The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Costume change in a show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I posted this originally in The Clothes We Wear
(http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=330591&forum=107&9)
and have gotten some responses. I'm asking here also to get the viewpoint of those who've probably worked through all of this for their shows.

Basically, I'm looking to do small stage shows for the whole family. I had an idea that a slight costume change would be good to separate the first half, which plays mainly to the younger kids and their parents, from the second half, which plays mostly to the older kids and up. I explained my thinking in my last post.

Any thoughts on this from y'all?
Ed
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Ed you can always wear a Jacket for the first half then leave it off for the second half. Also a change of waistcoat will seem like a costume change.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Change the jacket and you have made sufficient change. I begin my hypnosis show in a white tux. At one point I have Christmassy routines, so I take off the white coat and put on a santa jacket. At another point I am doing a regression routine and I put on a clown jacket. Three changes of costume, three jackets. Simple. Works for family shows as well. Tony.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Have you considered a "magical" costume change? I use both a bathrobe quick change as well as colour changing vest. Check out Lee Alex's site and you might find something that is of interest.

jeff
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
A simple solution for me include my reversible vest made by my magical mother in law Ruth.

Yellow to Purple..

Black to White.

Red and Black

Flag to White

They are not "color changing", just made back to back.

The above ideas with Jackets are also useful.

I have gone from Classy Evan Picone suit jacket to a pink one...(my wife used to work for Amway..you should see the car I drove in)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki begins his show with a costume change. He arrives and sets up in his classy black suit and necktie, but just as he is introduced, he steps behind a curtain and emerges in his Super-Hero Qua-Fiki costume. After clearing the area of super-villains like the invisible man, he demonstrates some of his super powers ending with the In-Again-Out-Again rope escape (from The Wiz Kids DVD on Rope Magic). Then he asks why the magic show hasn't started yet, and promises to go out and look for the magician Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki. Once again he steps behind the curtain and emerges on the other side in his suit, ready to "begin" his magic show as Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki.

He is currently finishing the show with a large escape from which he emerges dressed again in his Super-Hero Costume, but that's another story.

We helped him learn how to use the sewing machine and make his own break-away costume for the act. Now he is working on adding some jumbo clown sneakers as part of his Super-Hero outfit and sewing them so he can put-on-take-off in a hurry. He'll also use them for the "Self-Tying Shoelace" trick and is thinking of using Richard Sander's "Interlace" with them as well.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:54, Spellbinder wrote:
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki begins his show with a costume change. He arrives and sets up in his classy black suit and necktie, but just as he is introduced, he steps behind a curtain and emerges in his Super-Hero Qua-Fiki costume. After clearing the area of super-villains like the invisible man, he demonstrates some of his super powers ending with the In-Again-Out-Again rope escape (from The Wiz Kids DVD on Rope Magic). Then he asks why the magic show hasn't started yet, and promises to go out and look for the magician Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki. Once again he steps behind the curtain and emerges on the other side in his suit, ready to "begin" his magic show as Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki.

He is currently finishing the show with a large escape from which he emerges dressed again in his Super-Hero Costume, but that's another story.

We helped him learn how to use the sewing machine and make his own break-away costume for the act. Now he is working on adding some jumbo clown sneakers as part of his Super-Hero outfit and sewing them so he can put-on-take-off in a hurry. He'll also use them for the "Self-Tying Shoelace" trick and is thinking of using Richard Sander's "Interlace" with them as well.

All of this sounds very magical...after all if a magician needed to change his costume he would simply make it happen with some magic which is why I think a quick change is truly the way to go.

jeff
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
I think a quick change of some sort would be good... like the vest that is out there or some of the examples posted already. Other then that I don't think you need to do it... like have many different coats and change them out between each trick.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A good bit for Halloween shows (coming soon!) is to perform each trick in a different character and wearing a disguise to match. The kids have to first guess who you are supposed to be and then you perform the trick in character. For example, slap a whole bunch of band-aids on your hands and arms for The Mummy. Put on a cape and undercover of the cape, insert some fangs in your mouth for Dracula or a Vampire. Don't just limit yourself to monsters. Put on some thick gag glasses and a bow tie and inform them you are "that nerdy kid who sits in the front row of science at (local) school, etc. It's not exactly a costume change but it's entertaining. Dress your helpers up with your trick theme, too!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Costume change in a show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL