The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R U looking for a 2nd career? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
And I thought only magicians lied about their qualifications! (Referring to some advice I've heard and seen written to tell magicians to lie about who they are when they are checking out the competition or trying to sell themselves. Advice, by the way, I think is so very wrong personally .)

http://www.thestar.com/Article/696939
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Sadly, there are crooks in every industry.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
What about the idiots who hire these people? Aren't they just as guilty for not checking up on them? It seems that just a few minutes worth of effort would uncover that my PhD from Bob's School of Heart Surgery and Auto Repair isn't worth the paper its printed on.

These types of schools flourish because of incompetent hiring managers.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
How hard is it for an employer to check the school's accreditation? I know shortly after a job interview the employer called me because of a little snafu with my alma mater (it got sorted out, thankfully) - and this was a private industry, not government. I recall some years back, around 2003 or so, one of President's appointments had a PhD from one of those types of places.

At least we know the feds are working on it. *sarcasm*
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I remember a high school teacher in our area in the early 1980's.

He had been teaching for about 12 to 15 years and had come to the attention of the school board as being an outstanding teacher. They wished to give him an award at their annual banquet.

In preparing for the award ceremony, someone at the board level decided to do some background on the teacher to help them write an introduction. Turned out, the teacher was not qualified at all and had lied on their application when first hired.

Instead of an award, the teacher got the boot.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
So if you're going to lie, don't excel and don't do poorly.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
The part of the article that really got me was when the inspector's deadline came and went with nothing changing. Governments hard at work.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Sadly, Canada's anti-scam laws and enforcement are way behind the times. Just yesterday I heard an interview regarding a recent Ponzi scheme in which Canada was called "the Nigeria of the north". Ouch!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 15:06, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Sadly, Canada's anti-scam laws and enforcement are way behind the times. Just yesterday I heard an interview regarding a recent Ponzi scheme in which Canada was called "the Nigeria of the north". Ouch!

John

Still. VERY small potatoes compared to, say, Madoff. Also, if it is the same report I heard, one of the guys speaking (someone I know, actually) was clueless on a couple of things. I might PM you later on that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Please do. It was an interview on As it Happens

John
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 15:06, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

With all due respect, we've been calling Her that for years now...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
"Undercover reporter Diana Zlomislic graduated from the Ontario Academy of Science and Technology's Personal Support Worker program. In 15 days at the North York academy, she learned to fake a resume, fabricate references and lie her way through a job interview."

For 400+/- dollars, This sounds like a pretty well rounded education to me...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Smile I also remember an American stand-up comment opening his show with "I love coming to Canada. It's kind of like America-Lite."

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I demand an apology to the fine hard working people of Nigeria.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 16:13, MagicSanta wrote:
I demand an apology to the fine hard working people of Nigeria.

What a coincidence!

One just hired me to help get $3 000 000 000 out of the clutches of a corrupt lawyer so that the rightful heir, a New York citizen now by the way, could enjoy the fruits of their ancestors labour.

All I had to do was to forward my banking information, along with a few other personal details, so the money could be transferred into my bank account. I, being honest, would then forward the dollars to the rightful heir after deducting a modest fee of $30 000 for my efforts.

What a wonderfully nice man to even consider me! I have no idea how he found me.

I certainly hope this works out better than that awful man from Montreal who asked me to give him my money so he could invest it at high returns. I wondered what he's doing now? I think it is 17 to life.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
This has been a problem for a while, and it's very difficult for employers. It's not as easy to "check up on them" as was stated earlier. It's very hard to determine which training schools are providing adequate training and which are not. The schools that are providing less than adequate training are almost always still accredited and appear legitimate on paper. Screening tests help to weed out those who did not receive a proper instruction, but it is still not a sure-fire solution.

Another problem for employers is that once one of these "schools" is shut down, they must go through their entire employee roster and fire every employee that was credentialed by that institute, even if when they received their training, the school was actually on par, providing proper training. This can mean that many patients are instantly out of their favorite aides, and many properly trained workers are instantly out of work. It's a substantial and widespread issue in many states.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R U looking for a 2nd career? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL