The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » Balloon routine. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Docc.
I am a big fan of a lot of your mentalism stuff. But I recently heard that you released a balloon routine. I open my kids show with a ten minute balloon routine using two 260s. I am curious about your routine: do you do magic with the balloon, make shapes, do gags or what? Obviously I am not asking you to reveal the routine in all its glory; that is for the video. But can you give us an idea of what it involves, and what audiences it is suitable for?
All the best, Tony.
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Back in the 1980s I toured the US booking and performing preschools. There were only 5 magi who worked that market, and I was one. I would book 40 in two days and spend the next two weeks performing. My act was 45 minutes long, used an opener that really got them going, a mouth coil used like a hat tear routine, and a ballon. The balloon comedy piece took about 20 of the 45 minutes.

At the time, the concept was new. About 1990 Flora & Co videoed my "20 Minutes with a Balloon" routine. It was a smash hit. I was equally happy with the warm ups n "Gentelmen Start Your Audiences". The production is typically Flors, not unlike Ed Wood, but the idea is this. My kid show was a comedy show for preschoolers. NOT comedy magic, but a comedy show. I never spoke down to them, but rather used Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka as a foundation of the magician who didn't really like kids all that much. They LOVED it!

I watched some of those kids grow up. Good times.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for that insight. I love the idea of doing a comedy show for kids. For the last few years I have opened my kids show with a routine involving two balloons and a mouthcoil. I would love to see all the twists you have put on the bare bones. My routine involves no volunteers, whereas from what I have read you use volunteers.
I understand from pervious posts here that there might be tension between yourself and Flora - or maybe I am picking that up wrong? Is the video still available?
All the best, Tony.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Did I ever actually look like that?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for that link. Tony.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have always LOVED the balloon routine at the end of E'Voque, and 8 to 80, wicked, mild, or crazy, who doesn't want a balloon hat? Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Dan!

You are sooooo right!

Only a few family performers have had the insight to read a booklet on mentalism and discover an extremely strong routine. But there are more every day.

In fact, a couple of guys ordered E'voque this weekend just for the balloon hat and the cocktail routine.

Koodos to you.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hai Docc,

In october you will be in Holland and I will be there at the lecture. I am really looking foreword to it!

Would you share in this lecture or perform the Balloon Routine? And will you have E'vogue (with the balloon routine) with you for selling?

Thankx for al your giving to the magic community! Looking foreword to hear from you.

My best,
Ronald
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Oh yes! Ill be explaining E'voque and I'll have a complimentary copy of E'voque (the entire book, including the balloon and cocktail routine) for attendees who want to purchase the lecture notes.

The lecture notes for the Euro Tour will be available through DoccHilfordProducts.com when I return. For now, the only way to get them is by attending.

But drop by DoccHilfordProducts.com and get a free trick as my gift to all you care heads.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » Balloon routine. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL