The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » A day in the life of Docc... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Hi Docc,

Thanks for being here.

I am interested in what a day in the life of Docc Hilford is like.

Do you just lecture and perform for a living? Or, do you do other things as well? What type of performing venues do you work the most? And, where do you like to work the most? Are doing readings a big part of what you do?

What is an ordinary day for Docc?

Thanks

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Hello Simon,

Yes, performing, writing and lecturing about mentalism is my full time job.

I do private parties, ala Chan Canasta and night clubs in hotels. I occasionally do fund raising Gala shows.

I do table-to-table readings after my act in the restaurant/night club using SYSTEM 88. But I think a close friend (who will remain nameless until he steps forward) said it best when he said, "private readers are the birthday party magicians of mentalism."

Now what he meant wasn't a slam to either readers OR BP magi. He was stating what I believe is an astute observation. That many BP magi really desire to be stand-up, platform or stage magicians and settle for birthday parties because they think they're easier to sell and do. (Truly a misconception.)

Many (not all of course) private readers do the same. They wish they were on stage nightly, but settle for doing a reading at a psychic fair.

So I think my point, if I have one, is... we should pursue what it is we really want to do and not settle for what we think is easier.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
I was going to offer my many personal observations of a "day-in-the-life" with Docc Hilford, but those things may be best left unsaid...

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 14:20, Rick Maue wrote:
I was going to offer my many personal observations of a "day-in-the-life" with Docc Hilford, but those things may be best left unsaid...

Keep the change,
Rick

My sentiments exactly.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
A day in the life of Docc Hilford is one thing. A night in the life of Docc Hilford is another. I still remember one night in Pittsburgh, sitting at the Eat 'N Park after one of Rick's event that Docc was there for. Don't remember if it was a Docc lecture or the funeral for his haunt...regardless.

The first highlight of the night was when we were all seated and 4 teens walk on the outside perimeter of the restaurant. Docc sees them, flips the Italian horns at them and shouts "F-in Odin man! Right! F-in Odin man! Odin Rules!!!" And then silence.

The second highlight of the night was when Rick was driving Docc and I back to the hotel and I asked Docc what it was all about. The story behind the incident was more bizarre than any effect you'll see performed.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
I can tell you I was once banned from a bar that Jon was drinking in!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks for your reply Docc.

What are yoyur interests outside of mentalism?

Thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 18:35, aussiemagic wrote:
Thanks for your reply Docc.

What are yoyur interests outside of mentalism?

Thanks

You want to field that one Rick?
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
I got it Jon...but first let me put on some rubber gloves before I start typing...
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
And everyone please have proof of legal age handy.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Mental note: Stetson can keep a secret, but he likes everyone to know he has one... Smile

Hey, Docc! Seen anything more interesting than the maize carvings yet?

In Docc's spare time he hangs around Rosslyn Chapel looking for a clue...
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Pop Haydn!

Pop and I have been Travelers on a very strange journey. Docc and Pop, what a crew.

Whit has one of the best ways to work the street as a psychic and practice a certain writing skill known. few, if even more than he, another and myself have ever done it. But it is the best!

Thanks Pop.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 13:59, Docc Hilford wrote:
So I think my point, if I have one, is... we should pursue what it is we really want to do and not settle for what we think is easier.

Best advice in the whole Café.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 15:21, Whit Haydn wrote:
Mental note: Stetson can keep a secret, but he likes everyone to know he has one... Smile

I almost spit up my coffee on that one. Very funny.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Who is Docc Hilford?
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Toddy,

Look down at your left side. See that deep scar tissue? Remember, as a boy, feeling like you were never alone? The canvas tents. The eyes of marks gazing.

Then a hospital room, a scalpel and the feeling of separation; of, dare I say it, NORMALCY?

I miss you brother.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » A day in the life of Docc... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL