The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Halloween Costume (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I am turning down paid gigs on all day on the 30th and the night of the 31st. I will likely make more money in the competitions than at a dew paid gigs and it adds another great piece to my portfolio.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Where do you live with such lucrative costume contests? You've got me inspired to look a little harder where I am to find serious prize opportunities.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Find the nearest big city, and look for nightclubs. I don't know you personally, but I'd doubt very much that they are your "scene." I can't stand the places. Oversexed and underdressed college kids. Not what this good Christian boy is into exactly. But at least they can help me pay the bills for a month or two. This year, the big nightclub in Akron has 2 nights of contests, first place brings home $1200 cash and $1200 in prizes both nights. The place down the street should be around $1000.

If you find a place that has a little milder of an atmosphere, let me know. I'll look for something similar around here. The rub is that both contests last year were round of applause from the public, so it's a challenge to make sure you appeal to the drunk masses.
Jeff Wright
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Oh I can hold my own with the drunk masses, don't worry. ;}

The nearest city of any size is at least 2.5 hours from me. Central PA is a wide, slightly isolated place.

This year, with 2 little ones, I will settle for the wow factor for the batmobile I am sure we'll get for the kids parade in our tiny town.

I would imagine that with a first prize of over a grand, there's some serious competition.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
There is, but balloons are soooooo novel that they provide a very nice edge.
Jeff Wright
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-14 12:15, Jestnjoker wrote:
Find the nearest big city, and look for nightclubs. I don't know you personally, but I'd doubt very much that they are your "scene." I can't stand the places. Oversexed and underdressed college kids. Not what this good Christian boy is into exactly. But at least they can help me pay the bills for a month or two. This year, the big nightclub in Akron has 2 nights of contests, first place brings home $1200 cash and $1200 in prizes both nights. The place down the street should be around $1000.

WOW!!!
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I am on the wrong side of 40 and would feel way too out of place to attend these events. I guess I would have to find some younger and trendier folks to pay me a lot of money to make their costume for them. This could be another market for balloon artists: Making balloon costumes for folks going to parties.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Steve,

I'm all over that idea. I can't be everywhere at once so I'd like to dress some other people up and get them out to some other competitions. Take a nice cut from the winnings.
Jeff Wright
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
&hl
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 00:24, Kevinr wrote:
Been done already:
Cool Costumes:

http://www.yousaytoo.com/lovely/balloon-costumes/5821

BTW I am the 7th picture down!!! And did the Dragon & Tiger outfits. That was me and the Kim Tom Group in Shanghai China 2007.

See Great Balloon Fashion here: http://web.mac.com/markballoonguy/Balloo......ion.html

Video, Photos and hot chicks in Latex.......
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Kevinr, were you saying that dressing people in balloons has been done already? Ok.

Or were you just trying to show some cool pictures? Thanks.

I've worked numerous times with Joann and Marie.
Jeff Wright
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Yeah, the balloon costume thing is not new. I've had that Kim Tom email sent to me more times than I can count. It seems to come in waves. What I was intimating was the marketing to potential clients. It's not my thing, and I would not want to do it for professional and personal reasons, but I could see going to these clubs a few weeks before a costume contest and doing some guerrilla marketing.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 12:15, Jestnjoker wrote:
Kevinr, were you saying that dressing people in balloons has been done already? Ok.

Or were you just trying to show some cool pictures? Thanks.

I've worked numerous times with Joann and Marie.

I think balloon dresses have been done a lot usually on the womens side of wearables..

Men stuff not as much... maybe get a website "www.ballooncostumes.com would be cool.

I know you know Smile most don't
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
This has been an enlightening thread. I have been inspired. I just heard a radio ad for a restaurant/bar that I've been to many times for wedding receptions, that is having a Halloween costume party with an 80s theme. They often cater to my age group, which is rare around here. There will be prizes, but I am unsure of the level. I am planning to get some friend together, leave the kids at the grandparents (it's night before their trick or treat) - and enter the contest.

So I need an 80s theme costume, something that lends itself to balloons, and a modern resurgence of the theme wouldn't hurt. So obviously I am going to go as Optimus Prime, the Transformer. I will post pics.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Try to find Dustin Queary's for inspiration. Can you walk on stilts?
Jeff Wright
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
My center of gravity is already a foot over my head. So, stilts are out. I will look for that name. Thanks!
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Diamond Jam 2007 or 2008.
Jeff Wright
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I found the youtube video. Simply awesome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Halloween Costume (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL