The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The pain of the click move... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
...dented one of my Sherwood copper cups. Ugh! Only small dent on one of the beads, but ouch.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Man! that's got a hurt.
...the magic that creates Memories!
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
That sucks! I'm afraid of the click move for exactly that reason!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Exactly why I do not do the click move.
Also another reason I no longer let people I do not know handle my cups.
Mobius
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'm beginning to believe that COPPER CUPS (tho my preference for "the look") are not the best cups to use. I have the PF RNTIIs that Don is holding for me right now.

You may remember that I posted about my Copper PFs sticking together when nested making the Charlie Miller Move an impossibility. Don said that the bead around the mouth hand inverted itself to the inside of the cup as if it had been banged over and over again on concreate. Obviously, that's not the case...no clue how they got into that position...

Anyone else have issues with Copper Cups (regardless of who makes em' RNT, Sherewood, etc.) easily denting? Just curious...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
A small dent on a bead. Must be nice. My poor cups look like some jerk throws them up in the air on every performance. Mine have many battle scars. I would trade them for a brand new set though.

If your cups are unmarked, you have to ask yourself, "am I a collector or a performer?"

Either is fine but your ding is a badge of practice or performance. 'Tis a fine thing!
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Bill help! I'm more worried than ever about getting a copper mini don... Is this model free of the same potential pitfall as the cups mentioned here? I'm guessing not, but the fear has a good grip on me.
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 00:26, Zacharias wrote:
Bill help! I'm more worried than ever about getting a copper mini don... Is this model free of the same potential pitfall as the cups mentioned here? I'm guessing not, but the fear has a good grip on me.

I have a Mini Don original that is aluminum. It's been in my routine now for 3 years and 9 years before that when my dad used it. No dent's.

Dents and battle scars add character to the cups if you are a worker.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
"The lady what sold 'em to me told me they were made out of 'soft metal' -does anyone 'ere know why they're made of soft metal?"

It's so you can spend 100$+ of dollars on a luxury item and then dink them up in normal use.

Ha ha ha...

PS- I love my TF phoenix cups. I bang on them continuously with an ironwood wand and they never seem to dent. Copper is the best metal for cups IMO.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
The first time I saw Kent's Silver Engraved Sherwoods I thought my God, what animal would do this! Then I realized the passion behind the countless hours dedicated to his routine. What caused this wear is beyond what many of us are willing to put into something like his world famous "Fun Shop C&B" and I've since concluded it's true love!

I've read countless threads about how to enhance "patina" so that our cups look old and seasoned..... Kent's cups ARE old and seasoned and consequently, the REAL DEAL!

Bang em and beat em, they love you back long time Joe! Smile

MMc
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 00:26, Zacharias wrote:

It shouldn't be a problem. The dings that these guys are talking about are the kinds that come from three cup routines.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 00:58, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
"The lady what sold 'em to me told me they were made out of 'soft metal' -does anyone 'ere know why they're made of soft metal?"

It's so you can spend 100$+ of dollars on a luxury item and then dink them up in normal use.

Ha ha ha...

PS- I love my TF phoenix cups. I bang on them continuously with an ironwood wand and they never seem to dent. Copper is the best metal for cups IMO.
Same here on the Phoenix Cups. We just had Michael Ammar in for a club lecture & workshop & I told him about my Phoenix Cups, he said it was a very good choice. I still don't get the complaint on the "attic space!" I don't have any problems with them at all in that regard.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Sir Richard,

I think it depends on the routine someone does. For my own routine I need to have them nested with 3 balls between. If I do the vernon routine it matters not a jot which cups / size I use though...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The attic space complaint is valid -IF- you do the nesting of 3 balls on top. I don't so I'm all good!

I just got a set of Cellini cups from Frank's "ambitiouscard.com" and the gauge of the copper is pretty thick on that one as well, so I forsee no difficulties tapping away there either!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Though I have not handled a set of Cellini cups I have only heard good things about them, I like the way they look too...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to the cups and balls museum and look at Gazzo's "used" cups. Looks like a truch ran over them, but the audiences could care less.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Chris G.
View Profile
New user
Germany
62 Posts

Profile of Chris G.
I bought a set of Cellini cups a couple of weeks ago. I work on some shakercup-style juggling tricks with them. If you are looking for a good way to get a lot af dents in your cups, I recomend the shakercup juggling. By now I got used to it, but when they were all new, it did hurt somewhat, seeing all these dents.

Christof
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Christof...

I'd never heard of "shakercup juggling..and was surprised to find this nice clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phvPr7LJwn4

And you did all that to your Cellini Cups??? Tsk Tsk...

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The pain of the click move... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL