The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Original Cups and Balls Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-09-03 21:55, wmhegbli wrote:

I agree with the stage arm waving not fitting close-up magic. On stage your movements have to over accentuated, but for close-up this is not necessary.

I don't know where the stage magician arm waving, horrible facial expressions, stupid poses, and all that started but there is no reason for it to continue.

Seems to be something kids think they need to do as soon as they're on a stage.

Can't we stop this before the only people that go to watch a magic show are magicians?

It is over-acting to the extreme, completely unnatural, and completely unnecessary.
There should be a reason for every movement you do but that reason shouldn't be.. "Uh.. because I'm a magician, I guess?"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I like the stage persona. It's no different from some of the doom and gloom and mystical personas I have seen. It actually looks like he is having fun.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
I really like the whole concept with the Lego's, very cool indeed.

The whole arm waving, fingers twinkling stage thing looks goofy to me man, totally goofy, even on stage and it makes me wretch every time I see it. That is just this man's opinion though and Frank Starsini has made some valid points worth noting.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Very nice concept. Thanks for sharing.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
Very nice! I for one think you have a very good persona, maybe its just me but I had fun watching Thank you for sharing!
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hey Sterling,

Nice idea. I too would loved to have seen you build a cup... or maybe unbuild one a bit to get the first three "balls". I loved the music and think you have a real good piece for your full stage show ... kudos.

shawn

Oh, not a big fan of the thank you ending ... but that's me.
magicamanda
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of magicamanda
I love the idea! The routine definately brings childhood to mind. I am not a big fan of over acting, but it looks like you are having fun with it. I agree that building or unbuilding the blocks would add something to your routine. All around, I think it is great. Thanks for sharing Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-04 02:23, Pete Biro wrote:
Sterling... am putting a great thimble routine out... It is an updated routine I devised over 20 years ago.

I'll send you a vid when I get it ready. Should be withing a month or less.

Jeff McBride flipped over it and wants it badly!

Hello Pete,
This is a bit off topic for this thread but, if you like a different idea about thimbles, years ago (because I had a psychological problem in justifying the use of thimbles for a man) I covered them with Burgundy felt and added a little pompom, to make them look like small fez: it did open plenty of new avenues (having secretly designed a smiley face on the middle finger and initially openl designing one on the first finger...)
I'm toying now with the idea of mixing various types of little hats (that I bought from toyshops over the year or could easily make). This would make a hat change more topical than a color change... Just in case this idea would trigger some other ones in your fertile brain...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds like something very creative. Thanks for sharing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I realize that this thread is old, but I just now viewed the video. Well done!

I like the idea of Lego cups. I think that if you started out with the cups in two or three sections, assembled in front of the audience, it would look more fair and make use of the abilities that the bricks give you. I found myself wondering toward the end if you were going to magically build the final load balls in stages.

If it were my routine, I would make the cups to include the raised beads (offset bricks), for they now just look like boxes. With a longer taper, you might be able to get the cups to stack, leaving a very large attic space. I would also have various production items built from Legos, built in contrasting colors, to produce. This would go along with the Lego theme.
Perhaps you could switch out one of the cups for one that is supposed to produce a final load, but doesn't. You could end the routine by taking the top off of the cup to reveal a ball (real or Lego) within. Differently colored and too large to be removed through the cup's opening!

Nice concept! I would love to see what it has developed into since this video was shot!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Original Cups and Balls Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL