve
mcfrazier
View Profile
New user
PG County, Maryland
8 Posts

Profile of mcfrazier
Expanded lets you work with a borrowed coin, right?
--
Mac Frazier
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
A good unexpanded set will cost more but they are nice to work with. If the edges are re-milled it makes them easier to p*lm. But, if you are tight on cash go get a Johnson Expanded Shell and 4 matching coins. You can't go wrong with that. If you get an urge to splurge invest in a Schoolcraft or Lassen unexpanded set. I have a Schoolcraft Barber Deans set and it is like "butter".

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 18:21, mcfrazier wrote:
Expanded lets you work with a borrowed coin, right?

Yes, but in this day and age, probably only with quarters.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
"Ah, anyone here have a half or a silver dollar on them...I'll how you something interesting."
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded vs. unexpanded (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL