The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Have you ever pulled a rabbit out of an hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Before I developed an allergy to rabbits, I had a wonderful blue-eyed white Netherlands dwarf rabbit, who weighed just over 1 kg. I produced him from a hat using the following method.

I had an Owen mirror box -- the kind with a dropping gaffus -- that served as both carrier and actual production device. I had a piece of doweling that I stuck between the bars, which went under the gaffus, so that just before the production, I could lift the gaffus into position. This was upstage, with the bars facing away from the audience.

When I got ready to produce the rabbit, I would explain that I was going to cause a wild beast to appear. I picked up the cage, engaging the gaff at the same time, and placed it on the table. The rabbit was invisible at this point, even close-up.

I took off my top hat and waved a wand over it. Then I produced a white handkerchief from it, and said, "Behold, THE WILD RABBIT!" and formed a rabbit by weaving the hanky around my hand. I said, "not impressed, eh? Watch this!" I dropped the hanky into the hat, waved my wand over it, and picked up the hat by gripping the brim and the sweatband at one side. This gave me the opportunity to grab the hanky. I apparently poured the contents of the hat into the box, lifting the top of the box at the same time.

It looked for all the world as if the rabbit had fallen out of the hat into the box. Then I could close the bars so the kiddos could look at him, but not harm him.

I sometimes used the rabbit to make extra money on kid shows. If the parent asked about the rabbit, I would say, "Yes, for an additional $ 50, I will produce a rabbit." After a pause, I would say, "For $25.00 more, I will KEEP the rabbit."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Great thank you kindly.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Produce a rabbit from my hat .... no sorry never

A hair .... many, many times

:magicrabbit:

Everyone one else showed the good taste not to post that but .....
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I once pulled a hat out of a rabbit. Not much fun for me or the audience, and the rabbit didn't enjoy it one bit, either.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have pulled an egg out of a chick.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Bob Solari has a walk-around version of this effect, using a small chopped top hat, a mini-bunny and small white fuzzy balls that look like cotton-tails. It's a fun routine. I added the production of a small rubber duck, in the second-to last phase, which I give away (you can buy the mini-ducks by the bagful as party favors at Party City).

I'd like to try a real rabbit production, but don't know about taking on the responsibility of taking care of the animal.

Anyone used this new top hat for livestock productions? http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112247
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Emotionally and cognitively ... oh yes Smile

As far as livestock - again it's really a matter of what do do right after. Using a live animal in the same way a prop comic using equipment seems less than appropriate or respectful to me.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-09-07 11:43, stoneunhinged wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have any videos up of your kid shows, would you Whit? I'd like to see one.

(I was in a Pop Haydn mood last night and watched four or five videos. No kids in sight.

But then I switched to Tommy Wonder videos, because there is this woman in several of them who is wearing a really short skirt....)

Uh, no, I've never pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

They did not have video tape when I was doing kid shows. (T.G.)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is a dog toy available shaped like a top hat with three rabbits inside that your puppy can pull out.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd love to, but the inherent problems of working with livestock have thus far prohibited me from doing so.

I see no real point in producing a stuffed animal unless you are under 12 years of age...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I learned from my friend Tom in Michigan the opposit trick. I pull a hat out of the rabbit, and it gets great laughs especially among magicians.

I start with a rabbit puppet dangeling out of my real top hat. I announce that I am going to surprise the audience with my next trick, I pull the dangeling rabbit out, then I reach up his butt, pull out a crushable dress hat, put it on, and take a bow.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
No, I never have pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

I read the method in Tarbell long ago and immediately thought that if I ever did that, I would pull out a stuffed bunny and possibly give it away. It might not be quite as magical as a real live animal, but I wouldn't have to feed it.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Have you ever pulled a rabbit out of an hat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL