The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mailing question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Hi guys, I am doing a direct mailing campaign to schools. should I include the prices of my packages in the mail as well?

Thanks!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Some folks have varying opinions, and experiences.

However, my thought would be that if it is a MASS mailing (1000 plus pieces) then I would include prices so as not to have an overload of calls, with their first/only question being,"what's the price??"

I do not include prices in all my mailings, however, when I do a mailing where I have a discount coupon for a special (new show, time of year etc.), I indicate what the reguler price would be. In a school market where your price would not vary (extensively) then your price soon becomes known.

My thoughts!

B
RebelEntertainer
View Profile
New user
John Abrams
73 Posts

Profile of RebelEntertainer
I personally don't list my prices.

There's a number of reasons for this. First, I DO want them to call or email me. If they call they can get a good feel for my personality and what I'm all about. It makes them feel much more comfortable about paying my fee.

Secondly, there IS room for negotiation. Whether that means a travel fee, a multi show discount, a discount for booking their sister school or any other sundry thing that might come up.

Thirdly, when they call (especially when they email), I now have the follow up information from a valid hot lead. This gives me the opportunity to follow up or offer them a free offer that helps them with their event (booklet or short email course).

And lastly, if you DO put your prices in your direct mail piece, you may be scaring away people that are used to paying a lot more or a lot less (according to your market and your price). If they never contact you, they'll never know if it was even possible to make it happen.

Oh, one thing I do to get them to call to talk about the show and not just the old "How much do you charge" is this. Instead of telling everything about the show, I allude to a few items. It gets them to call and ask about those particular pieces of the show. It opens up the conversation.

That's how I do it.

John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer & Assembly Entertainer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It all depends on how good of a sales person you are. If you know how to close a sale, do not list the prices.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My suggestion is that you test it for yourself, to see how schools respond to your mailings.

With school mailings, I have tested mailings with rates, and mailings without rates.

And I'll continue to test it both ways. So far, I've had enough bookings each way to continue.

Also, in regards to block booking discounts, or travel fees. You can address that in your mailings, and still be clear. I've included a rates sheet that is specific for that school / school district, that has an expiry date on it. It covers multiple show discounts, a complete price with all travel, etc.

It's a bit more work to create multiple rates sheets (one for each area), but who says you have to take a lazy approach?

Some performers call schools first to get a name before mailing, and some just mail to a generic title. It's a bit more work to do it the one way. The same can be said for including a specific rates sheet.

- Donald

P.S. In some ways I prefer to sell on the phone, but in some ways I know that including the rates up front is effective with some suspects / prospects / customers / clients (especially those making a group decision). Remember, they don't buy only based on your rates. They do read and consider the other information in your mailing, and look at your website.

In the past, when I didn't include rates, that was more because of my comfort zone, and not the customer's comfort zone. I found ways to justify my position, but then I learned to not be as fearful.

Also, consider this. They get two mailings. One performer includes his rates, but the other doesn't. Which one is easier to book at that point? If the prospect is busy, will they make the extra effort to call the person who didn't include their rates? Some will, some won't. At that point, for some, it's not about the price. It's about how hassle-free you seem to be.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

John,

I love getting calls because it allows me tell a cutomer about my other services.

The key to my response was the number in the mailing. I know some who send out several thousand mailers. I wouldn't have the time to respond to each by phone!
When I am out performing and someone is doing the phone for me, all they have to do is accept the bookings.

That's the way I like it!

Blair
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I put my price on my main mailing, but not on the follow-up postcards. I also have my school pricing on my website. I like having the schools call/email ready to book the show - price is no longer a factor at that point. I don't do this with libraries, only schools - it works for me. Of course all my mailings encourage them to go to my website where they can get more information - and that's what normally happens.

Just the way I do it.
Chad
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-09-09 21:59, Chad C. wrote:
I put my price on my main mailing, but not on the follow-up postcards.

I would agree with that approach.

If you are going to quote fees, be sure that you are able to give enough information for them to make an informed decision. Usually, there isn't enough room on a postcard to give them full information.

That's why you would put the rates in letters or online.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
RebelEntertainer
View Profile
New user
John Abrams
73 Posts

Profile of RebelEntertainer
Both excellent points Blair.

- John
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Gald to have you here John, I've just started receiving your news letter and I would certainly recommend it to anyone here. Some GREAT topics.

B
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I write direct mail for a living ... although these days it's mostly online "landing pages".

My perspective is that if you can tell your whole story in your direct mail piece, then by all means include your price.

But if you are just advancing the sale one increment ... like driving them to call for complete details ... or sending them to a website, then don't include your price.

Bottom line, if your letter covers all selling points, exploring all benefits and overcomes objections while establishing your credibility and motivates the prospect to act now ... include the price.

Oscar
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I would think a teaser rate would be a good option for an initial mailing...something like "Packages starting at $XXX" or am I completely off base? I have done very little direct mailing outside my regular clients.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Great point Chris ...

When there is flexibility in your pricing it's helpful to post a price "range" rather than a single amount.

Such as: Custom packages from $XXX to $XXXX ...

And by the way ... this is my 50th post ... Where are the dancing girls?

Oscar
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I mention price because the cover letter mentions if they book by a certain date they get $100 off.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mailing question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL