The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Knife Throwing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Ses, thanks for commenting. I have been a fan of your work for some time.

I was asking about the gaff more or less out of curiosity. I know we as sideshow performers love the fact that our working acts are 100% real.

but I have performed magic effects like the razor blades, thread, the russian roulette plot in my show (with the knife). Which basically blended in with my other material, but with the combined show Jess and I are framing up its going to be a different situation.

We're taking a yin and yang approach. Jess will be presenting visually beautiful magic in juxtaposition to the more visceral sideshow material. Jess's dove act could be followed up by something like a knife throwing act. I think the contrasting styles will create an interesting dynamic.

I think Todd really nailed it when he said "people will think its fake unless you work hard to convince them its not" I than that will be more true then ever with this show.

Again my thanks to Todd, Harley, Ses, Brett, gside and everyone else who cared enough to comment.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not usually in this area but I caught Elton's name and had to comment.

Elton is the real deal. He is trying to learn the right way to do the act. The gaffed board is not worth the money or time unless you have a huge television budget and sound crew. I like the fact that he is asking for help from (and getting) some sound advice from some of the best in the business. Besides working with Ward and Chris should qualify him for a masters degree at least.

Jess has the background and experience to pull off the magic also. I have worked onstage with her.

Elton, have you considered adding a bullwhip act. I just remembered that Joe and Bobby Fairchild used to do it. I think they also may have done the knife act.

Best to all at the Castle.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Thanks Richard, Good to hear from you my friend. A bullwhip act is a good suggestion. I have thought of it. Melvin Ray (who used to work with Bobby Fairchild) was with us for a few spots and worked with me on some basic whip cracking. I've never done any target work.

Actually Jessie and I's first show together was a variety show put together by WHIPBOY. He's a Michigan based variety artist/comedian. Does a lot of work in the Ren-Fair Circuit.

It's something to think about for the future.
sescarny
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of sescarny
Hey Elton.... No no, your not a fan, you're a friend. If you ever need any pointers (No pun intended) on knife throwing, drop me a line. Happy to help! You know Whipboy eh? Tell Brett I said hi!! : )
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-09-12 16:51, sescarny wrote:
Tell Brett I said hi!! : )

Not me... for the record.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Elton, as I read this thread what I wanted to say has already been said, but I'll repeat. I practiced knife throwing for one summer and switched to whips. It was a give and take. Knives require you to travel with the large targets but you don't need much ceiling. Whips travel small and play big but you MUST have the proper ceiling height.

The muscle memory is very similar but with whips when you do hit your assistant, and you will, it leaves a bruise at the worst. No trip to the ER.

I love a good knife act. I love a good cross bow act. But that is a lot of gear to travel with.

My friends call me Ted you can call me Mr. Rotten ; )
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
That would be Brett Copes- He doesn't go by Whipboy anymore. He is now the World Famous Brett.
He is the one who taught Sylver and I a lot of our whip skills.
As opposed to the amazing Brett Loudermilk who I lay blame on for my mousetrapping skills.
Looks like you are going in the right direction Elton! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Knife Throwing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL