The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover Pass? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 15:29, wsduncan wrote:
Best budget answer: The Card Magic of Le Paul.
Best video resource: Earl Nelson's Lost Tapes video on the pass.

Richard Kaufman's video on the pass covers a couple of versions of the turnover pass.

Best unpublished handling: Steve Dobson's turnover variation of Herrman with a Twist. If you see Steve at a convention ask him.

I'm going to correct you here Bill,

Steve's pass is on Steve's DVD entitled "The Works" that was produced by Steve Books and The Magic Bakery.

What's great about this pass is that it completely eliminates a get ready and can be done without a break. For me, this is my go to pass for certain effects.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I thought that looked familiar Dorian!

Steve showed this to me at GGG and I bought "The Works" after his lecture and it IS a very nice pass!

MMc
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 18:13, Eric Fry wrote:
My only complaint about Hugard and Braue's Invisible Pass booklet has nothing to do with the quality of the instruction. But it bugs that they claim it as a new invention. Sheesh -- the turnover pass is in Roterberg and was often called the Herrmann Pass, which is a bit of hint that it predates Hugard and Braue. Even if Herrmann, Carl or Alexander, didn't invent it -- it now seems to be attributed to Hofzinser -- the very name indicates an older heritage.

Hugard & Braue's crediting in ECT and other places is a bit controversial, but their published works are still an important and very useful resource.
But, whatever the provenance of the turnover pass...
The turnover pass could be described as a type of Herrmann pass given the movement of the bottom packet. However, a standard Herrmann pass does not involve any rotation of the top packet.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
There's a awesome turnover pass variant that I use all the time in the book " by forces unseen"
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Not exactly a kosher turnover pass, but the pass and flourish, or spread pass from Paul Lepaul book is awesome.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Are the explanations on the Earl Nelson Lost tapes very in depth? Is it the best video instruction of the move?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
"Best" is a very subjective term. Different people think different explanations are better, and not everyone (if anyone) has seen all of them in order to make an informed decision. But Earl Nelson is a mighty fine card man, and he does a mighty fine job of teaching in my opinion.

The book Whit mentioned is excellent, if somewhat difficult to come by. There is a relatively easy turnover pass taught in Doug Edwards Packs a Wallop by Harry Lorayne. Bruce Cervon also has some work on the move (Novrec Turnover Pass?), if memory serves, in one of his books.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 15:04, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

The book Whit mentioned is excellent, if somewhat difficult to come by.

The book is a bit difficult to find, but a facsimile of the book is easily available from lybrary.com for the amazingly low price of $4.00. Less than a trip to Starbucks!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Eric Fry
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
Roterberg describes the turnover action as a cover for the Herrmann pass, so even the turnover element certainly predates Hugard and Braue.

I agree we can define the Herrmann pass and the turnover pass as two separate moves. For example, that type of pass, but without a turnover action, is the third pass in Hoffmann's Modern Magic.

We also can consider the turnover pass a variation on, or a covering action for, the Herrmann pass, the same way people use an up-and-down riffling action as a cover for the classic pass and call it a riffle pass.

My lengthy screeds make it seem as if I care a lot about this. I don't. It just bugs me that Hugard and Braue act like they solved the great problem of the invisible pass.
AlexMack24
View Profile
New user
Auckland, New Zealand
56 Posts

Profile of AlexMack24
On Joshua Jay's 3DVD set "Talk About Tricks", there is a nice subtlety that you can add to any turnover pass to make the angles better.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover Pass? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL